Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I came across a revolver I have never seen in this configuration

I came across a revolver I have never seen in this configuration

I came across a revolver I have never seen in this configuration before. S&W model 19-2 round butt 6 inch barrel.
    All original. No box. Condition appears to be around 95%+. Not even showing a cylinder ring unless you look really close.
    It can't have been shot much at all. Everything is really tight as far as the lockup and cylinder gap.
    I have never seen a round butt model 19 before.
    He also had a model 17-2 with 6 inch barrel that looked not quite as good as the 19.
    I had gone in there to trade for a different handgun but ended up trading for the 19. I have been looking for one of these for 10 years but could never find one I could buy at any kind of reasonable price.

Never heard of that.
    But I looked it up and they say all #19s made after 1996 are round butt.
    You can get square butt grips to convert it back, but not grips to go from square to round.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Could it be a round butt model 19-2 that was re-barreled and re-blued?

Perhaps it started life as a 2.5" barrel Model 19?

Looks like this one was made in 1963-1965 from what I can find out. I didn't get the serial number so can't get closer at this time.
    I have never shot a K frame with a round butt so I will give this a try before I do anything to it. I may put a set of Pachmayr grips on it if I do anything. Those are my go to grip for k frame revolvers.
    Either presentation or gripper.

Boolit Master

You will like that rnd butt K-frame....................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Could it be a round butt model 19-2 that was re-barreled and re-blued?

Perhaps it started life as a 2.5" barrel Model 19?
    That is certainly possible. I don't have enough background on the weapon yet to tell for sure.

Banned
    Regardless of how it came to possess that 6" barrel (at the factory or later in life) it's still a great gun.
    I have shot many round butt K-frames and they are fine guns. The Round Butt configuration was/is favored for concealment because it breaks up that sharp corner at the back of the grip. Full size, Square butt grips are nice when you are dealing with a duty gun or a target gun but the round butt models are not difficult to shoot IMO.
    In any event, if the grip doesn't work for you, it's no big deal to convert it to a larger square butt pattern. As stated in a prior post, all modern S&W revolvers are round butt configuration and the style is selected by which grip is installed.

My gut feeling is the gun was originally fitted with a shorter barrel. A factory letter would end all doubt but why pay that money for a letter? If it doesn't work for you, simply change the grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Regardless of how it came to possess that 6" barrel (at the factory or later in life) it's still a great gun.
    I have shot many round butt K-frames and they are fine guns. The Round Butt configuration was/is favored for concealment because it breaks up that sharp corner at the back of the grip. Full size, Square butt grips are nice when you are dealing with a duty gun or a target gun but the round butt models are not difficult to shoot IMO.
    In any event, if the grip doesn't work for you, it's no big deal to convert it to a larger square butt pattern. As stated in a prior post, all modern S&W revolvers are round butt configuration and the style is selected by which grip is installed.

My gut feeling is the gun was originally fitted with a shorter barrel. A factory letter would end all doubt but why pay that money for a letter? If it doesn't work for you, simply change the grips.
    That last sentence is why buying the gun didn't even raise a question for me. The trigger on this one is excellent in both double and single action. It doesn't feel lightened, just very smooth. I may need to find out who the previous owner was and give him a call to get the history.

Super Moderator

I have a more than a few of S&W round butt revolvers, and on four of mine I have changed over to the square butt target conversion from Altamont. The Olivewood Roper style grip is my choice, if you don't like the round butt style. These grips are a true work of art, and improve the shootability on certain guns, at least for me anyway. Click on the K/L round to see the conversion grips.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...esson/k-round/

Those are some beautiful grips. Real art work.

Boolit Master
    A 19-2 round but with 6” barrel is certainly an odd duck. Easy to conceal grip frame with a six inch barrel...

Ramp front sight or Partridge? Target trigger or hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I came across a revolver I have never seen in this configuration before. S&W model 19-2 round butt 6 inch barrel.
    All original. No box. Condition appears to be around 95%+. Not even showing a cylinder ring unless you look really close.
    It can't have been shot much at all. Everything is really tight as far as the lockup and cylinder gap.
    I have never seen a round butt model 19 before.
    He also had a model 17-2 with 6 inch barrel that looked not quite as good as the 19.
    I had gone in there to trade for a different handgun but ended up trading for the 19. I have been looking for one of these for 10 years but could never find one I could buy at any kind of reasonable price.
    I have a model 19 round butt 2.5" with a matt finish and mother of pearl grips. I bought it new from Turners in LA. The story goes that it was designed for the postal inspector and was an over run. I added the grips, It fits my hand like it was made for me. It points and shoots where i'm looking...
    Last edited by gnostic; 08-09-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

My very first pistol was a model 19 Combat Masterpiece bought in the mid 60's. Round butt 2.5" barrel.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I go out of my way on all S&W revolvers to end up with a little round butt. For my smallish hands this is the perfect fit. Would be a wonderful shooter!

^^^^^Yes, a little round butt is always nice. Gp

Boolit Master

I have a set of guide plates sitting in a box someplace that are supposed to be used for converting square butts to round butts. Check the bottom of the grip. If this wondrous pistol was created by grinding off the edges of a square grip frame, and the number on the bottom of the grip was defaced in the process, you may have a problem.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I have a model 19 round butt 2.5" with a matt finish and mother of pearl grips. I bought it new from Turners in LA. The story goes that it was designed for the postal inspector and was an over run. I added the grips, It fits my hand like it was made for me. It points and shoots where i'm looking...
    I also have one I purchased back in the early/mid '90s. It has an exceptionally smooth action, matt finish, Pachmyers grips wide smooth target trigger and target hammer. It was said to be an over run for the federal air marshals and since two air marshals showed me their identical issue revolvers I believe it.

Attachment 246500
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I must apologize. I misread the model. My only excuse is old eyes and/or poor lighting.
    The revolver is a 19-7. The nearest I can tell to a proper manufacture date without a serial number lookup is 1995. In 1995 all were made with round butt and in 1996 they stopped making the 6 inch barrel.I suppose it might be a 1994 since that is when the 19-7 started production but it was unlikely to be a round butt with a 6 inch barrel.
    Anyway, here is a picture of the revolver for your viewing pleasure. All the shiny/silver spots on the gun are reflections from the lights in the shop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized2300001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	246527

First part of serial number is CAN87xx

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I also have one I purchased back in the early/mid '90s. It has an exceptionally smooth action, matt finish, Pachmyers grips wide smooth target trigger and target hammer. It was said to be an over run for the federal air marshals and since two air marshals showed me their identical issue revolvers I believe it.

Attachment 246500
    That's the same gun as mine, hammer and trigger etc, I bought this revolver in the mid nineties. You don't see matt finished S&W's everyday...

Boolit Buddy
    Those are some very nice revolvers. Round butt Smith’s are my favorite DA grip, I have round butt J & K frames and did have round N frames. Love them all.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast