Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Cell phone advice plz.

Boolit Master

Cell phone advice plz.

I have a need for a cell phone which will be in a car and only used if there is an emergency. Is there a service that is reliable and cheap charging little monthly or even better charging as used? Any advice as to phone selection (only need voice and maybe text capability) and service selection is most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Moderator Emeritus

I am a fan of TracFone. They still offer flip phones, my Mom uses one. They have prepay plans that can be as cheap as $20 for two months.

I don't use my smart phone (iPhone) very much, but when I do, I am very happy with the service, TracFone has real good coverage in my area. Which leads me to suggesting the following...
    I would strongly suggest you ask around to people in your neighborhood, to make sure TracFone has good service, that will become important once you decide to use it for more than emergencies only. There is nothing more frustrating then making a call from home or near your home and not having a good signal.
    That's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Thank you JonB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I also use Tracfone. It's around $110 per year for 1000 minutes. Like you, I only use it for emergencies, so have close to 4000 minutes piled up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I also recommend TracFone. They are cheap for the flip phone and the 90 day card with 60 minutes on it is about $21 and you can find codes on the computer to get free minutes added. The one I got automatically triples the amount of minutes when you activate it. Not sure if they still offer that. I have never run out of minutes but have run out of days If I don't watch it. I think you can still get a non flip phone for about $10 that will double your minutes. Wal-Mart has a competitor to TracFone also, Might be worth looking at. The TracFone has small buttons and about half the time when someone calls I manage to hit reject rather than accept, But then I just call them back if I recognize the number or if a name pops up on the missed calls. Mostly incoming calls are scam robo calls anyway. It is effective to call out with though. You have to keep it charged, If it is on it is using power and will go dead in a week or so. We refer to it as our Stupid phone.

It was a disappointment when I checked on the one they were pushing in the AARP Magazine. They were very much more expensive than TracFone and there is the high pressure sales pitch to upgrade this and that that " you can't do without", But it did have big buttons and it was simple.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 08-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

The above comments are your best bet. You will be paying for a service you rarely use, think of it as insurance. Is this for you or someone else?

Boolit Master
    It is for me to be placed where I need a phone in the event of an emergency, but otherwise have zero use for it. If I am lucky it will never be used. It is insurance.

Gotcha. The only thing I can add would be to look out for deals around Black Friday. Sometimes you can get a whole year for the price of a few months. Seems like expiration date is more important than number of minutes for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Tracfone. Get 365 day plan that rolls over unused minutes. $100 per year for 1200 min +texts. Can often get plan with free phone for same price through EBay.
    Had my phone for 6 years. No problems.

Boolit Buddy
    We have the Tracfone from Walmart but are considering something else. Anyone have any experience with "Straight Talk" systems? Sorry I did not mean to hijack this thread!

ADMIN

Tello - its a sprint based service.
    You can get a $5 a month plan that is 100 mins per month and no data.
    I would get the cool snap phone for $50 and I would get the 500 mb 100 min plan for $6
    This will get you on LTE and that has coverage pretty much everywhere
    Your talking about just a glovebox emergency phone correct?

btw the 500mb is LTE speed. after it is gone then it slows to turtle 2g speed.

Straight talk - There is 2 or 3 different setups for straight talk. Verizon based, Att based and T-mobile based.
    We had straight talk for my son for a little while. Was verizon based. It was ok. Had about the same coverage give or take as my paid verizon.
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-07-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got a prepaid from usmobil they use verizon and other providers, I got unlimited talk and text for $10 plus tax and fee $4.48 for a total of $14.48 for 30 days. They have lower options for less minutes and less text. Data really adds money.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been looking for the samething.
    I have tmobile.
    Had it for years.
    With all the taxes and fees, I pay $26 a month.
    Most months I don't use it at all.
    Looking for something cheaper.
    I want to keep my number.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I believe that any working phone, even with no minutes, can call 911, if that is all you need then a very cheap used phone may do you, if you want non 911 calls you will need a package. There are near free plans out there, just be sure you can get signal where you'll need it!

Boolit Master

I've had Trafone for over 10 years as does my wife. They are only used for occasional calls and basically an emergency backup. Both are cheap flip phones which work just fine and we do the annual plan on both phones for 800 minutes/365 days@ $100($8.50/per mo per phone). Both phones currently have over 4000 minutes available. Least expensive way to own a limited use phone IMO.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    thanks