WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Estate Sale

Boolit Master

Estate Sale

Went to an estate sale over the weekend, I got there fairly early and was given a number. One of the guys ahead of me made a flying leap and snatched 5-6 lbs. of Goex, don't know what it was priced at but it was bound to be cheeper than the $30 something it usually is.

I did pick up a powder horn, very plain but solid and well made. It had a cup hook for the back strap but it now sports a handmade staple. It has his initials and a date of 1981 that will stay on the horn. I will use it for the rifle I am currently working on.

I would like to have known the guy, although the gun stuff and woodworking tools were obviously well picked over by the family I could tell that we had a lot of common interest. I also got a Blue Grass chisel and a Radi Plane.

Banned
    Dealers have taken a lot of the fun out of sales for me.

Down here in Florida most estate sales are picked over long before the actual sale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Theditchman View Post
    Down here in Florida most estate sales are picked over long before the actual sale
    Amen to that, and with the internet everyone is now an expert. IF I happen to be driving by one I will stop, but I don't go out "yard salein'" any more.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately I have had to have a few estate sales in the family. YES, it is picked over by the family. I would hope that your kids/family pick through your stuff before putting it out in an auction.

PS sorry this is at a bad time. At an estate sale for my father in law I heard several folks complain that the son-in-laws got all the "good stuff". Stupid thing to say when the family is present.

Boolit Master
    I'm not complaining about the family picking over the stuff, the family has the right and should have first chance. What is left needs to go somewhere, if some money is made good for them.

I only have one friend that knows what to do with what I have and he is 16 years older than I am. Most of my relatives are good folks but don't have a clue about my things, just junk to be disposed of.

My wife and I enjoy our Friday mourning out knocking around and having a nice breakfast. If we are lucky we can still pick a gem out of the junk. Sometimes the guy in front of me gets the goods and sometimes the guy behind me gives me the stink eye.

Have fun looking.
    Dave

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the estate auctions are picked over by family here as it should be. A lot here in the area if they see a gamily member bidding on an item they wont bid against them. Was like that at Dads estate auction.
    When it gets interesting is when 2 family members want the same item, Since their bids are a percentage of the bid The a real biding war takes place and prices look astronomical LOL

Boolit Master
    A lot of things claiming to be "Estate Sales" around here.....ain't.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I'm not complaining about the family picking over the stuff, the family has the right and should have first chance. What is left needs to go somewhere, if some money is made good for them.

I only have one friend that knows what to do with what I have and he is 16 years older than I am. Most of my relatives are good folks but don't have a clue about my things, just junk to be disposed of.

Have fun looking.
    Dave
    I know the feeling , I have been intrigued by guns as far back as I can remember I like um all and anything to do with them (I did go through a few years where girls were almost as interesting but it didn't last long ) I wish some of my grand kids had the same passion.

Boolit Master

Sad to say, same is true here in TX...better to do the rounds than attend a 3rd-party estate sale
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...