Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Remington 22 recall

Boolit Buddy

Remington 22 recall

At the range yesterday shooting 22 pistols. A friend of mine had several split rims. One was bad enough to blacken his hand. Numerous others showed signs of case failure. The ammo was new bought ammo. Anyone else have this happen to them.

Boolit Master
    I haven't heard of anything-- but haven't tried Rem ammo lately. Out of curiosity, did he examine the firearm? Brass alone will not hold the pressure of the firing--the case has to be completely in the chamber when it is fired. Could it be that the brass is not adequately supported by the firearm? If semi-auto, could it be extracting too soon or not chambering fully?
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Busetti View Post
    At the range yesterday shooting 22 pistols. A friend of mine had several split rims. One was bad enough to blacken his hand. Numerous others showed signs of case failure. The ammo was new bought ammo. Anyone else have this happen to them.
    What ammo was it ?

In Remembrance

Probably was in the 1980`s when I last used ANY Remington rimfire ammo!Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger worked fine with my ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Remington Golden 22 lr.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Busetti View Post
    Remington Golden 22 lr.
    I was expectng it to be yellow jackets or whatever they call the hyper velocity round.
    I have had cci stingers blow case heads in a couple of small 22 autos both LLamas and the Bersa thunderer I have now the stinger case heads swell a lot. But never seen that with Golden bullets , but normally shoot CCI and Federal.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    My friend contacted Remington about the ammo. They told him there is in deed a recall of a certain lot of their ammo & requested he return the ammo for replacement.

Boolit Master
    That was an interesting thread I did not realize 22s blew case heads so often.
    I used to shoot 20 to 25000 a year mostly in a mod 17 smith and only remember the 2 stingers blowing , I always assumed it was the LLamas I couldn't not buy the 1911 looking 22s but they did not shoot near as well as some other small 22 imports I have had.

Boolit Master
    I shot this Remington 22 in 2013 and I don't know how long I had the box before I shot them.

Last edited by TCFAN; 08-09-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    That looks like it fired out of battery.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - hope you were wearing yer SAFETY GLASSES (Goggles?) Something is REALLY wrong here! !!!
    (Wot is a "2013"? semiauto rifle? Should no, but don't. Am sure everybody ELSE nos. THANX!)

Boolit Master
    My mistake. It should say year 2013

Boolit Master

I used to swear by the golden bullets. The last 2 bricks i bought i been getting a lot of under powdered rounds. Even had some squibs. The thunderbolts put them to shame lately. The thunderbolts i use when i have guest shooters who can't afford ammo. I changed to winchesters 555 for bulk ammo. So far it's been good.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

It happens to me, especially if the firearm is dirty which can prevent the round to go into battery properly. I have a few WIN cases like this that I saved. Hasn't happened with REM, yet...

Boolit Grand Master

The case depicted fired before the bolt was closed as evidenced by the crumpled condition of the case forward of the rim. That was not the fault of the ammo but a slip of the disconnector on the gun. I saw a lot of that with a Callico one time.

Boolit Master
    KCSO The rifle that fired that case has never fired out of battery in thousands of rounds except with that one box of Remington ammo..That one box of ammo must have been defective in some way.At this late date I don't remember how many rounds ruptured in that way but it was more than that the one in the photo.

Boolit Master
    I just found the old thread where I posted about this fired case.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...appened-to-you