MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buckbuster 12 gauge slug

This is looking good, I like the idea of having additional pins to vary the skirt thickness and think it should be part of the end result. From what I can gather, a pin for the standard Buckbuster and a pin for the Turbo style would be doable? I would be in for one if those options are available.

Boolit Grand Master

I understand you jmort. I would like having a second "turbo" style pin to go with.

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then that makes sense... Buckbuster pin, turbo pin and maybe a couple (or couple pair) of spare Buckbuster pins I can turn myself if I want a thicker skirt but Buckbuster style pin.

I will say that so far I have had better success casting with rounded or pointed pins. I find that with flat or near flat top pins slugs often wind up with a small cavity or pocket at the top of the pin. I'm guessing small air pockets sticking to the flat top.

Let's do this! I need another Mihec mould and this is the one!

Longbow

I'm A Honcho!
    Prices will be higher to set the mold threshold lower. But will reduce the time of the buy by half or more.

Bob is working the design now.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

I'm A Honcho!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slug Concepts.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	246922

Please see attached and read the following:

" Please look at the attached jpeg. Basic dimensions are as per post #1. The original hollow base plug will stick with a cramer type pin set up. A 10 degree draft is MINIMUM for it to release well. Any variation in hollow base pin type will require 100 pins each (at least right now). All the new solid line configs can be done with one pin type, but you would have to cut them yourself. A basic 0.08" base wall hollow base plug could be used to make thicker walls or a Turbo type pin as shown. Weight will vary of course. About 16+ molds could be had with 6 hollow base pins per mold allowing you three full sets of base plugs (6 per mold). The Lee tumble lube body comes into play if you want a full groove slug from this cherry later. Think about it."

Now lets come to a consensus and we will turn into a group buy.

Based on the configurations...expect to pay more. Rationale...you would get 25 mold worth of pins for the run of 16 molds.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I'm in!

My preferences:
    - original Buckbuster nose profile
    - one set Buckbuster style pins (10°) for 0.080" skirt
    - If available, one set Buckbuster style pins (10°) for 0.100" skirt
    - If available, one set turbo pins (10°) for 0.100" skirt
    - If only original Buckbuster style pins are available then I'd take 2 or 3 extra pair for 0.080" skirt then I can turn turn from there if I want to play. I would take blank pins too if available ~ that is turned to suit mould blocks and drilled and tapped for Cramer sliders but no profile on the pin.
    - I'd go with the tumble lube design because I'd like full bore too if available later. Having said that if the tumble lube grooves add significant cost and there is little interest by others in full bore slug then smooth is fine with me.

Let's see what everyone else wants and get this going!

I'm excited!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

If I am understanding correctly, he is willing to sell extra of the same plug, which you could modify yourself? That sounds like a good plan. I had a feeling the base had to have more taper, no big deal.

I want one standard buck buster slug mold with an extra set of (2) pins, assuming double cavity. I have no interest in a full bore version.

Banned

Absolutely love the design
    A full bore version would be super cool
    As stated, I am good for this regardless
    Would be nice to get two finished pins, one original and one smaller one creating a smaller HB with thick skirts
    And then follow-on with a full-bore
    Would like those pins finished
    Not a DIY machinist
    Would be good for two of each
    I am jazzed
    Last edited by jmort; 08-18-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Absolutely love the design
    A full bore version would be super cool
    As stated, I am good for this regardless
    Would be nice to get two finished pins, one original and one smaller one creating a smaller HB with thick skirts
    And then follow-on with a full-bore
    Would like those pins finished
    Not a DIY machinist
    Would be good for two of each
    I am jazzed
    I agree with jmort. I'm no machinist but would like the option of extra pins. I've purchased three different moulds offered by Svarog and each had optional pins at a nominal cost. I'm in on one of these but believe "finished" pins should be offered with a mould in this price range. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Just to be more clear, I am interested in what is labeled as ".080" base wall" on that drawing for my base pin. While I can understand the interest in a thick walled style "turbo" base, I would second guess a flat top. I had one of mine originally cut with a flat point, and it was nothing but problems. Lead would splash off of it, which caused uneven fill, and was partially solved by pouring with the mold angled. The big problem was air bubbles. The only way around that is to cull the bad ones. Scrap rate was around 25% or more. I rounded the top of that pin off, and it made it SOOO much easier to cast with.

I understand the problems that could be encountered with the pins having a flat top as both Longbow and MSM have posted and how they could trap air bubbles. I'm not saying I want or need or need "Turbo pins" I would just like the option of different wall thickness and depth of the pin so one could vary the weight and balance. Again, similar to the options given by Svarog on their 525 Lyman clone. This isn't a deal killer for me. I like the slug and can always just pick up the base model. Gp

Banned

The pin designs are intended to address all potential concerns

I'm A Honcho!
    Final design will be based on your comments. Should be ready to go live this week.

Im going to run this and the full groove slug at the same time. So settle on the final design and we will go to Group Buy.

Boolit Grand Master

What is the proposed full bore/full groove slug diameter?

If this goes, I'd like at least 0.730" diameter and more like 0.732". Having said that, if both moulds run at the same time I will likely choose just one and I suspect it will be the standard Buckbuster wad slug. Two moulds at once is a bit extravagant for me but... I do like shiny stuff!

Also, I just noticed... no wad slug diameter on the sketch ~ I'd like 0.681" +/- 0.001" per msm's original proposal.

Longbow

Banned

.730" to .732" would be fine by me
    At .730" it could be coated
    I am thrilled that we are doing wad/sabot version and full bore
    45.2.1 really set this straight along with our Honcho
    Bless these two men

Boolit Grand Master

Let's see what others want and get this going! I am looking forward to adding a Mihec 2 cavity slug mould (or maybe 2) to my collection!

Yes, 45.2.1 and Bluejay get some attaboys for this alright!

I'm A Honcho!
    I’m going to ask him to go final on the design. Short nose. Three sets of pins. A finished larger pin for thinner walls that can be turned to make the thicker wall pin. The three solid line pins in the drawing.

Boolit Grand Master

Is the plan ~ mould plus the three sets of pins or a choice of pins with the moulds? For me, I'd go with 2 pairs 0.080" Buckbuster pins (or maybe 3 pairs if spares are available) and one pair of 0.100" Buckbuster pins. I can turn the Buckbuster style to make a turbo style if I want though I'd round the top some.

turbo pins I can live without if there is a choice.

If it is mould plus all three pin styles, no problem. Spare Buckbuster pins in 0.080" and/or 0.100" would be nice though.

I'm getting more excited!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy

I would like to go full bore, jmort brings up a very good point in room for coating with the .730. I powder coat all my cast boolits now and I would prefer that size.
    I like the idea of the extra pins however I do not have the ability to turn one down to match the Turbo design. I’m hoping someone might offer to do that for a minimal fee.
    Do we have a ballpark price for these molds?

Boolit Master

Not smart enough on this subject to offer any ideas. Been having poor results with Lee slugs. Maybe its time for a new slug mold. I know a few of you here and trust your opinions. I will join for sabot and full bore slug.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast