Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Are you looking for Varget?

Boolit Master

Are you looking for Varget?

Have been doing some load development with a RUGER #1 - .223 and at this point Varget seemed to be a bit better then the other powders tested.

Guess if I can't hit "it" with a 3/4" group, I would have likely missed anyway.

My local shop didn't have any Varget and their other stores under the same owner ship were in the same condition. Nothing on the shelf, powder on order and who knows when it might arrive.

So, I checked my usual sources of Midway, Midsouth and Natchez and same thing, nothing!

Then thought I'd check Powder Valley and bingo, Varget available - yesterday - in both 1 and 8lb. containers.

They also had the Hornady V-Max 55gr bullets in stock in the 250count boxes, so my order is on the way. Should be here next week

Anyway, if looking for powder, don't forget to check with Powder Valley.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Just idea try IMR 4064 in the place of Varget .I have made the data from Varget .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Thanks Trapper!

Think I am done testing. Happy with the 3/4" groups even though I did shoot that 3/8" group in 1982 before selling the rifle.

Another story I'll spin if anyone is interested.

As said, if I can't hit it with a 3/4" group I'd have missed anyway.

CDOC

Varget is the powder that has given the best results in a Ruger Mini-14 with 77 grain cast lead that has been Powder Coated. I do have some 4064 and BL-C3 but the BL-C3 seemed "sharp" and distinctly temperature sensitive. Worked ok just on a hot day what was already feeling like a "hot" load just got hotter.

For a long time Varget was really hard to find, then 1 lb. bottles started to appear, eventually the 8 lb. bottles came back.

Man does loading for .223 go through the powder! Each round isn't really a lot of powder but it is enough and one does ttend to load and shoot a lot of them.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Around here in the past Varget was hard to find ,IMR 4064 was easy to find. In some past post it was stated that what Varget dose, that IMR 4064 can do better.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Around here in the past Varget was hard to find ,IMR 4064 was easy to find. In some past post it was stated that what Varget dose, that IMR 4064 can do better.
    I think there may be some difference in performance in auto loaders and bolt action, also there are some different auto loader mechanism to accommodate which may influence how well a certain powder or load works. I tried BL-C3 because it was an available replacement, think I purchased some 4064 for same reason.

The Varget worked well with my heavier bullet so I stopped really looking for something else. Knowing there was at least a functional load in those other powders is insurance if nothing else.

I may at some point try to get some semi-serious load development done with 4064 but I see good accuracy and cycling with the Varget so I bought a pile of it, don't see any need to rush into replacing it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Do you mean BLC2?

I've been buying Varget from Walmart and yes I like the way it flows in my Dillon...

Varget is a powder I didn’t know I needed until I tried it- and now I try not to run out.

Boolit Master
    Well, considering I am 76years old, and the 8lbs. of Varget I ordered will as of now be teamed with my RUGER #1 single shot, the 2000+ shots from that jug of powder may well do me. But then, considering the clinton ERROR, and the obamanation and the possibility of another such period in the future, it will be good to have that stash.

Smart folk will be seeing to their component stashes while supplies are available.

CDOC

USMC 77, USRA 79

i just ordered a few lbs of powder from Powder valley.. from there it shipped to Belvue Washington, from there it goes to a barge company, then to ketchikan via slow boat, then from ketchikan to a place called Thorne Bay, when I will make the 150 mile trip to pick it up.. cost for 8 lbs of aliant steel, well over 300 bucks!... its the difference between a good duck season, and no ammo.. thank you Powder Valley!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Humm that's sure along ways to kill a few ducks,so you got the fever too...
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 08-11-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I use Varget in my 30-06 A.I. with 180 grain Gamekings. It works like a charm.

I have loaded some for my 30/30 A.I. with different jacketed bullets, both 150 and 165 grain, but haven't tried them yet. My Ruger #1B likes it just fine and it doesn't beat me half to death as did the IMR 4350. It was also very accurate, but I'm getting too old to be not enjoying my shooting.

And I like to practice with what I may hunt with.

Plinking is a different story.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I am using Varget in my AR10 .308, and love it. Everyone is telling me to buy 4064, but I'm so happy with the grouping I am getting, I am standing pat, for now.

Boolit Master

+1 on Varget for my semi-autos...meters well too
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Varget is my go to powder for anything in .30 cal and heavy bullets, top performer in .308 Win./30-06 and 175-220 gr SMK's is magic.