WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger 3 screw (unaltered) 44 mag better grips needed

Ruger 3 screw (unaltered) 44 mag better grips needed

I picked up a 1969 made Super Blackhawk (80 prefix) unaltered 3 screw gun. It is mint condition and I intend to shoot it a LOT. I already have put a bunch of cast 44's light load (H&G #503 over 8.5 gr ww231) through it along with some full house 44's.
    Shooting full house 44's out of it is not bad, and certainly tolerable, but I could use some better grips.
    Any suggestions?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I have that same gun and have resisted putting rubber grips on it because they're ugly. As long as you don't shoot 300 grain bullets and WW296 powder, you shouldn't need rubber grips...

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I have that same gun and have resisted putting rubber grips on it because they're ugly. As long as you don't shoot 300 grain bullets and WW296 powder, you shouldn't need rubber grips...
    I shoot 240 jhp's with 296. I need SOMETHING!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I shoot 240 jhp's with 296. I need SOMETHING!
    The rubber grips look like they'd be easier on the hands with full power loads and they sell for about twenty bucks. If you don't like them you're not out a lot of money. I wore a kevlar shooting glove for awhile and that calmed things down. The SBH has a really nasty recoil with hot handloads....

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    The rubber grips look like they'd be easier on the hands with full power loads and they sell for about twenty bucks. If you don't like them you're not out a lot of money. I wore a kevlar shooting glove for awhile and that calmed things down. The SBH has a really nasty recoil with hot handloads....
    Are you talking about Pachmyars?

Boolit Master

I got these and they work and look great. https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...ger/blackhawk/

Pachmayrs are softer than Hogues and a better shade of ugly but both are like power steering for those dang hot loads. I don't like either but I only shoot hot loads for hunting so I can stand a few for practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I got these and they work and look great. https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...ger/blackhawk/
    Mighty fine grips! Reasonably priced.

I've been shooting the same SBH in .41 magnum since 1971. I like the looks of the original grips. I shoot warn to hot loads. Pachmayars make a huge difference in feel of the gun. They absorb recoil better and I can shoot better groups with the ugly rubber gips.

Boolit Master
    Only YOUR hands & grip can tell you what will work the best. If the looks of your current grips is the issue,, then it's an easy swap to replace them.
    But,, it seems your post refers to recoil,, so what works best for me or the other guys may,, or may not work for you. Experimentation will be required.

Boolit Master
    I had Steve Herritt’s Shooting Stars without the checkering on mine in the late 70’s and they shot great but were ugly. I got an Old Army standard grip frame in the white fitted and blues to my SBH and had a set of grips custom made out of purple heart wood with Ruger medallions and could not be happier.

Boolit Master

I wear size 9 gloves and also found the original Super Blackhawk grip frame objectionable: I don't like the extended grip length on either the SBH frame or the XR3-REDs. On the only 3 screw I kept, I installed an old XR3 alloy grip frame from an early Single Six. Of course, this necessitated a new standard hammer and trigger. Then I topped off the upgrades with a steel ejector rod housing and steel Micro Sight.

Now, I had a graceful revolver that handles like a Flat Top.

Boolit Bub
    Pachmayr Presentation, pretty is as pretty does. They make quite a difference.
    Not sure if the new model grips will fit an old model, but I have a 3 screw with Presentation grips so I know they at least made them at some point.