Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Proven right

Boolit Master

Proven right

Despite my wife's repeated attempts to clean out the garage of "all that junk you'll never use" I now have a use for my Squad Stove

The Lee 10lb pot was just too small to break out the turkey fryer...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-1950 Squad Stove.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	246319

Boolit Master

It appears nobody else is going to comment. That is a very narrow base and very top heavy. It's a terrible accident waiting to happen. Your pic may be deceiving, but I don't think so. That much molten lead on the loose wouldn't be any fun.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Drill a hole in each if the stove feet, screw it down to a 12" square piece of plywood. Problem solved.

I would suggest perhaps a mention in passing to the Wife. Rubbing her nose in it would probably be a bad idea...

Boolit Master
    LOL figured more comments on the wife... defiantly mentioned in passing while on the riding mower as she was walking away

Surprisingly the stove/pot combination is quite stable without screwing it down, it weighs more than it appears even without the fuel. I have had much more stacked on that little stove over the years.

All the same though I am careful around it and any other hot work, molten metal is molten metal no matter what its setting on.

Boolit Grand Master

That's what I started casting with back in the late '60s; a squad stove but with the Lyman round bottom pot. Made a perforated steel ring to sit on top of the stove with the round pot nestled in it. The ring channeled the heat around the pot and smelted alloys a lot better. I also used white gas or Colman fuel in mine. Cast many thousand 429421s and 311359s with it. Still have the complete set up.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have one of those stoves and it worked great for years. Ever run it on denatured alcohol? Mine sounded like a Saturn V taking off and it burned hot, but never leave the alcohol in there for extended periods. The moisture in it will rust out the tank, which is what happened to mine. I never melted lead with it, but it would sure do it. I get what RickinTN says and have to agree a spill would be most unpleasant. I'm thinking a cradle for the pot with a wide base for stability would be easy enough to fab up.

Boolit Master

That has happened to me often enough ( the using of something stored ) that My Wife no longer questions my bringing home "junk" knowing that I will probably find a use And it is a waste of time anyway . if I can still find it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Great
    Yes, it is good to have a stockpile of treasures
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

We're packing up to move. She looks at EVERYTHING that isn't hers and asks, "Are you going to keep that?" Well, I could pitch it all and replace it in a month. She wouldn't like that very much either.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    It appears nobody else is going to comment. That is a very narrow base and very top heavy. It's a terrible accident waiting to happen. Your pic may be deceiving, but I don't think so. That much molten lead on the loose wouldn't be any fun.
    Rick
    I have an early Coleman Peak 1 which I think is even taller than that stove. It is surprisingly stable. I have often used it with a large 12 cup percolator coffee pot on top without any issues. That is not to say some sort of wood base mount wouldn't be prudent for lead melting, maybe with wing nuts for easy removal. Or even a simple block and lip arrangement that the feet slid under.

Rip a 3/4 x 3/4 piece of wood, cut a saw kerf worth of groove along one edge. Cut into blocks and screw to base with the saw cut on the bottom. Slide feet under that lip to secure to base, slide out to remove.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

Looks like an accident waiting to happen.......be careful!