Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Repurposing Lee 6 cav. handle

Repurposing Lee 6 cav. handle

I recently acquired my 1st. brass mold through a group buy: the MP 359 Hammer. Fortunately Curioushooter started a thread under "Casting & Reloading"and through the many responses I was able get my tail gate casting equipment assembled early this morning (before the heat wave) and produce some decent boolits. That MP mold is so nice that I found myself being very picky & returned some shootable boolits to the pot...…...I just wanted the nice ones.

I made the right choice going with the 2 cav. for the weight factor. In less than a week I'll be 80 & my hand strength is not what I was when I was 75. I used MP handles and anyone that has them knows what a fine product it is. I would rest the poured mold momentarily against the wood on which the elevated furnace is mounted & rest it on the padded surface that I drop boolits on while I opened the mold & tapped the boolits free. I found myself wanting a shorter handle. The MP handle positions the mold so far out that it was a lever system with a disadvantage.

I happened to have a fairly new Lee handle that had experienced an unexplainable failure (see photo). I know that I could call Lee & they would send me another, but I'd have the expense & trouble of sending them the failed unit. This lee turned out to be the donor for a set-up that puts the mold closer to my hand (the weight of the mold is no longer like a divining rod).

The photos are self explaining. You'll note that the end result is only a 1.5" reduction in OAL, but the hinge point is nearer the hand giving the feel of a 2" reduction. Any advantage is welcomed.

Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-015F.JPG   MVC-016F.JPG   MVC-017F.JPG   MVC-018F.JPG   MVC-019F.JPG  

MVC-020F.JPG   MVC-021F.JPG  
    Last edited by oldhenry; 08-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Nice job repurposing those Lee handles. I would agree that when you have a 4 cavity at the end of those big handles it feels like a divining rod. But Miha molds do drop beautiful boolits.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

To be clear: I have 2 MP 8 cav. & 2 6 cav. aluminum MP molds & they balance very well with the MP handles.

Henry

Boolit Master

Excellent!

I also prefer Longer handles and did that to a broken set I picked up off ebat for a magma mold. (One side needs to be short)

Good job!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

Nice job!

Boolit Grand Master
    Those Lee handles for 6-cav moulds are one of their most useful products. They are becoming sort of the de facto “universal” handles to use or modify slightly so they can be used for virtually everything. The one downside is that so many folks have discovered this fact that they are sometimes in short supply. I don’t believe universal handles for all manufacturers was Lee’s original goal, but that’s where he ended up!

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 08-12-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

I modified a set of Lyman handles to fit a two cavity NOE mold in a similar fashion instead of buying another set of handles. It is good to look at what we have that is not being used and repurpose them.

Quote Originally Posted by JMax View Post
    I modified a set of Lyman handles to fit a two cavity NOE mold in a similar fashion instead of buying another set of handles. It is good to look at what we have that is not being used and repurpose them.
    I did the same with my Lyman handles , I just drilled another set of holes .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Banned
    Nicely Done and time well spent !

Boolit Master
    Very innovative, great way to think ,and do.