RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing for 45ACP

Banned

Sizing for 45ACP

What is the proper size for a 45ACP with PC bullets, .452 or .453, using WW lead?

Boolit Master

Slug your barrel/s, proper size will be .001" to .002" above that for WW alloy, up to +.003" for softer alloy.

Boolit Master
    Historically, .452 has been the default diameter. As much as I fret over rifle bullet sizing diameters, I just go straight to .452" for 1911 Colts and it has worked splendidly in every one I ever owned, and I never ever use/used alloys harder than COWW's.

I can't speak to barrel dimensions/bullet requirements for non-Colt pretenders, haha!

Boolit Grand Master

I used .452 sizing with excellent accuracy on all my 45 ACP cast bullets with mixed cases for years in many different commercial and milsurp 45 ACP handguns (and a few sub guns) until I got a pistol with a "Match" chamber. Because the chamber specs are minimum it will not chamber perhaps 2 + round per 10 unless the bullets are sized .451 or I run the loaded ammo through a Lee FCD. A .452 sized bullet plus the case wall thickness is just to much.

The nominal bullet diameter for the 45 ACP bullet is .451. If you have a standard chamber I suggest .452 sizing unless you make a chamber cast and know the dimensions of the chamber and throat. You can go larger sometimes but do not want the bullet diameter larger than the throat entrance from the chamber into the leade. If the bullet is larger alloy can be scraped off the bullet and stay in the front of the chamber which can then result in chambering problems (failure to go into battery).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I size all my .45 ACP boolits to .453. They feed in all of my 1911 pistols, my XDM, and all of my shooting buddies .45 ACP pistols.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

.452 here as well. 50/50 Pb/ww. H&G 68 clone. 4.0 gr Be. No problems in any of my 1911's. Reliable & accurate.

I size to .452. It works in 4 different brands of 45acp for me. Great accuracy and no leading.
    If I size to .453 they will not chamber in my Range Officer 1911 or my Sig 1911.

For 30 years and several hundred thousand rounds, I sized all my bullets in a Lyman .452 die. Then one day I measured my sized bullets and they were .453. Yes, another bum Lyman die. I purchased a true .452 but didn't notice any difference on the targets or in function. None-the-less, my soul rests easier when I know the bullets are actually .452.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I size all my .45 ACP boolits to .453. They feed in all of my 1911 pistols, my XDM, and all of my shooting buddies .45 ACP pistols.
    I do the same, 0.453 for me. It works nicely in my 3 pistols. If I do size them 0.452 they still work fine with minimal leading, but when I start to chrono, the big difference is in the SD of the strings. The 0.453 sized ammo have very low SD's, in the 3-6 range, whilst with the 0.452 boolits it increases to 12-18 range.
    No big deal, but just good to know that when I am using 0.453 boolits they will be very accurate out of the barrel.

Banned
    Depending on the alloy and spring back mine can vary from 452-453. As long as it chambers I shoot it. I doubt there will be any accuracy difference between .452 and .453.

Boolit Buddy
    .452. Accurized 1911 with standard chamber, H&G 68, 4.3 Bullseye, headspace on the bullet. Totally reliable feeding and accuracy good enough for 290+ NMC 25 & 50yds. In other words, my limit.

Banned
    Bottom line my thinking... if it leads its too small. If it fits, feeds, and doesn't lead use it and don't worry if its .452 or .453

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Slug your barrel/s, proper size will be .001" to .002" above that for WW alloy, up to +.003" for softer alloy.
    To me this is the best answer to the sizing question.

Boolit Grand Master

Fortunately my 3, 45 ACP barrels all run .451" I size my cast to a hair over .452" (a bit under .0005"?). Works for all my cast bullets; RN, RNFP and SWC, 10-14 BHN...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have like a dozen 45acp, not going to slug & load for all of them, so I size all my cast to 0.452". Over 40y of shooting, so far so good.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I see no good purpose in sluging and measuring a 1911 barrel. If it is anywhere near spec, it will shoot .452 bullets without a hitch.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    What is the proper size for a 45ACP with PC bullets, .452 or .453, using WW lead?
    .452 works for all the 1911's and 1917 revolvers I have ever owned but a brand new Taurus 455 revolver , 45 acp , 5 shot with a 2" ported barrel insisted the boolits be sized .451 . When the boolits are sized .452 they will not full seat in the chambers , they stop with about 1/4" of case sticking out . Sized .451 and they slide right in . The revolver has minimum chambers and throats and is the most accurate 45 acp I've ever owned . That has included a Colt Commander , Gold Cup , Star PS 45 acp , 1917 S&W war surplus and AMT Hardballer .

The tight chambers , throat and bore seem to all be sized just right for accurate shooting...the one ragged hole groups at 20 yards just amaze me . This is one little Taurus that shoots !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The Star stays set up with a 452 die that measures 452 after sizing for the 1911s. I tried 453 and my 1911 is ok with them, my sons doesn't like them so we just size everything to 452.

I have been sizing my boolits for a Star PD at .452 with an old Lyman 45. They shoot fine, but sometimes I have trouble with sized boolits not staying put in the case. Some are tight, while others can be pushed deeper with finger pressure. Even a taper crimp doesn't work to keep them in place. It appears from informal observation that this happens more often with RP cases. It could also be that my boolits are variable in size as cast. Anyone else have a situation like this?

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I see no good purpose in sluging and measuring a 1911 barrel. If it is anywhere near spec, it will shoot .452 bullets without a hitch.
    Bullet shape might have a little to do with it, depending on your throat. I've become a fan of bullet designs on which the ogive starts decreasing in diameter right at the case mouth, so there's no WC shoulder sticking forward of the brass. In that scenario, the drops-at-.453" tumble luber I'm currently settled on gives no issues. If I'm going to shoot a design I have to size, it get's the .452" treatment.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast