RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 311241 125g

Boolit Master

311241 125g

I tripped over a great deal and grabbed an Ideal 311241 (sometimes called a 308241) 125g DC plain base mould. I was really after the handles but found out it was a good plinker for 30-30 and 30-06, both of which I happen to have. I did a search here but not much came up on the 125g version. Most of the discussions are about the larger 150g.

I dug back in the old Ideal manuals online and finally found some load data in the #40 1955 version mainly with 2400 and 4227 and Unique for the 30-30.

Two questions, first off are the 3 powders I listed pretty much it or is there some other good powders/loads for 125g cast bullets for both calibers

Second my 30-30 is a Marlin with the micro groove barrel, anything particular I need to watch out for with a plain based bullet. I plan to cast with a 10:1 or so made up of range scrap/pewter.

Boolit Grand Master
    There may be others, but you will find little in a 30-30 that will outshoot 16 grains of 2400 or 7.5-8.0 grains of Unique.

I had a single cavity 308-241 and foolishly lent it to a friend who subsequently died. His son let me look through his reloading stuff after he passed on, but it didn't turn up.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

USMC 77, USRA 79

well, with no gas check, be careful you dont push it too hard... if you wanna exceede 1800 or so, think about some plane based gas checks.. i have that mould and love it...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I have used the Lyman plain base 130 for winter varminting and target in my Mossberg 30/30 and it shot extremely well. Coyotes hated the little pill and it would keep the gong ringing at 200 yards. Velocities in my rifle had to be kept below 1350 or leading would begin. The rifle liked Unique, Trail Boss, or Red Dot.

Boolit Master
    I knew about that mold but never saw one in the flesh. My 311241 is the 155 and I've been using it for an even 50 years now. I'm partial to Red Dot and Bullseye for plinking loads with its bullets, in just about every .30 cartridge under the sun at one time or another.