Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 165gr RNFP cast for 30-30

Boolit Mold

165gr RNFP cast for 30-30

Just joined this forum today to get info on a load that I don't seem to find in manuals, altho, some come close. I have some Missouri coated 165gr RNFP to load in my Mod 94, 20" barrel. I'd like to use about 8.0gr Unique or perhaps 2400. Brinell hardness is 18 if that matters. Strictly for plinking. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Good afternoon Rifletom and welcome to the best site you will find for answers to questions like yours and in fact anything to do with shooting/hunting, handloading, casting, etc.
    I went to my Lyman reloading handbook, 49th addition to answer your question concerning the 165 gr RNFP for 30-30. The data in the manual is for the 170 grain Lyman 311291. The Lyman manual typically uses Lyman #2 alloy which has a hardness of 15 BHN. I believe for the purposes you are asking that the hardness is close enough to use the 170 grain information in the Lyman manual. For Unique powder the manual lists a start load of 7.0 grains for a pressure of 19,800 CUP, and a maximum load of 10.6 grains for a pressure of 36,000 CUP. 2400 powder is listed with a starting load of 15.0 grains of powder for a pressure of 25,500 CUP, and a maximum of 18.5 grains of powder for a pressure of 37,500 CUP. I strongly advise that you start off low and do a careful work up for any and all of your loading regardless of caliber. In direct answer to your question: Yes 8 grains of Unique should be a good place to start for your 30-30 and your 165 gr RNFP.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Mold
    Much appreciated smoked turkey. I have the Lyman #50, so my "close" was what you mentioned, just wanted a bit of assurance. 8gr Unique is where I'll start and probably go no higher than 9gr.
    Ironically, 8gr Unique is my load with 250gr LRNFP in my .45 Colt Henry. Thanks again.

Boolit Master

Rifletom, great that you have the Lyman 50th addition. I think your on the right track with your 8/9 grain loads. You try a few and send a report on how it went.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Mold
    Will do. Cooler today, so, I'll probably load those today. Shoot Mon, hopefully. I'm not to hot at posting pics anywhere, but, I will report back with results.

They are considered hard cast, GC and 8gr unique or 14-16 of 2400 works fine. Tip rifle up before firing to prevent vert stringing due to powder position or add some Dacron filer - a pita.
    Whatever!

Rifletom - I chrono'd my sis's Marlin 336W with 20" barrel using the same boolit as you.

Results:

NOE SC165-165-RF, Gas Checked, Powdercoated
    Unique 8.5 grains
    5 shots
    Avg FPS: 1358
    Extreme Spread: 9
    Standard Deviation: 3
    Power Factor Avg: 224

I haven't had a chance to do more accuracy testing to see the sweet spot for loads. However, you will have no problem using 8 grains of Unique. Unfortunately, I've never used Alliant's 2400. powder.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks popper and iMigraine. Hadn't thought about a gas check. Are they needed with 8-9gr Unique and that bullet? Or, am I good? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifletom View Post
    Thanks popper and iMigraine. Hadn't thought about a gas check. Are they needed with 8-9gr Unique and that bullet? Or, am I good? Thanks.
    I gonna say nope. I don't use a gas check until I approach the 1800 fps area.

8/9 gr. of Unique puts you in the 1200-1300fps range. You shouldn't need a GC at those velocities.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I agree with fastdadio & redhawk0. I've read on this forum that gas checks are a must with higher pressures but they also aid in accuracy compared to plain based boolits at lower velocities levels. Gas checks are kinda a pain in the butt. However, if I'm going to go through all the trouble to cast, powdercoat, and size; then I want the added benefit of accuracy as well.

Will work without the GC but accuracy will suffer. My PB load is 7 unique for a 170gr. 16gr 2400 is GCd, still not much recoil.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome Home Rifletom !
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Mold
    OK, thanks all! I'll load up with 8-9gr Unique and see how things go. Any other bits of info is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

I find that 9-10 grains of Unique is less positional in the 30-30 case and gives excellent accuracy and low recoil. I also like 10 grains of Red Dot. For a case filling load Trail Boss while not quite as accurate makes a nice really low recoil load in the 7-8 grain range.