Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First shots with M1917 I restored...I知 hooked!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just removed front sight as it was on backwards. I put a post war ding in my stock not being careful while removing so it wouldn’t get any dings! The .02” I drifted it to the left I ended moving it back...to the same spot it was originally pinged...so the front post is drifted back to where it was configured and probably will hit dead center if I had to guess. I’ll wait till tomorrow to shoot it after the fiasco. My fault, I put it on backwards when assembling it. I should have known as it went on hard. I greased it up before I re installed it this time. I still had to tap it in place with a wooden dowel. It just went on way more easier this time. I’m sure it’s probably tapered front to rear?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-12-2019 at 01:07 PM.

The sight picture will be much better now.Hey, things happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Second trip to the range. Thirteen shots later it’s sighted in! I didn’t load up very many shells so I was shooting in groups of three.

I read on line to try taking a piece of electrical tape and poke a pin hole through and stick to stock it on my shooting glasses over my dominate eye. I gave it a try.

Here is my first three shot group at 100 yards. It was still shooting 3” left and now low using my flip up peep sight slid all the way down.i never measured but approx a 2” group give or take.

Here’s the target...

I used my sight pusher and slid it to the left and shot another three shots...

Again, another 2” group if I had to guess and low again. I obviously moved it to far left so pushed it just a hair back to the right and slid the peep sight up this time about an 1/8th inch or a little more. You can see my three shot group. Two in the same hole in the bullseye and one went low and left...

Well I had five rounds left so I figure I’d try a group without my shooting glasses because they were annoying me and kept fogging up when I was shooting so I wasn’t to keen on the eyepatch pinhole recommendation. It was kind of dark looking through the pinhole anyways because I made the pinhole so small. I removed my glasses and “snuggled up on the bat” ...Wait, I could see my front post clear as day with my eyes snugged right up to my peep! Crisp and clear...and my three shot 100 yard group showed it....

YES!!! That oblong hole, dead center about 4” or so above the bullseye is a three shot group! Apparently putting a piece of tape with a pinhole over my shooting glasses changes my points aim as I shot high with my unprotected eyes. I’ll have to thank who ever the 223 shooter was that left their target at the 100 yard mark being my eyes liked the green background. I had two rounds left and was now shooting high so I slid my peep sight all the way down and fired again ay 100 yards. These are where my last two shots landed after sliding down my peep sight to the very bottom...

Well , I’m on the money. I never expected to shoot a three shot group with open sights that probably shot a .3” group or less! Too bad I didn’t have my peep slid all the way down or the tiny group would look more impressive. I impressed myself with my a half a century old eyes today as I shot a group tighter than the AR243 I load tested again today with a 14x optic in it! Maybe cleaning the barrel for the first time in two decades before I went out yesterday tightened my groups.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-14-2019 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12