WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for 158 GR. SWC mold

I have a 6 cavity lee tl-358-158 swc mold. These cast real easy and are very accurate in my revolvers with 6.5gns of unique. Since I got the 359- hammer hp mold, I haven’t used the lee. I would be willing to make a trade.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    For years I've used an H&G #51, a 158 SWC. This is the original Philip Sharpe-designed .357 Magnum bullet. Shoots very well in .38 Special and .357 Magnum and has been accurate enough that I have no real need to search for anything else. I would guess with the many mould makers we are blessed with today, someone has duplicated the #51 design. However, there are probably other bullet designs that would be just as accurate.
    I was speaking to a NOE rep yesterday, the NOE 360-158 and variations are built based on the H&G 51.

I have tried nearly all variations of SWC that are available other than custom molds. All shoot pretty much the same for me. No one design is more accurate than another for me. I get excellent accuracy from all of them including the Lee 158 grain tumble lube version.
    Of the round nose designs I have tried, I prefer the Lyman 358311 or the Lee 158 tumble lube design.
    Of the full wadcutter boolits available, They all shoot the same for me, and all shoot well. I have tried the Lee tumble lube design and it shoots as well as the others. I have settled on the Lyman 358091 and the Lyman 358432 because the bevel base of the 358091 makes for easier loading and I use the 358432 for full power loads.
    I own NOE molds and they cast extremely well and shoot great also.
    Very few designs available work poorly. Pick one and run with it.

Boolit Master

The only thing I can say is Lyman 358156 or a good copy of it , Shoots great for me!

Boolit Master

I'll throw in my experience. I wanted a load for distinguished revolver,which requires a 158 g. bullet.
    My testing is based on a S&W 14 with a Ransom Reat at 50 yards.
    I have a NEI 2 Cavity 158 SWC. This mold has a rounded base.
    I have a RCBS 2 cavity 158 RN.
    I have a NOE 5 CAVITY 158 SWC.
    Of these three molds there is no discernible difference in accuracy. You can get great accuracy. The best group I got was with 4.6 g. of WW231. IT WAS 1 5/8" @50 yards. THIS IS OVER A MAXIMUM LOAD FOR .38 SPECIAL. This load had too much recoil for subatained fire. I settled on 3.5 g. of WST which shoots 2" at 50 yards.
    I also have a 158 g. SWC mold that has 2 crimping grooves up front and a deep grease groove behind. The crimping grooves are for 38 and 357. IIRC, The shorter groove allows the bullet to be used in K frame s&w in .357 mag. I CAN NOT GET THIS BULLET TO SHOOT AT ALL. I think the bullet is nose heavy and will not stabilize. I do not recommend this configuration.
    For .357 mag. I found the 125g, jacketed HP with WW 296 to be the most accurate load. That was in a 10" T/C Contender.
    For reference I lube with a Star lubri-sizer at .3582.

wv109323,

Is this the accuracy challenged design you are referring to, a modified version of the Lyman 358156? Mine is the NOE version, but I am under the impression a similar design was run as a group buy in the past.
    Attachment 246928

This one has not shot well for me at 38 special velocities and has to be driven at magnum level speeds to shoot its best. Curious as to which design gave you trouble.

Boolit Master

KVO
    I sent you a PM to your question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12