Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buckbuster 12 gauge slug

Boolit Grand Master

Buckbuster 12 gauge slug

I am looking for someone to run this as a group buy. This is an old design from a company that went out of buisness almost 20 years ago now. I still think this is the most well designed slug for in a standard shotcup. The slugs as sold were swaged, and ran just shy of 1 ounce. They also made heavier and lighter versions, but I never had any. Due to the removal of the hollow point, and having to taper the hollow base more for casting purposes, this "1 ounce buckbuster" is guestimated to run close to 1 1/8 oz. Feel free to made adjustments if the hollow base is not tapered enough, or other tooling challenges. The body diameter is a straight .681", and I'd like a plus or minus .001" tolerance on that. Not minus .002".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buckbuster.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	246438

Banned

I am up for most anything

.678" makes sense
    Eliminating the sharp step and just making it a RNFP makes sense
    I would also make the skirt thicker

Hope one of the Honchos gets on board

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I am up for most anything

.678" makes sense
    Eliminating the sharp step and just making it a RNFP makes sense
    I would also make the skirt thicker

Hope one of the Honchos gets on board
    That would be a whole different slug, the buckbuster is one that has been tested and works well. I'm willing to accept small changes, but I'm only interested in a buckbuster copy. The buckbuster skirt is that thin.

Banned

It is an improved slug, not completely different
    Foster slugs are “proven” but not my favorite design
    The modest suggestions I made are all improvements
    I think you will find this process frustrating if you think my modest suggestions are a “whole different slug”
    Do you think .681” will fit the wad better ?
    Do you think a thin skirt that will collapse is better ?
    Do you think a sharp step shoulder is better ?
    I guess so
    I will just watch and see how this goes
    I hope you get what you want

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    It is an improved slug, not completely different
    Foster slugs are “proven” but not my favorite design
    The modest suggestions I made are all improvements
    I think you will find this process frustrating if you think my modest suggestions are a “whole different slug”
    Do you think .681” will fit the wad better ?
    Do you think a thin skirt that will collapse is better ?
    Do you think a sharp step shoulder is better ?
    I guess so
    I will just watch and see how this goes
    I hope you get what you want
    .681" is what the buckbuster is. It fits most common wads perfectly. .685" is too big for most wads, and while .678" is not a huge difference (better than too big), why would you want to change? The thin skirt works fine. I've shot them with heavy powder charges. If anything it helps bump up in the bore. I have recovered slugs to prove this. The shoulder is for a roll crimp to set on. The original buckbuster has a square 90 degree shoulder, I have this one drawn with a 55 degree shoulder for tooling considerations.

Boolit Grand Master

I also read about the Buckbuster slugs, have loading info and I believe I still have an old magazine or maybe 2 with article(s) on the Buckbuster slugs. They were indeed considered to be quite accurate from what I read.

The closest I know of is the BPI swaged slug:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fo...tinfo/7000002/

More like what JMort is talking about. Seems to me BPI used to have a 1 1/8 oz. version too.

I'd be leaning to the larger diameter like msm though as it should swage to fit and I am inclined to think that a relatively soft HB slug in wad that is oversize for the bore will swage down and that is better than slugging up.

Mind you, I am leaning away from shotcups lately due to the varying fit issues. Thinking bore diameter+ slugs are a better way to go.

Having said that, I just might be interested in this one... especially if it is a Mihec mould and 2 cavity or better. I passed on the Mihec Lyman sabot slug clone and the NOE Lyman sabot slug clone but this one I think I'd go for.

I'd like the square shoulder but really nothing wrong with what you have there so not a deal breaker.

I'd suggest the option of having 2 or 3... or more different HB pins to allow thicker skirt and different depth HB.

0.681" diameter suits me but another option might be if the cherry can be orbited as Mihec often does, the same cherry might make 0.678" to 0.685" moulds of otherwise same design.

A few thoughts.

Longbow

I'm A Honcho!
    Settle on the diameter and I will pick this one up.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master

.681" is the correct diameter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Settle on the diameter and I will pick this one up.
    Very accommodating as usual

I'd be interested in getting one of these "Buck Buster" moulds and agree that .681 would work for me. I like the step to give a point of purchase for a roll crimp. Also I'd like to see three different pins available so one could vary the skirt thickness and slug weight and balance. Gp

Boolit Master

been watching this thread and now that we got a honco onboard I would be in for a mold or two.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then... no more fence sitting! I'm in if:

- this is a brass Mihec mould and preferably double cavity
    - I can buy extra stock HB pins to machine down if I want to play with skirt thickness... or there are optional pins supplied
    - diameter is at least 0.678" or variable diameter (0.681" is fine by me)

I've passed on too many moulds I would have liked... maybe didn't need but would have liked. I want this one!

Let's make this happen!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds good guys, never been in a group buy but I am interested as well in the .681 and would also prefer double cavity.

Boolit Grand Master

Additional base pins would be a nice addition. I would be interested in a 2 cavity. I prefer aluminum myself, but would have no problems at all with brass if that is what MP uses most.

Banned

Smaller hollow base pin for me
    Would like to get the weight up and have a stronger slug
    Just enough to get the weight forward for badminton effect
    The ACE group buy had different pins including the smalker "Turbo" pin, large pin, and a blank
    The last three MP shotgun group buy molds have been two cavity brass
    I am usually good for two molds

Boolit Grand Master

What is the ACE group buy. Was ACE a mold company?

Banned

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I bet you hear that one flying down range. That is scary similar to another mold I have. It is almost identical to the ACE slug pictured, hollow base and all, except mine has .500" meplat.

Boolit Grand Master

That's another one I passed on. Should be good for rifled gun but I doubt it is weight forward enough for smoothbore.

Yes, extra pins! I can machine my own so a design as per your drawing with extra stock pins is good then I can turn down pins as I want.

However, having say 3 different diameter and length pins supplied so skirt thickness can be increased would be nice.

It would be worth checking if the cherry can be orbited to produce different diameters as well. It is done with boolit moulds so should be doable for a slug mould. That would let people pick the diameter they want. if doable I'd say 0.678", 0.681" and 0.685" should suit most people and it may get more in the group buy. I'd rather go big then size down to suit wad fit than have small and patch up. But then I can make my own sizer.

if it is one size I am good with 0.681". What msm has shown is good for me so even if there are no options I am in for 2 cavity mould. If it isn't a Mihec Cramer mould I may reconsider. I do like that design though! I want it!

Longbow

Banned

Actually reports from AZ Brian

"I shot this out of a Remington 1100 smooth bore.
    All loads seemed to shoot equally as well as far as accuracy goes. I was able to put 3 rounds touching each other at 25 yards for each of the loads."

And Turbo attest to the usefulness of the ACE slug in a smooth bore

"Accuracy at 25-50 yards out of the smooth bore guns was about the same as other full bore hollow base slugs I have custom molds for and shoot out of them regularly. Basically pushing a bigger heavier slug with a bigger wider flatter nose with no noticeable reduction in accuracy = now I've got even better angry bear medicine in my arsenal.

I did get some noticeable reduction in accuracy compared to what some of my other full bore slugs are capable of when firing the solids out of my rifled barrel gun at 100-200 yards range. That big wide flat nose seems to start having some bucking issues further out compared to comparable slugs I have in my arsenal with more wedge shaped TC noses."

I only used the Turbo HB Plug with Blue Dot in both rifled and smooth barrels
    I did try 21 grains of Unique
    It works real good out to 50 yards for me
    Do not shoot them a lot.

Mr ACE/338RemUltraMag had a couple few extra molds that I picked up before he went kaput. I think I have around 4 of them. If I run across them I will send you a PM.
    Last edited by jmort; 08-09-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast