Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Can hard lead boolits be softened in an oven ??

Can hard lead boolits be softened in an oven ??

If you heated boolits that have a 15 BHN, can they be softened to a 9 or 10 BHN through an oven heat treatment ??
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master

If they are water dropped, then yes, you may lessen the hardness through a heat cycle and slow cooldown. If they are 15 bhn air cooled, them they will basically stay 15bhn.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve wondered if you could soften boolits. My idea was to heat the lead really hot and maybe burn off some of the alloys that harden the lead. Never tried it. Maybe someone has some ideas about it.

Boolit Master

Sure... 20 min @ 400 then air cooled. They will be soft as you can get them.

But lube might be gone.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-06-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I made a chart of different temperature and resulting hardness. I found with wheel weight alloys, you could change the hardness right where you want it by 25 degree changes in heat, then quenching.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

once lead is alloyed its very hard to separate the tin and antimony from the lead. You sure cant do it without remelting it all. You cant soften bullets any softer then what the original alloy was air cooled. So if you have air cooled ww that tests 10bhn you cant put it in the oven and get 8bhn. Only softening you can really do is to water dropped bullets. You can get them back to the original air cooled bhn and with careful temp varying get them to any point between there hardness now and the air cooled hardness that's as soft as you can go. .
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve wondered if you could soften boolits. My idea was to heat the lead really hot and maybe burn off some of the alloys that harden the lead. Never tried it. Maybe someone has some ideas about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    If you heated boolits that have a 15 BHN, can they be softened to a 9 or 10 BHN through an oven heat treatment ??
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    I guess you are asking what would happen if you heated your cast bullets that have air cooled to 15 BHN to nearly the slump temp and then let them air cool slowly. This would be a lot like a fresh cast bullet. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition addresses age hardening of cast bullets. It all depends upon the presence of antimony. More antimony, the faster it age hardens.

The window for the use of the soft fresh cast bullet will be rather small, two to three weeks. Age hardening rapidly at first and slowing as it reaches maturity. I would think that it would be very impractical to attempt to expect to have any consistent bullet performance with the method.

Boolit Grand Master

Impressive answers! Look at post #2 then read post #3...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Easiest way to soften boolits is to melt them down with a little more soft lead and re-cast...
    I'm pretty sure if you oven treat them, they will get soft for a while and then harden back up.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

You can remove heat treating(quenching) that was done, air cool and you will be back to the hardness of alloy. Post number two has the correct answer.
    Charter Member #148