Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 45-70 NOE 460-396 Marlin GBL pet loads

45-70 NOE 460-396 Marlin GBL pet loads

Darn lever actions seem to keep following me home and then expect me to feed them.

This is my first foray into the .45-70 so was looking for any powders and load data you guys like and use with 400 grain boolits. I have an NOE brass mold addiction, and so ordered the 460-396.

Should mention I live in Arizona and it can get a tad warm here (postal employee just cooked a steak in his truck on the dash the other day) so temperature sensitive powders are not great here.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

Long time fav for TD loads is 5744. Unique makes for some nice light loads too.

Trail Boss works well and 3032 has quite a following too. H322 heck many good powders out there!

RL7 & 4198 for heavier loads.

What is your velocity needs? Hunting or target? Heavy or light?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    3031 & 4198. Many others suitable as well.

I want something with some oomph but not where my ears flap in front of my face during recoil. I'm too old to beat myself up for fun anymore. Not wanting mouse farts as well. I have an 1894csbl so I can shoot that if I don't feel like getting kicked.

So, I guess I'm looking for a good thumper, but not an ultimate thumper load, if that makes sense. Accuracy is more important. I don't like having several loads for one gun, so I target shoot what I hunt with... though even mouse fart loads in this would probably kill anything I might find in Southern Arizona unless I visit the zoo (they won't let me in there anymore.)

Boolit Master

Then for me I would only need xmp5744. Older
    Bottles had the load printed in the front. I think it's just 5744 now. Its a fairly bulky powder. It will give you trap door loads to little hotter. Plenty for any paper or steel and even med big game within range.

The 45/70 is a large case and Im not a fan of small amounts of fast powder in such cases. I also dont like any fillers under a bullet. My concerns are detonation with just powder.
    Trail Boss powder was created for moderate pressure but low velocity and its very large kernels. They look like mini cherrios. And do a good job of filling the case. .

CW

Boolit Master
    I've used 4227 in my 45/70s with 400 to 500 gr bullets in my Sharps,recoil wasn bad and decent accuracy. Marlin is lighter but I don't think the recoil will be too severe.

Boolit Master

I am just a bit further down to the SE from you in SV and enjoy casting and shooting my 45-70 also.

I use and like Unique & 2400 for many of my loads. You can use UNQ for a decent, but a bit mild 400 gr. load. 2400 is great for a bit more power but not full power.

Boolit Master
    Use 2400 in my slb with 405 gr boolits 22gr works for me and I'm a wimp.

I decided to try some 2400 for the 367 HP's. Put them over 25 grains. Recoil was not bad at all. 1501 fps with a standard deviation of 26.

I loaded the 376 CN and 385 WFN with 50.0 grains of Varget. I could feel that, but it didn't make my ears flap in front of my face. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Got 1701 fps and 17 standard dev. with the CN and 1860 fps and 33 std. dev with the WFN. Had to change out the front sight from the Skinner Guide back to the original front sight as I didn't have enough elevation adjustment in the Skinner peep, so we shall see on the next testing day if this dials it in for the sights.

I need to buy more brass.

Banned
    Make and model make a difference as to how hard you can push the 45-70 boolits. there are 3 different load ranges in Lyman CB#3.

Make sure you get loads for your gun

Boolit Master
    My old load for my '86 Win 45-70 since early 60s has been 48-50 gr 3031 under the Lyman 457483GC
    mod with 1/4" flat nose. Clocks 1740fps. Killed a lot of deer with that load.
    Later, ran out of 3031, so loaded 50 gr 4895 or Varget. About same POI as the 3031 loads.
    Now have a Marlin 1895G for a light carry gun. Worked up a very accurate, lighter recoil
    load with 52 gr 3031 under the RCBS 459 300 gr FNGC ( wt 318 gr in 9+1 coww/lino)
    Should be deadly on deer- but have not yet shot one with this load/rifle.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Again, I am responsible only for myself with my own loads.
    Check the handbooks for safe load comparisons. My loads are indeed for the "86 win or Marlin 1895
    as shown in Lyman handbook.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master

For my hunting loads I’ve had good luck with a stiff load of varget. Plinking Loads I use unique or trailboss.

I worked up a good Varget load... my boolits are 385 grain checked and powder coated.
    53.5 grains of Varget gives me exactly 1800 fps and a standard deviation of 9. Went up to 54 grains but that starts to compress the powder for only a gain of 51fps.

For lighter recoil, I put the HP version of this boolit 375 grains on 27 grains of 2400 for 1618 fps, and is very pleasant to shoot.

Sooooooo, I ordered a NOE 360-538 which, when checked and powder coated are 540 grains. The HP are 530 grains. HUGE boolit!

Currently working up load data for these with 4198 and 2400. Because they are seated deep to work in an 1895GBL, I’ve been pretty cautious but it looks like about 1400 fps is the sweet spot, and recoil is not bad at all.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	077E4AAD-C93D-4E90-9F64-4FC5F4E49430.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	247097

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A952A29D-7489-4937-855D-53C26C8BC694.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	247098

Here is a couple of RANCH dog Bullet loads.

CW