Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: New to me 310 tool.

Boolit Mold

New to me 310 tool.

Alright friends, stopped by my favorite pawn shop, they do my transfers when I buy a gun off the intertubes, and they had what appeared to be a complete 310 setup with 4 dies and aluminum handle.
    Gave $30. I have to say I didn't know much about the 310 set up, still don't but I'm reading.
    The box said 222 which I thought, kool I can do 223 on it.
    Well turns out that the handle and dies are for 44sp\44mag.
    Kind of a bummer because I don't load much 44 mag. (I likes my no carpril tunnel)
    This set looks very lightly used and complete. God bless the 3n1 oil using old timer that had these So knarly looking that nobody wanted them and prevented rust.
    So my question is how did I do on the price?
    And is a die set easy to find in say, 45 colt?
    I have a butchered up nasty tool only in the shed somewhere that I need to look at since reading some about the 310.

Boolit Master

there is a 310 swap thread on here, might do a search and see what you find.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Trades are probably your best bet
    Last edited by square butte; 08-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah I'd prolly trade any caliber complete set for the like shape 44 set up. I am thinking 45 clot would be the one to have. I've an idea to make a special boxed thing for my uncle as he is retiring. He gave me one of those high nosed twin mini wine bottle wooden box things.
    But as stingy as I can be with reloading stuff, I'll probably just keep it.
    The guy would never use it.
    But I could see ME squeezing out some 45 clot ammo at the camp site.
    I do about every caliper but a classic like the 45 clot seems to be a better fit.
    I did see a few places that those die sets were still for sale.
    Just don't know if risking the ccard with the one I'm thinking of us worth it again.

Boolit Grand Master

There are two types of 310 handles - one with a long 'nose' - the piece the die screws in - for rifles and long cases and one with a short nose for pistol cases. Otherwise it is changing dies. You did better than you thought.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Meistermash,

You are actually in pretty good shape for getting to where you want to go. The 222/223 dies can usually be used with the "Small" (short spigot) handles, and the 222 die sets are very common and can be used with the 223 as well (since the neck size only.) As for your 44 Mag/Spl dies, they too are pretty common, but are popular and should be pretty good trade material. The 45 Colt dies are a little less common, but only a little, and should be easy to find here or on e-Bay. I got a set from friend Brass Magnet when I got my Uberti SAA copy.

Overall, you got as far as you did for about the value of a used set of handles, so if you want to expand out into loading various calibers with the 310 tool, you're off to a good start, and if you can trade your dies for either set you mention, you are that far ahead.

Regards,
    Froggie

PS As I have said a couple of times lately, I can't get down to the shop for a week or two due to knee replacement, but when I can do so, I might even be able to cobble together a spare set of 222 dies, but the 45 Colt not so likely.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Aww heck I'm not here to soak up the generosity of you longer time members. Just bought a neat tool and had to ask about. Not sure if I'll even use it too much. I have two manwell presses and an old ammo master run out special rcbs. I just like neat stuff and the Lyman 310 tool is neat. And for the money, well I've wasted way more on dumber things frankly. Midway has a set of 45 dies but there again, I think they are a hackers big target and end up getting a new card every other time I buy from them. Maybe they have block parts kit to go with that die set and I can risk it.

Boolit Mold
    Well, I bought the midway dies.
    Rip ccard.
    Those 45 clot dies are on sale.

222 dies seem to be fairly common, if you'd like to load 223 a full set and a #3 adapter can be had fairly reasonably. I've had several sets of 222 come to me in other caliber boxes, the most recent being a set in a 44 special box. You'll enjoy loading 45 colt on a 310 tool, it kinda seem natural.
    Last edited by firebyprolong; 08-05-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Apparently reading comprehension is not a strong suit for me this evening.

Boolit Mold
    Well dummy me.
    Been reloading for better than 30 years.
    So what's the first thing I do after getting my new dies?
    I put the size die in and scrunch in a dry case.
    Now ima have to concoct a case remover for this set up.
    Been trying to get the de capping pin to unscrew so I can drill the case.

You must have really stuck that one, I've never stuck one in a MR hard enough that just unscrewing the die against the case adaptator wouldn't free.

Boolit Mold
    Well that's what I did to remove it.
    Put the die in a padded vice then unscrewed it.
    Damaged the insert thing a bit so I had to put it in the lathe and clean it up with my dremel.
    But the case is out now.
    Now to not do that again.

Boolit Grand Master
    MM, it may not be obvious, but I’m guessing the interior of that die is probably scuffed up a little now with what it’s been through. I would suggest polishing it up a little before using it again, just to be safe.

Also, I would double check the die... if it has “FL” on it, you have a full length sizing die from a TruLine Jr set. These FL sizing dies were only available in straight side pistol calibers but over the years they’ve gotten mixed in with the regular muzzle resizers. Those 310 handles don’t really have enough leverage to do FL sizing. Forgive me if I’m preaching to the choir but a lot of basic info about this family of dies has been lost over the years.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Nope that's kool.
    I did scuff up the insert removing the case. It must be soft. The die was brandy new.