Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buckbuster 12 gauge slug

Boolit Grand Master

Bluejay when you say "I’m going to ask him to go final on the design. Short nose." is that the shorter fatter nose shown in the sketch rather than the original Buckbuster nose? I like the original Buckbuster nose.

I haven't seen others posting for different nose either. Personally I think too large a meplat is... well, overkill and detrimental to flight. The Buckbuster is a proven design as msm pointed out in the beginning. I'll go with the majority if they want the short fat nose but I'd prefer the original profile.

Longbow

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Bluejay when you say "I’m going to ask him to go final on the design. Short nose." is that the shorter fatter nose shown in the sketch rather than the original Buckbuster nose? I like the original Buckbuster nose.

I haven't seen others posting for different nose either. Personally I think too large a meplat is... well, overkill and detrimental to flight. The Buckbuster is a proven design as msm pointed out in the beginning. I'll go with the majority if they want the short fat nose but I'd prefer the original profile.

Longbow
    I thought I was keeping count properly on the votes. But I am a borderline moderate...
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

I agree with Longbow. I prefer the original mould drawing. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I already have 3 full bore diameter shotgun slug molds, plus a full bore diameter round ball, so I have no interest in another as I said. I am only interested in the buckbuster copy, with a .080" base wall plug.

That said, I am kind of intrigued by the tumble lube grooves. Personally I would make the full bore slug bigger, .733". Even with powder coat, this would be ok. Make the lube grooves deeper, so that it can swage down to fit the barrel, including some chokes.

All my slug moulds but the Noe Lyman 525 clone are full bore slugs. This is why I am interested in the mould pictured in the OP, I could use another in the wad sabot style slug. I'm not against the full bore design if others want it. It also looks to be a good idea. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with msm... the original design wad slug with the exception of slightly more taper on pins. That's 3 of us! Speak up everyone... what do you want?

If the full bore version goes I may get that too but wad slug for sure, smooth or tumble lube, I don't care unless tumble lube grooves are going to add $$$ then I can do without them.

Did we get a count of who wants full bore? is that a go?

Boolit Grand Master

Clarification, I do not want tumble lube grooves on the buckbuster slug, only smooth sided.

It is a cool idea on the full bore slug though.

Banned

The new design is better
    I vote for the new design

Boolit Master

I am with Msm and Longbow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

I have no problem with the turbo pins even if they are included so everyone has to pay for them. I just want the original Buckbuster profile and 0.080" skirt pins hopefully along with 0.100" skirt pins or spare 0.080" pins I can turn.

I'm not thrilled with the short fat nose though. Maybe not a deal breaker if the original style pins are available too but the short fat nose is not my first choice.

Let's see what everyone else wants.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy

Buckbuster design for me.

Boolit Bub
    I prefer the Buckbuster design and a thick rim as I plan on using this in 3 1/2 inch.
    I am very interested in a full bore version.

I'm A Honcho!
    The vote is being monitored. Lets get a little more input and I think the Live group buy will magically appear.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Very interesting! Has anyone identified the "target" pressure column wads that fit the design in post #1? I spent a bit of time working on a design with NOE, but we dropped it. We took an appropriate step to ensure there was a list of what wad cup would work, which is tougher than you think. We went as far as sectioning the cups to determine the taper; it was brutal. There is a lot of variation in the products. We both would do the measuring of wads from the same lots and come up with something different. Both of us threw in the towel.

I would be interested in the full bore design. Does anyone have a link? I would need an aluminum mold; my hands cannot handle the weight of a casting session like they once did.
    Michael

Boolit Master

I will go with what ever the consensus is, you guys know more about slugs than me.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

The variation in petal thickness and taper is an issue for sure. Greg Sappington (AKA 12bore) who used to post here some was trying to get set up to cast commercially using wad slugs for rifled guns. These were solid slugs with HP but no HB. I made a couple of moulds (my simple push out moulds) for his prototypes. In the end he came to the conclusion that trap wads are not made precisely enough to provide the accuracy he was looking for. Now having said that I think he was looking for tighter groups than typically accepted hunting level accuracy and at long range. I likely would have found his group size acceptable.

Greg gave up and went the custom sabot route.

Not trying to convince people that a wad slug can't be made to shoot acceptably well and I am sure many have gotten good accuracy with Lee and Lyman sabot slugs by finding the right wad/load combination.

A lot depends on the gun and of course load and components used. There are lots of variables in shotgun slug reloading.

All that aside, wad slugs are easy to load and I am sure if a guy tinkers enough he'll find a decent load. I am still in for the original Buckbuster design wad slug with 0.80" skirt pins and hopefully 0.100" skirt pins available.

I believe I still have a couple of old articles on the original Buckbuster slugs and recall what msm remembers about them. I never shot any though so second hand knowledge on my part.

If the full bore version runs at the same time I will have to make a decision. Part of that will depend on what "full bore" diameter is. Fit is king and I think a "full bore" slug should be over bore/groove diameter by a few thou so squeezes to fit. With any HB design like the Buckbuster with HB pin extending past the bore riding section I have to think they'll squeeze to fit quite easily.

Anyway, I digress a bit.

I am still in for original Buckbuster design in wad slug and/or full bore... possibly both.

Longbow

I prefer the original Buckbuster design in an aluminum mould. Gp

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    Very interesting! Has anyone identified the "target" pressure column wads that fit the design in post #1? I spent a bit of time working on a design with NOE, but we dropped it. We took an appropriate step to ensure there was a list of what wad cup would work, which is tougher than you think. We went as far as sectioning the cups to determine the taper; it was brutal. There is a lot of variation in the products. We both would do the measuring of wads from the same lots and come up with something different. Both of us threw in the towel.

I would be interested in the full bore design. Does anyone have a link? I would need an aluminum mold; my hands cannot handle the weight of a casting session like they once did.
    The fill bore as depicted is as perfect as we are going to get
    The reason I proposed a. 678" size for the wad/sabot version was that has been proven to be the best compromise. The Lee slugs are .680" I believe, and slightly too large to be universal. No one has a clue about the vest usiversal size. AJ would be the best opinion in this regard. I will PM him. It is all a compromise. 45.2.1 has done us all a big favor by stepping in and improving the design. Hope the dithering is a benefit to the final versions. As stated, I will take two of each of the 45.2.1 designs. He gets what pins would be needed, shape-wise and otherwise.

Boolit Buddy
    Guys I am interested as I said before, but with my limited slug experience I will have to say that right now I was looking for the buckbuster copy in double cavity aluminum mold. Still wondering what the possible cost would be without extra pins, as I am not a machinist either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The Lee slugs are .680" I believe, and slightly too large to be universal.
    I have the Lee drawings, the design is .681".
    Michael

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast