RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling the need for jerky... Marinade recipe needed

Boolit Grand Master

Feeling the need for jerky... Marinade recipe needed

Pulled out my dehydrators and realized I hadn't made any Beef Jerky in a while .
    I have a typical generic teriyaki marinade that I been using for a couple years
    and I'm looking for something different .
    This one I been using is :
    2/3 cup each , soy sauce & Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup Honey
    3 teaspoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
    Brown Sugar to taste ( I like a somewhat sweet taste )

A good recipe but I'm wanting to try something else . I like sorta sweet tasting and do not care for extreme Habanero Hot stuff...crushed red pepper and jalapeno are more to my taste .

So guys, post me up some of your favorite jerky marinade recipes that work for you !
    Thanks ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I dont like worchester sauce, so all my marinades are without that
    I use soy sauce, vinegar(balsamic), lime juice, Rum as the wet portion of the mix
    then use (basically) a dry rub for the dry ingredients
    black pepper, red pepper
    onion powder, garlic powder
    paprika, mustard powder,
    brown sugar,

I dont write down quantities, I mix it up to taste until the marinade has a good 'zing' to it.
    let it marinate overnite
    It should be hotter than you expect the final result, it does lose some of the zing in the drying process

Rum, balsamic, mustard are 3 things that add a good and different zing to it

Boolit Buddy
    SWEET and SPICY

1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1.5 tsp Morton® Tender Quick® per lbs of meat.
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Honey Barbecue

For 4lbs.

2 tsp coarse grind black pepper
    2 tsp chili powder
    2 tsp garlic powder
    ½ tbsp onion powder
    ½ cup Apple juice
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup Soy Sauce
    ¼ cup burgundy
    1.5 tsp Morton® Tender Quick® per pound of meat.
    ¼ c. Honey
    1 cup Barbecue sauce

Pepper Jerky

For 1-1.5lbs.

1 Tbl. Worcestershire
    ¼ cup Soy Sauce
    3 Tbl. Captain Morgan
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 Tbl coarse grind black pepper
    1.5 tsp Morton® Tender Quick® per pound of meat.

Moderator Emeritus

For a change of pace I do a traditional jerky, salt, pepper, curing salt... mix enough for the weight of beef after trimming, sprinkle over meat evenly as possible. Then I vac bag and into the fridge for 2 days. I like salt so I go heavy on it. Shake off any excess clumps of rub then into the smoker. For the dehydrator in winter I add a little liquid smoke then vac bag it. The vac bag speeds up the cure time a lot! For sweet add a little dried brown sugar(spread on a piece of baking parchment on a sheet tray and into a low over to dry it out, use a coffee grinder to break it up). Mix well with the rest. This lets the beef flavor shine through!

What Mary B says (Then I vac bag and into the fridge for 2 days.) Very important. When you add salt to meat, it begins to drive the moisture out with nutrients at first, but if it is vacuumed or placed in a covered bowl, after 24 hours the moisture is back in the meat with little or no liquid in the bowl or bag. As it is smoked, the nutrition stays with the meat. This in the Sports Afield magazine circa 1959.

Boolit Grand Master

Suggestion guys - and I do this with my pork rub. Add a couple tablespoons of ground coffee to the mix. It provides a unique flavor.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for all the jerky recipe's and tips , I'm printing them all out for future reference and use .
    Not only do we have the best cast boolit site ... we also have the best recipe / cooking and gardening site .
    Appreciate it all ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    mine looks similar except I also have 1tsp each of Italian seasoning, chili powder, red wine vinegar

Boolit Bub
    Got a freezer full of elk, so I plan on making use of some of it for jerky. Did a "simple" soy/worchester/A1/pepper marinate, but didn't let it sit for long; maybe a couple hours. Taste was good, but I think I want a bit less soy flavor. Researching the interwebz shows an interesting combo of soy/worchester/black pepper/garlic powder/onion powder/paprika. I ordered some Morton's tender quick to add this time for curing. The paprika is supposed to add a bit of smokey flavor, but I have no idea. Balsamic vinegar sounds interesting. The lime juice and/or vinegar, is that used to tenderize the meat?

Boolit Master
    I just wet/brine cure with either Morton's tender quick, or the amish cure ingredient salts. Then sprinkle with one of the many Mrs. Dash blends before dehydrating. The hot is really good. You can add extra cayenne pepper to it too.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Bub
    Mrs Dash, interesting. I raided the spice cabinet, and found a few different meat spice rubs. I assumed everything should go in the bag with the wet ingredients, then let to sit (this time overnight) in the fridge, remove, pat dry, dehydrate on racks. I use our oven; it has a dehydrate feature.

I'm pretty new to making my own jerky, so I think I should practice the spice combo on store bought meat first, then the elk.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you talking ground or sliced

Boolit Bub
    I've done sliced, but recently purchased a stick gun to try.

I too don't use specific quantities, just mix to taste. Many of my marinade flavors use pineapple juice. The juice adds a hint of sweet and the acid in it helps tenderize the meat a little bit. I always marinate beef and venison for a good 12 hours, turning it a couple times. I don't have an electric cutter and have to cut it manually. To ensure cuts are uniform, I slice the meat while it is still partially frozen. Uniform sizes of meat help ensure that you don't end up with pieces that are over or under done. Cheers.

Moderator Emeritus

Salt, pepper, cure... all the rest hides the concentrated meat flavor you get with jerky! If I am not putting it on the smoker I will use a little liquid smoke...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just use the commercial stuff at Farm and Fleet and it turns out awesome. I went to a consignment store over Thanksgiving and they had five boxes of every flavor on the shelf unopened. There was some type of promotion going that day that they were handing out coupons...for $5! I ended up getting all five boxes for free. That’ll last me a long,long time. I saw some at the store the other day I think it was 799 a box, it works really good. I throw the jerky in my little totem smoker till it feels done...or overdone. I then remove all my jerky, pile it in a ziplock bag when it’s still warm, and put it in my fridge for a day or two letting it sweat in the lip lock bag and making some of the smaller, overly dried out pieces pliable and chewy.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just got done cutting up both shoulders on one of my deer and ended up with 2 lbs. 1 oz. of some nice jerky strips. I’ll have to figure out which marinade I’m going to use and pull out my little chief smoker and get ready for business! I normally just cut up one of my back straps and make beef jerky out of them. I didn’t want to waste good quality meat this year so it took me almost 4 hours to carve out 2 pounds of jerky strips and probably 2 pounds worth of trimmings to make burger out of. I would assume most people aren’t as picky as I am when I cut my jerky pieces up. I always make them nice and long but these are short because I didn’t use back straps this time.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-17-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I tried a combo of 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup worchester, a little powdered onion, paprika, black pepper, powdered garlic. Let it sit overnight in fridge. I added a little watch to stretch it, and that may have been a mistake. Flavor was meh. Threw in some cracked red pepper on the already dehydrated meat, and the flavors seemed to come out a bit better. Reading through the ingredients on many of the meat spice bottles revealed that my ingredients were close. Going to try adjusting the recipe. Someone told me to add lime juice.

Maybe grind the trimmings and make meat sticks?

Boolit Master

I use Dale's Steak Marinade and cracked red pepper. Added a little sugar this last time. Might add more next time.

Boolit Master
    we use a dry hickory blend marinade from waltons and add a little maple syrup and curing salt to it then refrigerate for 24 hours,we use bottom round or venison roast sliced 3/16 thick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast