WidenersADvertise hereRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading

Thread: Lube Stick Base - For Making Your Own Lube Sticks

Mobile, Alabama, formally from Arizona Territory.

Lube Stick Base - For Making Your Own Lube Sticks

Here is the base for holding your PVC tubing and your center pin. We've taken all the hassle out of this chore. All you need to do it get your schedule 40 PVC tubing and some 3/8" wood dowels. We got all our stuff from Home Depot. They sell the schedule 40 in pre-cut lengths of 24 inches so you don't have to buy a 10 foot piece, and they sell the dowels for a buck something, EASY PEAZY. The pvc and center pins in the images are not included in the sale price, they are just there to show how we set up our lube stick block.

HOLE DIAMETERS ARE SET FOR USE OF SCHEDULE 40 PVC ONLY

Material is 1-1/8 inch MDF CNC milled.

THE TOP SURFACE OF OUR LUBE BLOCKS HAVE BEEN SEALED TO PREVENT LUBES AND WAXES FROM ABSORPTION.

SINGLE BLOCK SHIPPING IN A PADDED USPS FLAT RATE PRIORITY ENVELOPE. $8.00

MULTI-BLOCK SHIPPING IS IN A MEDIUM USPS PRIORITY FLAT RATE BOX. BOX WILL HOLD UP TO SEVEN BLOCKS. $14.35

MIX AND MATCH ANY 7 BLOCKS TO MAXIMIZE YOU SHIPPING COSTS IF YOU WANT TO GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR SHIPPING EXPENSE.

Lube block #LB-1 Cost... $12.99 ea.

Last edited by MOA; 08-16-2019 at 04:35 PM.

I'm A Honcho!

Looks like you place some sort of metal "washer" over the dowels, which end up at the bottom/top of lube sticks.

Reason? And, where can I get those if they help?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    Looks like you place some sort of metal "washer" over the dowels, which end up at the bottom/top of lube sticks.

Reason? And, where can I get those if they help?
    Duke,

The reason for the washer is to keep the hot liquid lube from getting into the lube block, (block is sealed but I like to keep as much lube out of the block as possible) and giving the pvc tube a nice flat surface to sit on. I have found it much easier to remove entire tube including the center pin from the block as a unit and place in the freezer for 10 minutes, then just push the lube out using my finger and a smaller washer that will fit the inside diameter of the tube. I have been thinking of using two washers on the botton a large one and a smaller one then setting the pvc tube on top.

You can get the washers at home depot. You might take the block and a dowel to the store to get the right size. A size to fit just inside the pvc will allow you to cool them in the freezer and then push them out with the washer.

I'm A Honcho!

Thanks for the follow up. Makes sense. One of my shooting buddies, Gunarea (his forum name here), who's real name is Roy Kramer is the inventor of the Lawn Steel shooting game, the highlight of my week. Roy had made a very primitive, and not easy to use set of blocks and tubes with dowels that are not as well designed as yours. We set up to make a double batch (about 60 sticks) of our "Best Lube" which was commercially made by one of Roy's employers (when he was in his teens, he's an old guy now). It works really slick on the Lawn Steel cartridges that we cast and size/lube. Roy's set is difficult to use, and I'm hoping to surprise the guys with a set of your fine blocks for our next session. Let me know if you would like a copy of our Best Lube recipe. Would be happy to send along a PDF file version.

When my next Soc Sec check comes in, I will order SEVEN (the most that will fit into the flat rate box) of your 8 cavity blocks. If you don't already have them available, get them ready.

We run the lube sticks in both Lyman 4500/450 Lubricizers, and also Star Lubricizers. The Lyman sticks are made with the dowels in place, and the Star without. Wish there was some kind of solid flat washer type thing with no hole in the middle to facilitate removing those Star sticks.

In the mean time, I will get some Schedule 40 PVC. I tried reading the sides of the PVC in your image, and it clearly says Schedule 40, but you don't specify the diameter pipe we get/use. Could you give me the specific PVC pipe size that I need? What length should I cut those to? ( a function of Lyman stick length relative to the depth of your machined holes in the MDF.

The 3/8" wood dowels I understand, so I will get a set of those, and cut to length. I know they need to be longer than the PCV pipe. What length do you cut yours to? And, in use, do the dowels go all the way through the blocks? Or, are they closed bottoms? (which might need a drill bit from time to time to clean out wax)

We have a "pusher" which is a wooden circle on the end of a dowel to push the sticks out of the PVC. You might think about offering one of those as part of your product. Everyone is gonna need such a tool to use the blocks.

The washers.... are they called "fender washers"? Might help in finding them whenj (I get to the store. Thanks for the info, will be placing my order soon.

Oh, payment methods? Do you accept PayPal if I do Friends and Family (no fees on either end). That's an extremely easy way for me to pay for things.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 12-10-2019 at 12:41 PM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Duke, thanks for letting me know you are interested in the lube block.
    1. PVC is the 1" size. It's the only size that will fit the block correctly.
    2. Dowel hole does not go through the block. Have not needed to clean them yet.
    3. If you place a plastic flat disc on the bottom of the recess, or a flat round metal disc and then put the pvc in on top of the disc, the pvc will hold tight in the block, this will allow you to pour solid lube sticks for the star lubisizer. The pvc schedule 40 one inch is a snug fit.
    4. As far as cut length, that's up to you and your needs. I cut mine short...4". Whatever length of lube stick you want you cut your pvc to that length.
    5. The washers I used was fitted by taking a block and dowel to home depot to get one that fit in the recess and was able to fit close around the dowel at the same time. I always put my sticks in the freezer for ten minutes with the dowel still in place....pvc and all. Lube cools and shrinks and slides right out...easy pezzy.

We only take Usps money orders. I'll send you the total for the seven and freight tomorrow. Early in the morning. I've already boxed you order up.
    Thx
    Barry

I'm A Honcho!

The only concern I have for the dowel holes is when we pour, without the dowels, for the Star. The dowel holes would also obviously fill in with lube. I guess we can unplug those holes with a drill bit when needed.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Duke, let me see what I can think up that will allow you to pour for the star without worrying about plugging up the dowel recess. I'll get back with you on this asap