RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Silencer questions

Silencer questions

They say a person is never too old to learn!

Having said this, I do not know if this is the proper place for this question ... but I bet I will find out soon enough.

Questions ;

... is a silencer regulated to a specific gun or just need the tax stamp and use it on any gun it will fit on?

... how is barrel length effected on the sound SUPPRESION?

... how long does the paperwork and final ownership legality's take?

... do most states allow silencers during hunting season?

Thats all for now. Apologize if this is inappropriate here on "single shot rifles".

Boolit Master

1. The suppressor is not regulated to any one firearm, caliber, and thread pattern yes. The stamp is for the suppressor only.
    2. I only have a .22 suppressor, it is quiet with a longer barrel. Do not know about center fire wpns, bore size and speed come into play, my guess.
    3. I waited over a year! OBummer!!!
    4. It should be in your state hunting regs.
    My limited knowledge.
    YMMV!
    It brings a smile to my face every time I fire it, with no ear pro!
    Last edited by 45workhorse; 08-04-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Like 45workhorse stated,

Not limited to any gun, as long as the caliber fits through the hole and the threads are correct.

I haven't used different lengths of barrels, so can't comment on that.

My latest one is still in Tax Stamp Jail. I filed all my paperwork 12-31-18. Don't anticipate to have it back until Early 2020.

I've had 2 previous, those took about 6-8 months each.

I am in AZ and we allow suppressors for hunting, as well as 30 round MAGAzines. (see what I did there)

Good Luck in your quest.

Boolit Master
    https://www.silencershop.com/where-are-they-legal

Currently, the following 42 states allow private ownership of suppressors:

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY.

About 30 states allow use of suppressors for hunting.

The larger the gap is between silencer bore size and bullet or gun's bore size, the less effective it is. So if you screw your silencer from a large bore gun on a smaller bore gun, the result will be louder than if it's sized correctly to the bore.
    High powered rifles moving at faster speeds also don't silence as well. A .22rf with standard velocity ammo works extremely well, and even more so if it's a long barreled gun.
    Regardless of what gun it's on, you must always have your "stamp" with you whenever you have the silencer with you.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    The larger the gap is between silencer bore size and bullet or gun's bore size, the less effective it is. So if you screw your silencer from a large bore gun on a smaller bore gun, the result will be louder than if it's sized correctly to the bore.
    High powered rifles moving at faster speeds also don't silence as well. A .22rf with standard velocity ammo works extremely well, and even more so if it's a long barreled gun.
    Regardless of what gun it's on, you must always have your "stamp" with you whenever you have the silencer with you.
    It is not a federal regulation to have the stamp with the silencer. It is definately recommended to have a copy with you. The original should be in safe with your other important papers.

I use a 45 and a 9mm rated with my 22 pistol and a rifle and they both do a really good job of quieting it. Most of the sound you hear is the metal gong ringing and the bolt in the auto moving.

Boolit Buddy
    I was all set to start the paperwork and then decided to wait a while. I heard that Trump was thinking about restricting them. So I'll just wait awhile longer, especially after the latest shootings in TX and Ohio.

ADMIN

I own a 1/2 dozen or so cans.

As mentioned above, the stamp is for the can only. The can is designed for a specific caliber but if the bullet can pass thru it and the can can screw on the barrel you can use it with any weapon.
    I have adapters for my 45 can so I can use it on 9mm, 40 and 300 BO.
    Keep in mind that a particular can is designed for a particular caliber. Yes you can use a 45 cal can on a 22 cal weapon but the weapon will be louder then if you used a can designed for 22 cal.
    Also something to consider is that the material the can is made of may restrict what you can use it on. You don't want to use a 9mm pistol can on a 5.56 AR just because it will screw on and the bullet will pass thru. Certain calibers have higher pressure and will damage a can not designed for it.

Barrel length - well this depends on the caliber.
    I know that my two 5.56 cans are louder on my 10.5 inch SBR then on my 16 inch rifle. Also on shorter barrels you will have to deal with the unburnt powder collecting in your first couple of baffles.
    But my Ruger rifle is louder then my Beretta pocket gun because the round goes supersonic in the rifle and the barrel is too short on the pistol to do that.
    This is also why my integral suppressed Ruger MKIII pistol has a 3 inch barrel. I can shoot ANY 22 lr ammo and its subsonic.

This is very common. This is why I clean my cans (especially pistol) after every range trip.
    High power rifle such as 5.56 are self cleaning for the most part except when you are shooting lead.

Paperwork -
    Well it depends.
    If you are buying it from a individual in another state then you have to wait for them to transfer it to a dealer then it has to be transfered to you. So it can take a year or so.
    If you are buying it from a dealer in another state then they can transfer it to your local dealer (30 days mostly) and then they can transfer it to you (@6 months right now).
    I can build a suppressor and get it approved in under 45 days using a electronic form (efile) but this is to my trust.

I think I answered most of your questions

CHARLES

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    ... is a silencer regulated to a specific gun or just need the tax stamp and use it on any gun it will fit on?
    ... how is barrel length effected on the sound SUPPRESION?
    ... how long does the paperwork and final ownership legality's take?
    ... do most states allow silencers during hunting season?
    1. Form 1 or Form 4 stamps are specific to the silencer S/N & can be used to any firearms within manufacturers' ratings & owner (or trustee/s) should be present when in use.
    2. Minimum barrel lengths are dictated by manufacturers based on tested muzzle blasts & pressure. Sound reduction varies by suppression design & ammo (sub or supersonic).
    3. Form 1 can be e-filed & takes from 2 weeks to a month. Form 4 (paper only as of today) can take anywhere from 6 months to more than a year. Time frame also vary between individual & trust.
    4. State regs vary widely, refer to your local hunting guidelines which are usually available with purchase of hunting license.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    I was all set to start the paperwork and then decided to wait a while. I heard that Trump was thinking about restricting them. So I'll just wait awhile longer, especially after the latest shootings in TX and Ohio.
    IMHO you don't want one

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    It is not a federal regulation to have the stamp with the silencer. It is definately recommended to have a copy with you. The original should be in safe with your other important papers.
    Whatever dude. It is the law that you have proof you have got a Class 3 stamp, whether it's original or a copy. I didn't see in my response where I said it had to be the original?

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does...f-registration

If your at the range or in route or somewhere without your paperwork and you get asked for it then your gonna have a issue.
    I have a folder that I keep in my range bag.
    It has a copy of my trust and copies of all the Forms 1s and 4s.
    I don't take any chances and neither should you

Boolit Master

My 22LR has a 29" barrel and is very quiet without a silencer with standard velocity ammo. No need to spend $200.

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does...f-registration

If your at the range or in route or somewhere without your paperwork and you get asked for it then your gonna have a issue.
    I have a folder that I keep in my range bag.
    It has a copy of my trust and copies of all the Forms 1s and 4s.
    I don't take any chances and neither should you
    This is another post mentioning a "TRUST". Guess I do not know about this either. Is a Trust gonna be needed? And if so, what is the groundwork look like to obtain one?

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    My 22LR has a 29" barrel and is very quiet without a silencer with standard velocity ammo. No need to spend $200.
    John, when I get this itch scratched, I may feel the same. Just something that has rattled round for years, so think I will scratch that which itch's.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    This is another post mentioning a "TRUST". Guess I do not know about this either. Is a Trust gonna be needed? And if so, what is the groundwork look like to obtain one?
    I will try to explain.
    Trusts use to be the way to go.
    Didn’t require LEO sign off.
    No background checks
    Much faster approval.
    Allowed more then one person to possess a nfa item. Essentially anyone that was a trustee could possess any item the trust owned.

It changed.
    Now anyone that is a ‘responsible’ person (ie trustee) has to provide fingerprints and get a background check.
    You have to notify local LEO but they don’t have to sign off.
    However, because the trust is a legal document that can be changed at any time, you can do one that only has you has the responsible person so only you have to provide fingerprints and get a background check.
    You can then add anyone to the trust without going thru that hassle.

There are people that make amendments to their trusts that remove everyone except one person each time they file paperwork. Then once the paperwork is approved they amend it again and add them back.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Thanks ... I think LOL