Load DataWidenersPBcastcoRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brent's Excellent Bore Gophers

Banned

Brent's Excellent Bore Gophers

Brent's .45 bore gophers work Great. Wiping between shots is really the better way to go for PPBs and greaser alike. Just a post on how I make these critters and the parts used.

Getting the forward felt onto the Dewey brush is just an easy push, but getting on the rear felt to go over the threaded end of the brush and the swedge will be a real chore if that felt hole isn't opened up. Two ways that help heaps is to either expand the felt's hole using a greased BBQ skewer or using a leather punch to open it up. Maybe drilling out the hole would work, too.

I soak the gophers in plain water before using, then flick off the excess just before inserting them into the chamber. I use a 3/8" plain delrin rod to push them past the chamber, then push a 2" patch to meet the gopher and push them both out the barrel and into a pan of water. The initial push on the gopher when it's past the chamber can be quite stiff, but then it usually eases up a lot for the final push down the bore. I like that the stiff push really cleans out the barrel like new. After the shooting day is over, the gophers go into the brass jug which is just plain water with a little dish soap. Back at the ranch, the gophers are rinsed in plain water, then laid out on a few sheets of newspaper to dry off - I'd never leave 'em in the sun - no further cleaning is needed.

Hope this helps for some folks.

Boolit Buddy
    Brent’s gophers work like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I ran felts over a running drill in my drill press to open them
    up to go over the 8-32 shank of the brushes
    beltfed/arnie

Great idea! I need to make myself a bunch of those.

Boolit Buddy
    I made some of those with a different Mcmaster carr washer. Mine are the EPDM #9013A012. Same size. I found them quite stiff to push through, although they worked well enough.

Just for kicks I made up a few with silicone baking sheet material. Punched them out by hand, and sort of centered the middle hole by eye. Not perfect, but for a test they were really good. I used two of them, as they are quite thin, and they work better than the stiffer rubber for this purpose. I think they will last longer too. Time will tell.

Banned

i think you'll find the #90133A017 oil resistant washers to be not as stiff as the #9013A012 weather resistant ones, and afford a better squeegee action in the tube.

Boolit Master

I just made a batch of these up, but had a lot of trouble pushing them through the bore. Do they get any easier with use?

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I just made a batch of these up, but had a lot of trouble pushing them through the bore. Do they get any easier with use?

Bob
    exactly what components did you use? if the ones i've listed, there will Always be some stiff resistance, which is a good thing as the bristles and felts are scrubbing away, and the washer squeegees the resulting mud through the grooves. i use a plain 3/8" derlin rod and choke up about 6" or so away from the chamber mouth for the initial push (or slam!) into the bore itself. once the gopher is fully into the bore i'll back out the rod, lay a dry 2" patch over the chamber mouth and push it up to the gopher, then for the stiff push down the muzzle and out, and into a pan of water. perhaps a stiffer 7/16" rod would be easier, but i've never had a problem with 3/8".

Boolit Buddy
    Where did you get the washers? My first go around I got them from Lowe’s and I had a hell of a time with them. The washers from ace hardware work good for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ian45662 View Post
    Where did you get the washers? My first go around I got them from Lowe’s and I had a hell of a time with them. The washers from ace hardware work good for me.

The washers are the ones rfd lists at the top from Mcmaster-Carr. I checked the local Ace for the washers that you recommended but they were package individually at $.79 and they didn't have them in bulk. I figured $11 bucks for 100 compared to $79 I could afford to replace them if they wore too fast.
    I'm using a 3/8 nylon rod to push, same rod I used for patches.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Bub
    Well I’ll be darned.

So... you soak those in water...and push them through the bore between shots instead of blow tubing, right?

I think I saw a fella using those on YouTube...

Banned

Boolit Master

I'd like to make some gophers for my .44-77 (Green Mountain barrel .4375/.446"). Would the number 10 neoprene washers listed above for .45 cal be OK for this slightly smaller barrel or would they bind? Is there a better size to use? Thanks, Steve

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I'd like to make some gophers for my .44-77 (Green Mountain barrel .4375/.446"). Would the number 10 neoprene washers listed above for .45 cal be OK for this slightly smaller barrel or would they bind? Is there a better size to use? Thanks, Steve
    I don't know. My guess is that they should work well enuf.

Banned

I push the bore gophers out the muzzle and into a tray of water, to keep the powder residue soft. When the shooting's done, I dump the gophers into the spent brass jug that's filled with water and a dash of dawn liquid soap.

Back at the ranch, the brass and gophers get rinsed with tap water and while the brass goes into an ultra sonic cleaner, the gophers go back into a jug of clean tap water that has a heaping tablespoon full of OxiClean powder added. This really cleans up the felts to almost like new.

Boolit Master

OK thanks. Is there any place in particular to get the felts and brushes - BACO?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    OK thanks. Is there any place in particular to get the felts and brushes - BACO?
    I would do web searches for both and find the best price for each.

Boolit Master

OK - thanks.

Boolit Master
    So for a 20-shot relay, you'd need 20 gophers, eh?

Boolit Master
    Don’t forget sighters.

KW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast