Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC experience. Think I知 going back to Hi Tek - Pics inside

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Not everybody likes Glocks, but they're a solid platform: reliable, shoot well, are easy to upgrade, and don't break the bank. Gen 3 34's are what I use for USPSA shooting.

Back on topic (sorta...), HiTek is the way I go. I'm getting the hang of fairly high volume production in casting and coating. I never did PC: I might be doing the process an injustice, but HiTek seemed easier, and I was familiar with the product from buying commercially coated cast bullets from Bayou.

I'm out of town for a few weeks, but I'll see you at RRGC sometime. Good luck with which ever coating you settle on!
    Kevin you made a statement, "Hitek is the way to go". I am not disagreeing nor agreeing with your statement, but I continue to see the same statement posted from others. But what I don't see is any facts or even a narrative to back this up. A few years ago I posted "Why powder Coat?" on this forum that outlined numerous reasons to give the PC process a try for those that might be considering the process.

So I am posting a challenge to all those that do HiTek to do the same and that is simply outline the attributes of the process and tell why "HiTek is the way to go", especially compared to PC as it is the main contender. It is not my intention to start a war, but I would like to see factual information on the subject posted for those like myself that may wish to give it a try.

BTW: I used a G-34 for a while also, definitely the most popular choice, but I have never liked the grip.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Not everybody likes Glocks, but they're a solid platform: reliable, shoot well, are easy to upgrade, and don't break the bank. Gen 3 34's are what I use for USPSA shooting.

Back on topic (sorta...), HiTek is the way I go. I'm getting the hang of fairly high volume production in casting and coating. I never did PC: I might be doing the process an injustice, but HiTek seemed easier, and I was familiar with the product from buying commercially coated cast bullets from Bayou.

I'm out of town for a few weeks, but I'll see you at RRGC sometime. Good luck with which ever coating you settle on!
    I too shoot G34 in IDPA SSP until I got a nice DIY apex trigger job on my M&P.
    Anyways, I use an aftermarket barrel on my glock for FMJs or CBs not because of Glock's caviat but to avoid the dreaded bulge.
    BTW, I use shake & bake PC on my CBs
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master
    "I might just need to sort through some variables with the PC."

I bet that is the case. Too many users are having good results so the process works. Just need to understand what is going on.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Dragonheart, please read my last post just a bit more closely: I said that HiTek is the way I go, by which I meant that was what I decided for myself only. I would not presume to decide for anybody else and meant only to offer one person's perspective and another option. No offense or snub to PC intended. Sorry if you saw it as such. Perhaps if I had said "HiTek is another way to go", it would have been clearer.

If you want know how I ended up using HiTek on my boolits, I went through this line of thinking:

First, I shoot action pistol so I want rounds that don't smoke. Nor do I care for sticky or waxy rounds. Traditional and tumble lubing I decided against for those reasons, leaving PC and HiTek as the main options for my home cast slugs.

Second, I shoot thousands of rounds a month. A coating process conducive to high volume production is what I need. What I scanned through on various on line resources, including my first forays on this forum, led me to conclude that having to stand up and separate individual bullets to spray and or bake PC was going to be too slow for what I needed. At the time I started out I had not heard of tumble coating and then baking PC coated boolits laying haphazardly on a wire tray; my impression was that only HiTek could be done that way.

Third, I shoot pistol at targets with maximum scoring surfaces of six by eleven inches at ranges from point blank to thirty yards, so the MOA accuracy needed and possible with PC in rifle rounds at rifle velocities that with HiTek is difficult or not possible to achieve is not material to me.

Fourth, the commercial cast I used before I started casting my own were HiTek coated. I was using it already on the commercial cast bullets I bought from Donnie Miculek and it worked well for me, so I saw no compelling reason to change to or experiment with a different coating system.

Fifth, a popular YouTube shooting and casting pundit who I discovered was just parroting other, more bona fide experts claimed that PC was the ultimate in coating technologies, and that HiTek didn't work. Nothing annoys me more than somebody who claims expertise and passes judgment on something they don't know anything about, so it just pushed me more into trying it to see if I could do the process myself, after finding the coating worked with the commercial bullets I used.

Do any of these things show HiTek to be better than PC? Of course not. But as I found that it works for my purposes, I haven't seen the need to change, and here on this forum I will say that I like it and that it works for me. Maybe if I'd started with PC I'd still be saying that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Please excuse me but there are no variables in Hi Tek procedure at all,it's completely repeatable time after time.

Where I live,acetone in small amounts costs €7/liter. Used per instructions,that liter coats 20.662 pcs of my 210 grain 45 APC bullets TWICE,ready to shoot.
    Actually there are variables. HT needs to dry between application & baking. The mixture itself is subject to variables.
    I like both, find HT easier in some ways, like I don't need to stand them up for best finish. Yet you have to coat & bake twice & good coverage can be harder to achieve. So time wise a push IMO.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Kevin, in no way did I find your post offensive and my point was no way intended to offend, but to have those that do HiTek explain the pluses & minuses they see in the process, just as you did.
    BTW: I shot IDPA weekly for years and back in 2012 the reason I got back into casting and into PC, when I had stores of powder & primers, but ran out of bullets. I absolutely agree that standing PC bullet to cook is the weak link of the process, but dropped undercured or bullets with bare spots or marks are not for me. I simply found ways to speed up the other aspects of the process to easily keep up with my needs.
    As far as accuracy, yes the 0 point is large, but if your 34 is shooting the average 25 yard 4"+ groups just think how many points lost could be gained if the groups size dropped by more than half. This is a Ransom rest 25 yard 1.4" group fired with my G-34 with standard barrel at 25 yards, not moa but pretty good for a Glock. It exceeds the power factor and was my standard load.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-34 Group.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	246680

Boolit Master
    That's a very nice group for a stock service pistol!

I shoot benched groups through my 34's at around 17 yards, as I understand the zero at that range matches that at 25 yards. I get about two inch groups, which is just a bit off the 4" you mentioned for a true 25 yards. That I can accept, given the size of my targets, since I'm shooting against the clock, and tend to spend too much time on the perfect sight picture as it is now.
    Last edited by kevin c; 08-14-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12