MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 32 H&R favorite powder

Boolit Buddy

32 H&R favorite powder

Any favorite powder-s for the 32 H&R with a 95 gr cast? would like to find something accurate and mid velocity maybe 900fps.
    BD

Boolit Grand Master

Bullseye
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Bullseye
    Same here!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Another vote for Bullseye. 3 grains with Saeco #325 in Starline H&R Mag brass will do just what you want.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    bigdog54,

If Bullseye does not do what you want, I would try Winchester 231/HP38. It works well for me in both .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum with several bullet weights. Both cartridges have yielded 25 yard machine rest groups that average less than 1.5 inches for five, five shot groups using WW231/HP38. Admittedly, not all loads will do that, but enough that I feel confident recommending it.

Gus Youmans

Banned
    It was many years ago but 231 was my go-to powder the 32 H&R magnum unless I was seeking the upper magnum levels of performance.

When loading 32 H&R magnum, 357 magnum and 44 Magnum rounds for maximum effect there's only ONE powder you need - H110 [ww296]

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to ty the 231 first, since I have a lot left from a *lb'r, I also have more then a 1/2 8lb'r of Herco. has anybody had any experience with Herco in revolvers?
    BD

Around 4 gr of Herco would be a fun load.

Boolit Master

Bullseye/Unique
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

4.0 of Unique under 105 rnfp. Consistently accurate in multiple. 32 mags. Tried other powders keep coming back to Unique. Don't use much Unique elsewhere mostly. 32 mag.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    Any favorite powder-s for the 32 H&R with a 95 gr cast? would like to find something accurate and mid velocity maybe 900fps.
    BD
    Just a reminder what the question was..........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Red dot and BE-86

Boolit Buddy
    Bullseye and TiteGroup.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master

I like Universal. Very accurate and not quite such tiny charges.

Boolit Grand Master

Oops...I put this post on the wrong thread. I will leave it here anyway......my bad.

I don't load a lot of 32 S&W because I don't have a revolver specific to that cartridge. Besides the Contender 32 H&R test barrel I have a M30 S&W chambered in 32S&WL and a Ruger SS (original run) in 32 H&R. Thus my interest in loading the diminutive 32 S&W is for pressure/velocity testing only.

I have Hornady loading dies marked 32S&W/H&R. They load the 32 S&WL and 32 HR cartridges very nicely. As to the shorter 32 S&W cartridges the sizer sizes and deprimes w/o problem.

The expander stem is not adjustable within the die body so adjustment is done moving the die in or out in the press. All the way down it just expands the inside of the sized case just right for a .314 bullet. However, it does not flare the case mouth so I use a Lee expander die to do that.

The Hornady seating die has a sliding collar which has the crimping part in it. The seating stem slides in the collar and is separate from the adjustment stem. I remove the adjustment stem and drop a 45 ACP FMJRN bullet into the seater die on top of the seating stem. That way it can be adjusted to seat the bullets to the crimp groove in the bullet. After all the bullets have been seated I remover the seating sem and with the 45 ACP bullet back in the seater die I can then adjust the collar to put the desired crimp on the cartridge.

Kind of a PITA but once I figured it out it's not really that bad. Get's the job done for me with what dies I have.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-10-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not so talented Larry, I just use lee dies and adjust to the cartridge length ("kiss").
    As for Unique, I like that powder but; it seems so dirty. Of course my keg is old.
    BD