RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slug alloys

Boolit Master

Define faulty slug please. For instance...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_083511.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	246532 Looks great at 50 yards, but at 100 yards it looks like a pattern and not a group. I'm talking bad, 12-15 inches.The gun is a Savage 220, the alloy is 50/50. I have cast some in pure lead, but can't get to the range til Monday. The slug is a Accurate 62-360s and Longshot.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Define faulty slug please. For instance...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_083511.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	246532 Looks great at 50 yards, but at 100 yards it looks like a pattern and not a group. I'm talking bad, 12-15 inches.The gun is a Savage 220, the alloy is 50/50. I have cast some in pure lead, but can't get to the range til Monday. The slug is a Accurate 62-360s and Longshot.
    In your case, that bullet is so short and stubby, it may just not be stable to 100 yards.

Boolit Master

That same set up works great in my 12 ga. Normally I might agree, but this happens with factory ammo too. Federal, Remington, Hornady and Winchester. This gun don't like nuthin. Starting to think it may be the scope. Brand new Redfield.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I had one problem with water dropped WW. I shot my chrono. The skirt collapsed and fractured. The piece that cracked off went right through my chrono. It may have been a bad slug to begin with???? But I think it was the too hard and brittle lead.
    Same here. Just a BB size something through the screen and it went very deep. It was kind of stupid when I thought about it, on me, the data is recorded on my phone via Bluetooth, I don't need to see the screen. I now block the front of the chrony with a piece of plywood mounted on a tripod.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Taylor, what are you using behind the slug? What about chamber length vs. hull length? Finally, what crimp?
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That same set up works great in my 12 ga. Normally I might agree, but this happens with factory ammo too. Federal, Remington, Hornady and Winchester. This gun don't like nuthin. Starting to think it may be the scope. Brand new Redfield.
    Definitely try a different scope. If you still can't get any of the popular factory slugs to even stay on paper, it might be a good idea to send it back to Savage.

Boolit Bub
    dead soft lead sheet lead or plumbing pipe no wheel weights lino or hard lead

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot the lyman foster and i don't use pure lead , i just make sure i can gouge it with my fingernail. that way i can play around with changing it to suit my needs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Definitely try a different scope. If you still can't get any of the popular factory slugs to even stay on paper, it might be a good idea to send it back to Savage.
    I'm a Weaver guy and had a conversation with a technician concerning scopes on a shotgun. All of their non-rimfire offerings are good to go on a shotgun. What he did say with any scope on a heavy recoil firearm, the scope should be operating near the center of its adjustments. As you get out to the limits of adjustments, you can see a variation in POI simply from the view through the scope plus the damage they've seen out at the limits of adjustment.

I've experienced the POI variation when I had a scout mount added to a Rossi 92 480 Ruger. I had a custom mount made, but the need to maintain a certain thickness of the base dictated that it not wholly compensate for the taper of the barrel. The effort was to keep the base and scope as low as possible on the barrel. I have several dozen scout rifles, they all use the Weaver Classic K4 Scout. The effect once sending heaving bullets downrange 100 yards and beyond, meant that the verticle adjustment was near its limit. The gunsmith recommended what Weaver did, so rather than try a different scope, I used Burris Signature Rings with inserts. The gunsmith hit the nail on the head; it took the 20º offsets that he recommended. Since then, as I get very off of center, I keep track of verticle and horizontal offset from center, I used the referenced Burris rings for the offset and shoot the scope with the reticle centered. I use half of the turrets adjustment range as a limit before I switch rings as these rings are expensive

I just received a 12G laser bore sighter. I should have bought one a long time ago. I started over on my 695; it won't take much for me to switch rings to the Burris. I even used it with my open sighted Western Field 170. That smoothbore was shooting to the lower-left corner of an 8.5x11 target. That's exactly were the sights were pointing. The rear sight has vertical and horizontal adjustments; it's now centered. That $9 purchase is going to save a lot of shooting.
    Michael

Banned

Get the Burris signature Z rings with the inserts. They have 0,5,10,20 thousandths offsets to zero your scope.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone recovered slugs fired through a lengthened forcing cone? Just wondering if they show less distortion of the nose?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Hi , does anyone have any experience with bore riding slugs. I have just built a 12 bore gun for a competition we shoot. I have run a few 850gr pure lead slugs through it over 24gr of Trail Boss. As expected it has leaded up more than I want( any is more than I want if possible). It has been suggested to run an alloy of between 20:1 to 30:1 of lead:tin. BTW we are star crimping the shells and running a cut down wad, the rifle is chambered to 2 3/4" and is .729" using a Pac Nor barrel. Any advice appreciated. Mark.
    Cheers Mark..

"Its life Jim but not as we know it"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rifle vs gun View Post
    Hi , does anyone have any experience with bore riding slugs. I have just built a 12 bore gun for a competition we shoot. I have run a few 850gr pure lead slugs through it over 24gr of Trail Boss. As expected it has leaded up more than I want( any is more than I want if possible). It has been suggested to run an alloy of between 20:1 to 30:1 of lead:tin. BTW we are star crimping the shells and running a cut down wad, the rifle is chambered to 2 3/4" and is .729" using a Pac Nor barrel. Any advice appreciated. Mark.
    Is this a brass or plastic/paper case? Being you are shooting such heavy slugs, I'm going to assume this is a rifled gun. I'm really surprised you got leading. From personal experience, I've ran both 20:1 and clip on wheel weight alloys bare with no leading. Lube would help for sure. 24 grains seems like a large volume of trail boss. Are you still using a wad under your slugs?

Rifle vs. Gun I believe you and I shoot different weapons and for an entirely different reason, mine not being competitive. Therefore I don't know the rules of your game. I find that powder coated bore riding slugs don't lead the bore, smooth or rifled. I know, not the traditional way. Gp

Hi Megasupermagnum thanks for the reply, I am running Winchester ranger plastic cases, the slug isn't rifled the bore is. The slugs are only Allox lubed. I have a cut down wad under the slug. I agree the harder the alloy I should get less leading. I am going to grab some 20:1 later this week and give it a run, my new mould should be ready by then too. Shoot straight ol mate
    Cheers Mark..

Boolit Grand Master

Is there any chance these are hollow base slugs? I have had wads push into the hollow cavity causing all kinds of problems. The fix for that is to fill the cavity with hot glue.

Hi GP, yip, I shoot holes in bits of paper and I reckon you shoot things to eat. I will get a some out of the new mould powder coated to see, but I am sure you are right. My rifle is a Greener GP with a Pac Nor barrel, sights fitted and new massive for-end( similar to the real old Beretta beavertail, picked one up 40 years ago and loved it). We shoot over 25,50 and 100 metres(fat yards). Thanks for the reply.
    Cheers Mark..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12g Paradox.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	248152
    I have brought a new mould from an Australian company, Cast Bullet Engineering. This one according to the description should be a little lighter at 780gr. Its a flat base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12g Paradox.jpg  
    Last edited by rifle vs gun; 09-10-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: JPG incorrect formatting
    Cheers Mark..

Boolit Grand Master

That is my all time favourite design. I lust for an H&H Paradox gun to shoot one in. I will never have the H&H Paradox gun but I may yet get the boolit mould.

That design might work through rifled choke tube and certainly should work well from fully rifled gun. I am a bit surprised that more people haven't posted results from those boolits. I have read posts from people buying or intending to buy the mould but I don't think I have seen a single range report. Maybe there are some on shotgunworld or nitroexpress.

I will be very interested to see some range reports on those babies! CBE is the only outfit I know of making what appears to be a faithful copy of the old Paradox boolits.

I like it!

Longbow

Boolit Master

There's your bear slug Kent! But at 780 grns even if it kills the bear you're still gonna be wounded!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast