Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: .358 158gr SWCHP Mold - Source or Solution

Boolit Bub

.358 158gr SWCHP Mold - Source or Solution

Hi guys: I've got a duplicate load of the Chicago or FBI load using a 158 g LSWCHP and HS-6 and I'm loving it but want to cut cost even further on this load by casting my own instead of the the Speer LSWCHP I have been using. Can anyone point me towards someone that makes such a mold? I would prefer a MiHec 4 cav in brass and I did some searches and see people mentioning a Mihec 359-640 that would do what I want but it's been years since anyone mentioned it and the only thing I'm seeing on their web site is a 360-640 Light that isn't even close from what I can tell. Any help, assistance, or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Get Erik to do the conversion on the mold of your choice. Cost is about $50 per cavity. I usually have two cavities of a gang mold altered to HP and leave the other two as solids.

www.hollowpointmold.com
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you checked out the NOE site .
    NOE 360-158-SWC AT3 RG2 PB . This is a 158 grain SWC with HP , FP and cup point pins .
    Brass , two cavity .... 3 moulds are in stock right now . A four cavity is also in stock .
    Like having three moulds in one .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Is this what you’re looking for?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eith-SWC-RERUN
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Banned
    spur0701 - remember you need to start with a bullet heavier than 158gr before you convert the mold to a hollow point mold. You will lose a little bullet weight from the area occupied by the HP pin.

Also - The "FBI Load" (which I am a faithful supporter of) requires a rather soft bullet alloy. So take the alloy into consideration as well.

There are plenty of people on this forum that can steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Get Erik to do the conversion on the mold of your choice. Cost is about $50 per cavity. I usually have two cavities of a gang mold altered to HP and leave the other two as solids.

www.hollowpointmold.com
    I have NOE hollow point molds and I have MiHec hollow point molds but Erik's Inset-Bar hollow point conversion is far and away a better system. You can cast hollow points just as fast as you can plain bullets. It is that much smoother to cast with. Just heat it up and start casting.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Bub
    Ahhhh, that might do the trick......thanks....but will look at the NOE ones too........

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post

The cramer #26 molds come up for sale every now and then. 158gr keith hp.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mine casts a 156gr/157gr .359" hp swc using 8bhn/9bhn range scrap

Don't know if matters to you or not but not all bullet designs are created equal. In a 4"bbl or longer the difference becomes less due to the higher velocities of the longer bbl.'s. A couple of years ago I did some testing with these bullets plus a couple not shown (10 bullets in all) using 5 different powders in a 2" bbl'd snubnosed revolver (38spl).
    [IMG][/IMG]

These 4 bullets consistently outperformed the other 6 bullets velocity wise with all 5 powders.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Those 4 bullets pictured above were getting as much a 70fps more velocity than other bullets with the same load. What they have in common is either a huge bullet base/bottom drive band, a gas check or a long body. Any of those things are more efficient/seal the pressure's quicker creating higher velocities. While 70fps more velocity doesn't sound like much, it's huge in short bbl'd revolvers. The difference between a 800fps and 870fps load using the same powder. While the 70fps was the extreme end of the differences 30fps or 40fps more velocity is a real eye opener also.

Anyway just putting it out there that you may see huge differences between you swaged hpswc bullet and a cast hpswc simply because the swaged bullet seals extremely well & quickly with it's soft alloy and long bearing surface/bullet body. That cramer#26 is the red bullet (far left) of the 4 high performance bullets. It's also the 4th from left top row in the picture of the 8 bullets.

The cast swc hp's in the picture with the 8 bullets are the:
    lyman 358439
    lyman 358477
    h&g #51
    cramer #26