Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slug alloys

Boolit Grand Master

I've been toying with the idea of getting Accurate to make a mould for HB then I can make my own HB pin. Tom can't cut the big groove the way the Kynoch original was (like the CBE) but he can make come close. With the HB it might work for smoothbore but mostly it would drop weight to a reasonable level.

If launched mildly apparently even the really heavy slugs aren't that bad to shoot. I've shot 800 gr. slugs but those were over a healthy (unhealthy for me) load of Blue Dot. Those weren't too pleasant to shoot! Greg Sappintgon says his 1000 gr. slug isn't bad at all at around 1000 FPS but it still penetrates deeply. Those heavy slugs are hard to stop!

For the most part though I figure 400 to 600 grs. is a "sweet spot" for weight of 12 ga. slugs. Less lead consumed, less recoil... at least with hefty loads and plenty of poop for most needs as Randy points out.

Since we're on an "slug alloys" thread that comes into it too. I mostly cast from range scrap or ACWW and sometimes oven heat treated WW. I used to cast my Lyman Fosters from pure lead. So far I have had 0 problem with leading even with the pure lead slugs. Not sure how it goes with rifled guns as I have only shot one rifled gun and about 15 rounds of unlubed ACWW 0.735" RB's went through it. Not a spec of lead came out.

I can see soft lead slugs causing some grief in rifled guns though.

What I will be interested in is a range report from rifle vs gun with pics of recovered slugs if possible. I'd like to see if his soft lead CBE Paradox slugs mushroom well. I expect they will but would like to see some. If I ever get one of those CBE moulds I'd like the HP version just because but it is substantially pricier then the solid version. I guess if a guy like me wants a few HP's its likely more cost effective to drill them. I do like recovered mushroomed boolits!

Need pics of mushroomed Paradox boolits!

Longbow

Yes wounding will happen!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In Remembrance

I have decent accuracy with my Lee 1 oz. slugs made of straight wheel weights in a cylinder bore barrel, BUT, these are only plinking/fun shoot rounds.
    Do you all think these wouldn't do the job on a deer shot inside of 75 yards? I still have a bunch of factory loaded slugs to hunt with if I decide to but I never thought my cast slugs would be a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I think you'd be fine if you can keep them in the vitals. Even at 1000fps, you're going to put a BIG hole in a deer.

Boolit Grand Master

I really doubt you have the accuracy for a 75 yard shot, but the energy certainly is there. I couldn't keep shots under 4" at 50 yards with any lee slug, let alone 75. Not many have done better.

In Remembrance

Thanks for the input, 75 yards was a guestimate as 35-40 yards is the farthest I "think" I have shot these slugs.

Boolit Mold
    Little different slant here. I've been shooting the old Brenneke pattern slugs for quite a few years now. Rottweil loads a version, as does Brenneke. These things got a large flat on the end with a lip on it, and they seem to be cast pretty hard. Anybody on here ever salvage lead from one to measure hardness?

Boolit Master

IMHO, the Brenneke slug is still the king of the "Foster-style" slugs, although the Federal True-Ball is a close second. Many of us have pursued the "attached base wad" style of slug for a while now, with varying degrees of success. I do believe that the Brenneke's are harder than other slugs and that , at last partially, that is a factor in their success. Perhaps the 3-D printed basewads will be the answer we have waited for........
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123