WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 1952 336SC Marlin waffletop 30-30

Boolit Buddy

1952 336SC Marlin waffletop 30-30

Just picked up the gun knowing BUBBA d+t'd it .Unfortunately crooked and spaced for a base I can't ID.May either have it welded /cleaned up and heat treated or attach two blank gunsmith steel Pictany pieces to cover the mess and hunt it . Then dipstick painted the stock with what looks like auto primer.Hopefully he doesn't reproduce and pass along his skills.

Boolit Buddy

So are you angry about it because you didn't realize it, or are you glad you got a good deal on it?
    i'll buy a project gun for a low cost, but certain things are across the "don't buy" line.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    My 1949 336A was D&T'd, the holes were done right for a Weaver base. The idiot left the bolt in the rifle, made dimples when it came through. The rifle had a lot of closet wear but was very nice mechanically and looked to have been fired very little. It didn't bother me in the least as it's a shooter and a good one.

Boolit Buddy
    Just disappointed he was purposely vague and dishonest.Holes looked like a termite on acid was using a hand drill.Not even close to being inline so he did 5 to make sure.Stripped off the two coats of paint and the butt is grey laminate while the forend is a plain hardwood turned out to be black walnut.Will be tough to flip this and recoup the cost.A smith here had a fine Holland + Holland shotgun come in the guy had been given it by a farmer painted canary yellow wood and metal to prevent rust while left in the barn.That one went back to England to be refurbed @ H+H
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 08-09-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Banned

I'm not a collector of them, but have a soft spot for the old waddle tops. A few years ago, walked into a pawn shop and out with an old .32 Special waffle top in pretty sad condition, though not as bad as what you describe.

Someone had D&T'd it, but did a reasonably decent job and a Weaver base bolted right up. The worst thing was they had cut off the nice original walnut stock, presumably for a kid and stobbed a cheap recoil pad on it (kid must have been like three years old, too short even for a 12 year old). I had to find another stock, pulled the whole things down and scrubbed and polished, but she turned out to be a pretty good cast shooter and I deer hunted successfully with it the next year.
    Last edited by richhodg66; 08-04-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Someone had D7T'D it. now that is funny

Banned

Looks like I didn't hit the shift button, fixed now.

Boolit Buddy

Pioneer, I understand your frustration now. After first post I didn't know seller was dishonest about it.
    Would like to see pics of your progress. Good luck.

Custom drill a Weaver base to fit the custom drilled receiver, JB weld it on for good measure and try to forget about it. Get the base that is channeled so you can use the irons. It’s “shooter grade” so shoot it!

Banned
    Skinner makes a dandy combo rail/peep.

Sounds like a great canvas for a project.

Boolit Buddy
    Looked into hydro-dipping the stock and forend so they match but too cost prohibitive $180.Either I can change out the butt stock to plain wood or find a grey laminate forend? Marlin has one that fits the 336XLR ,336SDT and 336SDG no mention of the 336 family or SC Item# F406113 A 4.5-5" full length picatinny rail would hide BUBBA'S exploratory drilling and yet leave the irons visible if wanted.
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 08-09-2019 at 01:52 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Looked into hydro-dipping the stock and forend so they match but too cost prohibitive.Either I can change out the butt stock to plain wood or find a grey laminate forend? Marlin has one that fits the 336XLR ,336SDT and 336SDG no mention of the 336 family or SC Item# F406113 A 4.5-5" full length picatinny rail would hide BUBBA'S exploratory drilling and yet leave the irons visible if wanted.
    https://youtu.be/74If0p9ePcA

Boolit Buddy
    Perhaps the two piece bases can be custom ordered with the holes the correct distance apart so I can use the back two holes and order a 2" long blank to hide the other mess .Provided they ship to Canada.The plain Picatinny is too long [7"]so it would have to be shortened or ordered short so the rear sight remains.The top base surface area on a waffletop is 4.5" with no overhang fore and aft.Have a grey /black laminate forend coming from Marlin on the 14th hope it fits.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a 1951 (my birthday) Waffle top 336 in 30-30 the other day at the local Fun show. Has the longer barrel with the shorter mag. A classic. NOT D&T'd!! I did have to mount a Lyman on the side to accommodate my old eyes.

Boolit Buddy
    From what I've read 336 waffletops were only made from 1948-1952 so lucky you it wasn't defaced.

Boolit Buddy
    Talked to the nice folks at Skinner this am and they are willing to make me custom 2 piece bases and ship to Canada.