RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Barrel Stub / Switch Barrel

Boolit Buddy

Barrel Stub / Switch Barrel

Switch barrel barrel stubs can be made from the H&R, T/C Encore, Contender, CVA Apex and a few others.

Short and to the point - here is an H&R set up as a switch barrel, with the included barrel lock nut and pin. Either a pin or spanner wrench can be used to remove and or tighten the barrel lock nut, which takes minimal pressure to lock a barrel firmly in place. I have work to do, so I will let the pictures speak for themselves, and as always, if you have any questions, just ask!

Oh, before I forget, a switch barrel barrel stub can easily be set up for Savage pre-chambered barrels, which saves both time and money.

And yes, there is a cartridge size limit on doing these...

Very neat work! Watching this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    What is the advantage from making this modification vs. buying additional Handi-rifle barrels?

Boolit Master

I'll bet because they don't make cheap changeover barrels any more because the company is gone?

Geezer nailed it. I know of no current source for handi rifle barrels other than evilbay where they tend to sell for more than complete guns sell for elsewhere.

Common ones are not hard to find if you are dillegent. .30-30, 06, .270's and .243's. Most of which hold little or no interest to me.
    .30-30 yes, it is the perfect cast boolit case, rimmed, long neck, easy to work with.

Rare ones like .45 colt, 7.62x39 and any of the 7x or 8x calibers are too rich for my blood.

On the other hand I opened my mouth on GBO, said I was looking for a good .44 mag complete gun that shot well.
    Had 2 offers in 2 hours in the 200$ price range, so I bought em both. Put a Red Dot on one and a 1.5x5 variable on the other.

I have considered buying a .22hornet, but I have a .223rem which will do the same thing with free range pickup brass.

The only one that would pry dollars out of my wallet at this point would be a nice rifle chambered for .32sw long, .32H&R mag or .327mag. 327 starts getting to be a pretty long jump to the rifling though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PTCSmith View Post
    What is the advantage from making this modification vs. buying additional Handi-rifle barrels?
    By going the barrel stub route, there are well over 100 different chamberings available for the H&R.

To save money, most any pre-chambered barrel (depending on cartridge/caliber) can be used.

Carteidges like the 327 Federal, 450 Bushmaster, 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 250 Savage, 30-30, 7X30 Waters, 6.5X55, 7X57 and a whole slew of other cartridges can be put on one of these barrel stubs.

Send in a barrel to be stubbed and 3 pre-chambered Savage barrels to be fitted to one barrel stub, and you have less than $500 tied up in 3 custom barrels for your H&R - at least as far as the barrel machining and threading goes.

Barrel stubs are just another way to get a custom barrel for your H&R.

Boolit Master

I have always made new lugs and extractors for new barrels. Want to switch barrels, just remove the fore arm and switch. Started off making inline muzzle loaders out of H&R shotguns about 40 years back. Idaho changed the law on muzzle loading hunting and I had to quit building them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have turned several hundred of the H&R 45/70 rifles into muzzle loaders, and they did quote well.

I have several dozen barrel lugs for the H&R's, but prefer to build barrels by stubbing, as I feel it produces a more consistently accurate barrel.

Great idea where can I get one lol.