Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some ideas on how I can protect my wife.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to improve your safety you need to start with a healthy dose of perspective, or else you risk wasting all your time, money, and emotional energy in what amounts to a comfort blanket.

Take for instance Mass shootings. Horrific, they have killed what; 273 people this year? If that's what makes you afraid you really don't want to look at the death tool of the common flu estimated to have killed upwards of 50,000 Americans this past season. You and your husband are allowing your brains to blow one miniscule risk out of proportion which, if you are not careful, will take resources from more important risks.

Please realize that you two are brewing a storm out of a teacup but even then, a whole lot of good can come from this: take a sensible look at what you can do better. Low hanging fruit; do you have fire extinguishers on the house and cars? You would be amazed how many homes would have been saved if somebody spent $50 bucks on one. Only 10% of burglaries are planned, most are smash and grabs. You'll be amazed at how effective a light with a motion sensor is, then security cameras, then home alarms. Are you covered there? Are you practicing enough with the guns that are in the house?

If you go out of your house with situational awareness and common sense you would be armed better than most of the population, including those with CCW. This is a skill that you nurture over the years and can learn and practice while spending money on real solutions to more pressing threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Quigley284 View Post
    This is Quigley's wife. I sincerely cannot believe the thoughtfulness of all of the responses that we read, and thank each and every one of you for sharing ideas and your concerns. We live in a relatively safe neighborhood, but I travel for work into large cities with soft targets that have "crowding" situations like the Garlic Festival where a recent mass shooting occurred. Our increased sense of urgency about self-defense strategies has mostly been inflamed by the seemingly random events, especially the El Paso Walmart shooting. However, my husband has always instilled a sense of awareness and caution in me bout my surroundings and we have had conversations in the past about CCW and training for me. His disability is progressing and we know that he is less able to be part of our defense strategies should anything happen in our home. We are going to consider everything suggested. Our Labrador Retriever is over 12 years old, and has a hard time waking up from his many naps. Our next dog will be chosen based on your comments. (I particularly like the idea of a small yapping dog and a big Mastiff!) This Forum clearly has a lot of good people with generous hearts! Thank you, again.

Boolit Man
    Thanks again for helping an old man to not feel quite so useless. Best forum in the land.

Banned

Quigley, first of all I am truly sorry you have to deal with Huntington's Corea. My grandpa and two uncles were afflicted with it, and I know what you're going through. I lift you and your family up in prayer tonight. Second, IMHO it all depends on what Mrs. Quigley is comfortable with. But I too would suggest what has been said above up to the point of her comfort level. As often as I think of this thread I will lift you up in prayer. May God greatly bless you and your family.

Boolit Master

My wife has a 2 shot derringer made by Kimberly that shoots pepper spray. She carries it in her pocketbook everywhere we go. There is also one in the dash of the car right in front of her. Very small little pistols, about $32.00+ each. Midway did have them. James

Boolit Grand Master

The other posters have pretty well covered things. My opinion, start training yourself to notice things. I call it "situational awareness". You don't have to be afraid, but be aware. You are venerable when you are entering or exiting your home or auto. Harden up your home with a dog, monitored alarm system, dead bolt locks, longer screws in your door hinges, ect. Maybe a peep hole in any solid doors or one of those doorbell cameras. Eliminate any possible hiding places around your home, if possible. If you decide to go the concealed carry route shop carefully for your pistol. Handle or shoot as many as possible. Many indoor ranges have pistols for rent and many offer training. As a part of your situational awareness, try to notice any possible safe places that you may visit with the thought of taking cover in the event of a mass shooting. Also observe any dangerous places around where you shop or visit. Places like dark areas of the parking lot, dark areas on the sidewalks, dark doorways, ect. If possible, plan your shopping for day light hours. Look around and think of things in your home that would make a possible improvised weapon. Sharp kitchen tools, spray cans, heavy decor items, ect. A face full of something like Pam might delay an intruder long enough for you to reach a better weapon!

As a pro carry law enforcement officer, I really appreciate the common sense oriented approach of dogs, lights, camera's, and only carrying if your willing to practice enough to know your capabilities / weapons capabilities.

Guns are a good tool, but they are only as capable as the tool carrying it. So while I encourage responsible people to carry, I also encourage just about every other suggestion you guys have mentioned.

Other than the crows, still not sure about that one....

Quote Originally Posted by TMenezes View Post
    As a pro carry law enforcement officer, I really appreciate the common sense oriented approach of dogs, lights, camera's, and only carrying if your willing to practice enough to know your capabilities / weapons capabilities.

Guns are a good tool, but they are only as capable as the tool carrying it. So while I encourage responsible people to carry, I also encourage just about every other suggestion you guys have mentioned.

Other than the crows, still not sure about that one....
    Give it some thought, it’s growing on me! Imagine 2 or even 4 crows attacking you, you’re not doing anything but getting away from them! And they work for peanuts!

Boolit Buddy

Very glad to see both you and your wife thinking proactively on this and both of you participating in the thread. I am of the mindset that although other options/safeguards are smart to have in addition, when push comes to shove nothing offers as much protection/safety as a quality firearm/ammo that you are 100% confident in and familiar with.

The main thing I would say in addition to that is to educate yourself on the options and get a gun that you feel comfortable with all aspects of. Meaning something that perhaps you research options on together but that your wife is ultimately the one who handles, test fires, decides on and purchases. The most common thing I see with 1st time handgun buyers at my shop (myself and my wife included we got ours) is that we all tend to start with a bit larger handgun than we end up wishing we had for carry. Soon after realizing that, the people who actually carry all the time end up buying a second, smaller pistol and the others usually don't carry as much as they planned to (fading off with time to a point of rarely carrying). The second most common thing I see in this situation is for the husband, with good intentions, to push the wife to get a certain pistol and then it doesn't end up being something that really works for her and she either never carries it or needs a 2nd gun soon after as a result.

Some of the common hard-to-go-wrong-with options to give you something to look at would be: Ruger LCP II 380 is a light, highly concealable option (even pocket carry) for $300. S&W 638 is a great stainless carry revolver for usually under $450. Ruger EC9 no frills 9mm for $200-250. S&W 9mm M&P shield, glock 43, Sig p365. If nothing else will fit the wardrobe the north american 22LR mini is a high quality derringer you can wear in a jogging outfit and conceal.

And of course for the house you can't go wrong with a name brand pump shotgun, best value out there at the moment is probably the mossberg maverick 88 18.5" which you should find around $200 or so.

I totally agree with Andy about a pump shotgun for in home. 20 ga is fine, keep it as short, light and easy to swing as possible.

It is also very easy to put one of todays modern flashlights mounted below the barrel so she can turn the light on, be sure of her target.

Personally I am a fan of stun guns. I have bought them for myself, my wife, friends both male and female.

I keep mine at the door so it is instantly available if needed. They tend not to be expensive unless you want to spend the cash.

I have gotten several from BudK that are rechargeable via a 110v ac plug in. Once or twice a year just top off the charge.

What I like about it, when I have tested it in the prescience of friends and I pushed the button. They all jumped back.
    That ZAP hits ya where you live. You come any closer after that, well you know your going to ride the lighting.

I like the fact that it is less than lethal, and incapacititating. Gives me time to leave, or fort up.

I think I paid 14$ for most of mine, bit more for my wifes friend, but it had pepper spray included.

Worth every penny to sleep well at night.

Pistols are all very well, but they will wobble in the hands of most women. Giving the offender the wrong message.

Where a shotgun has this HUGE bore facing them. And if they have any smarts at all, they know shotguns at close range leave "bloody rat holes" where they hit. Yes even 20 ga's.

Birdshot 6's or 7.5's work fine for inside the house ranges. Are not as likely to leave the area and hurt someone else.

00 buckshot can penetrate 6 layers of sheet rock and still kill. Fine for outdoors. Just remember, if they are running they are no longer a threat, and you have zero justification to shoot.

Me I prefer not to take the chance of one of my projectiles killing my wife in another bedroom or a neighbor.
    But it is your life, your choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12