MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Howdah Heck are ya?

Boolit Buddy

Howdah Heck are ya?

I have a Howdah pistol on the way from Cabeles and want to get some round balls or other lead projectiles for plinking. I really dont want to have to get into casting as i dont have patience for casting. What are my options for this smooth bore 20 ga? Do they have off the shelf round balls or something that is more accurate?
    thanks for any help.

My son has a 20ga flintlock trade rifle and shoots a 0.600" pure lead round ball over ffg Goex. The ball is patched to fit the bore. Google Track of the Wolf, i think they sell pure know lead round balls.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    thanks. With the price of this stuff, i am considering doing the casting. I do have a lot of lead laying around. Has anyone shot anything other than round ball thru a 20 gauge muzzle loader? I am thinking of a conical or slug instead of just round ball.
    thanks

Boolit Master
    Conicals will tumble.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Buckshot?

Boolit Grand Master

Load up an ounce of#5 shot and chase afew pesky wabbits.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    My shooting buddy has one of these, and they are a lot fun to shoot, though you should banish any thoughts of long-range accuracy---not gonna happen! Still, the really fun part is that you can shoot just about anything out of there (but please stay safe!) Crazy YouTubers even shoot AA batteries out of these, to surprisingly great effect: https://youtu.be/Ag-0Us1dNi4
    I've always been a big fan of wax slugs in shotguns, but a lot of BP shooters will argue that BP will melt the plastic wads. This doesn't seem to be true, but if you're worried, some lubed wool felt wads should take care of that. I talked my buddy into trying this, and they work really well, without needing to cast anything (just melt some wax.) This guys shows one method (in Polish): https://youtu.be/Ymi233Nz8ok
    Regular old round balls and buckshot are just as much fun, and honestly much less trouble!