MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leverguns and Vernier sights. Any Experiences?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For target shooting I love them. For hunting not so much.
    Same here - the best for target shooting - but messes up the grip (thumb over tang) for hunting or any quick shooting.

Williams (or similar) reciever sight good for quick stuff - take the disc out or drill it out bigger - so long as the aperture is close enough that you look through it and dont focus on it.

Have never tried an aperture style sight mounted forward of the action - dont think my eyes would work that way .

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I tried... But i see all crooked, how do you so it...
    I guess I don’t really know, I just tried it one time and it worked for me. Both eyes open look through and ignore the aperture and put front sight on the target , Lots of practice. I shoot revolvers the same way both eyes open. Weird?
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by frogleg View Post
    I guess I don’t really know, I just tried it one time and it worked for me. Both eyes open look through and ignore the aperture and put front sight on the target , Lots of practice. I shoot revolvers the same way both eyes open. Weird?
    Alittle weird

I have tang sights on several of my single-shot offhand target rifles. Can't feature having one on a lever gun, though. Ghost ring receiver sights work best for me in my 99s, scopes on my 336s. I even drilled out the rear peep on a Mini-14 that I once had, otherwise target acquisition was much, much too slow. Only instance I can think of where a tang sight would work for hunting would be on one of the big-cartridge black-powder Winchesters used out west where 200+ yard shots on stationary large game were the norm.
    Cognitive Dissident

I would urge you to perform the test...……….. it'll only take a few seconds to find out - and your issue could well be something else.

At first, my son also found shooting from a different shoulder difficult, but with some practice, came to operate his firearms as easily as before.

BTW, he's currently doing the same thing, over 45 years after we went through the change - and, now, he regularly takes much more game than me (on the order of 5X more).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    When I put the tang sight on my Rossi I replaced the rear sight with a folding leaf . The rear sight it is adjusted for 158 357s and the tang sight for 130 rnfp 38s.

I wanted one for my Marlin 1889 chambered for the 44-40 cartridge but I just could.t justify the cost or trying to shoot anything over 200 yards. I just can't see that good any more. I did get the Lyman tang sight and use it out to 100 yards.

Attachment 246536

But for anything I really need to hit, I used my Winchester 73' with the Malcolm scope
    Attachment 246537

And for those 265 yard shots, I just gotta go with the bigger scope with the 1894CB....I am blind as a bat!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Anyone own a lever gun with a vernier style sight on it? I have one coming in the mail and was wondering if anyone has tips and tricks or just a story to tell?
    The only reason I have used them on a lever rifle, and to be clear, using the vernier type rear sight as was asked in the first post, is to have 1/2 MOA repeatable adjustments for silhouette target matches. Often their size and overall shape do not allow the action to cycle with out folding the staff back by hand first. In other words, as in each round fired you have to fold the sight back and then open the action to unload and reload. Or else the action hits the sight staff. They are not very handy having one on a lever rifle for any other reason other than for very accurate adjustments in a match or load development.

The ugly receiver sight with its course adjustment (compared to the vernier) is a much better all round lever sight. The Marbles and the Lyman tang sights look cooler than the receiver sight for sure, but the hard to see hash marks on the small round staff are lacking for fine work.
    Chill Wills

I am right handed and right eye dominant. Due to severe shoulder problems I had to teach myself to shoot lefty or give up shooting. Rifle with scope was pretty easy, irons a little more difficult. Shotgun the hardest of all as I had to close my right eye to keep it from interfering. Too many people think they must look at the rear sight at the same time as the front. The secret to hitting with irons is - front sight , front sight, and front sight. Just look thru the peep, focus on the front sight and forget about the rear sight. Even the target can be a little blurry as long as the front sight is in focus. Works for me anyway, I hope my explanation makes sense. Thankfully, I got my shoulder overhauled and life is good. I’m not plinking with .460 Wby good, but good.

I have Lyman 66s on several levers from 22 to 45/70. I wouldnt call them crude. I have other Lymans on BAs, Rem 141 & 81. I deer hunt with no aperature and all my front sights are Patridge blades. The rifles these sights are on are factory D&Ted. I won't drill a original old gun. I'm thinking seriously about having a Ruger #3 D&Ted for a reciever sight. I have a 1895 Marlin & 1894 in 44mg with Lyman 66 sights and they are legal Ohio deer guns. I would like to use the 375W with a reciever sight for deer. As far as ugly, some are. I have one 99Savage and trying to find a good reciever sight that doesn't look like a erector set is tough. I have trouble seeing the back sight on some of my rifles. The reciever sight cures that for me and I would say is faster to get on moving targets. I hunted Ohio with slugs since a kid and have a Brn A5 with a Redding reciever sight that I used to bag a lot of deer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    The only reason I have used them on a lever rifle, and to be clear, using the vernier type rear sight as was asked in the first post, is to have 1/2 MOA repeatable adjustments for silhouette target matches. Often their size and overall shape do not allow the action to cycle with out folding the staff back by hand first. In other words, as in each round fired you have to fold the sight back and then open the action to unload and reload. Or else the action hits the sight staff. They are not very handy having one on a lever rifle for any other reason other than for very accurate adjustments in a match or load development.

The ugly receiver sight with its course adjustment (compared to the vernier) is a much better all round lever sight. The Marbles and the Lyman tang sights look cooler than the receiver sight for sure, but the hard to see hash marks on the small round staff are lacking for fine work.
    I have (and have had) vernier tang sights on several lever rifles - never encountered your problem of the bolt hitting the sight staff - I would suggest someone sold you the wrong sight base for the rifle(s) in question.
    Agree with your opine on reciever sight for levers - except that I have a 76 and an 86 that I do not want to drill holes in and do want to try them out for accurate shooting.

Im still waiting for mine... I cant wait.

Boolit Buddy
    Used the Lyman Tang Sights years ago. But after buying a Soule Sight for my Ballard in 40-65 WCF it would be hard to settle for anything less. Have a handful of MVA bases and a Schutzen and Mid Range Soule Sights, that I rotate around on some of my Leverguns. Both have the small Hadley Eyecup and are used to shoot NRA Levergun Silhouette Matches. Sight adjustments are very repeatable.
    Rick

I dont even shoot matches or anything. Just wanted one forever...

I finally got it today!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    I wanted one for my Marlin 1889 chambered for the 44-40 cartridge but I just could.t justify the cost or trying to shoot anything over 200 yards. I just can't see that good any more. I did get the Lyman tang sight and use it out to 100 yards.

Attachment 246536

But for anything I really need to hit, I used my Winchester 73' with the Malcolm scope
    Attachment 246537

And for those 265 yard shots, I just gotta go with the bigger scope with the 1894CB....I am blind as a bat!!!

Yeah you obviously can't handle that 1889 with your poor eyesight. Send it to me and I'll make sure it gets treated properly.

I was messing with one my buddy owns a couple nights ago. A nice clean 38/40 that someone chopped the mag tube down to hand guard length. He's going to remedy that this week and mount a full tube back onto it.
    SWEET little rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Yeah you obviously can't handle that 1889 with your poor eyesight. Send it to me and I'll make sure it gets treated properly.

I was messing with one my buddy owns a couple nights ago. A nice clean 38/40 that someone chopped the mag tube down to hand guard length. He's going to remedy that this week and mount a full tube back onto it.
    SWEET little rifle.
    LOL, so true so true!!!

Did you notice the mag tube on the 89 in the photo? No mention of it being a button mag from the factory but it has been that way for 1,000 years!!!

Do people make dovetail blanks when they cut the tubes? Usually theres a mag tube band at the end of the barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    LOL, so true so true!!!

Did you notice the mag tube on the 89 in the photo? No mention of it being a button mag from the factory but it has been that way for 1,000 years!!!

I didn’t notice that actually his is exactly like that. With the mag tube stud ground to a radius and left in the end of the barrel as a dovetail blank.
    Does your have a filler in the barrel dovetail?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12