Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 2nd Childhood Eyes and Open Sights

Moderator Emeritus

2nd Childhood Eyes and Open Sights

I got new glasses a couple of weeks ago after I realized that my prescription had changed and while the new lenses helped I was encountering a hard time with the sights on my Ruger LC9S-Pro.....all of a sudden the sights were too dim and small.....I thought about upgrading to a different pistol with larger sights but on a companion site a man was talking about a similar issue.....he thought about upgrading and finally settled on brighter sights and he was satisfied......I then thought about it and I am a big fan of XS Big Dot sights and so I ordered a set and installed them today.....a few challenges but the sights went into place and man am I happy with the new bigger sight; the big dot really catches your eye and the result is I saved $400 to $500 and gained my satisfaction back.....so I am suggesting to think about the options.....unless you just want another gun.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Yeah, i mean nobody would want an excuse to buy another gun. I am happy for you the new sights got you back to the range.

BB

Boolit Master

Consider if Cataracts are the issue.
    They can be fixed!

I've got a couple of those fire sight fiber optic things and they are real easy to pick up.

It makes a shotgun seem like it points itself.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-04-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I can still count the leaves on a tree way out, but my arms are not long enough to read the church bulletin. My front sight now looks like something I would see in a funhouse mirror. I now sorta aim between the goal posts and rest the pumpkin between
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    One Ragged Hole rear peep (smallest appeture) with the Ruger front bead (the interchangeable front sight on a SRH) painted black

I had this on a Super Redhawk 9 1/2”

All this was traded for a 7 1/2” SRH in 480 Ruger with standard sights a few years ago so I do not know how my eyes work with it currently but at the time I let go of it they were a real godsend.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Consider if Cataracts are the issue.
    They can be fixed!
    They have been gone for years......thanks for the suggestion....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased a new set of shooting glasses because I wasn't able to see the sights on a handgun. While not as good as young eyes I can at least see the sights well enough to shoot better than I have for many years. The glasses are made with the correction in the upper part of the lens. They are sold by SSP Eyewear and can be ordered on-line at WWW.sspeyewear.com.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I thought I would have to totaly give up on open sights, have had cateract surgury, and have huge floater in the center of my eye that hurts with peeps, by accident I found out I can see iron sights better than peeps without my glasses. What really sucked was I love my flint lock rifles and it would be ugly putting a scope on a flinter
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy

You don't just get floaters after cataract surgery, you can also get a film that dulls your vision. They use lasers to burn mine off a few years after cataract surgery, mine is coming back, but was told at my last eye exam it was not bad enough to do again, of course this was the VA telling me this. They are not the ones looking through my eyes. Bought some florescent orange and titanium white to use on my pistol sights.

Boolit Master
    My mom had her optometrist make her a set of glasses specifically for shooting. Let’s her focus the sights really well.

Boolit Master

I have shooting specific glasses as well. The dominant eye side only has a bifocal at the top of the lens. I took my competition pistol to the eye doc (he's a shooter as well) and told him I wanted the bifocal to focus one inch beyond the front sight. The front sight is sharp, the rear sight is good enough and I can see the targets well enough to define center mass (USPSA and steel plates). I have also used readers with large, thick lenses for shooting and that worked well as long as they weren't too powerful.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the special glasses for shooting....I will do the research!

Range report.....replaced the small factory sights with XS Big Dot and today went to the range.....at the usual defense distances the gun ran well and the sights were dead on.....and easy to see......now all of my CHL guns wear them and they are truly great for combat shooting....not so good for target shooting as you are basically riding the front sight.....

Boolit Master
    Like David 2011, I sometimes wear readers with large full size lenses for use with pistols and iron-sighted milsurp rifles. I don't know if they're polycarbonate, but in my case at the lowest power that gives a clear sight picture the target is not too fuzzy - better than the sights being fuzzy. Polycarbonate single-power fullsize lenses would be better. All this is after cataract surgery several years ago, when I opted for the lens that fixes distance vision but requires readers. Still no regrets with that choice since I can drive, watch TV, and shoot through an aperture rifle sight without correction.

In Remembrance
    I am due for catarac surgery, one of the questions that the eye doc ask, was if I could see the open sights on my guns. I thought that was funny. lol

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I am due for catarac surgery, one of the questions that the eye doc ask, was if I could see the open sights on my guns. I thought that was funny. lol
    Had mine off over 7 years ago......but other issues came up that put me back into glasses....the colors are brighter and more vivid.....it was worth the surgery! Good luck and I will pray for success on your surgery.