Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon XL650 is no more......

Boolit Grand Master

Dillon XL650 is no more......

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl75...8_1_26745.html

Dillon has announced the XL750, the successor to the 650. Haven’t had long to study itnup but wanted to share with my brethren here. Looks like a good enough reason to look at a new one, right?!

Boolit Master
    Wrong, I have 2 of the 550s and see no reason to get a new one. I still do my load work ups on my RCBS rock chucker. If you shoot enough to warrant the 750 I envy you.
    jim

Boolit Master

Well, I hope that they still will continue to support all of us that own 650’s!

I am sure Dillon will. They truly have a NO BS warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offer an upgrade path for the 650 owners.
    I have been using my 550 for many, many years and really don't see any reason to change. In fact, it started life as a 450 and went up from there with upgrades. My customer number is a VERY low 4 digit number...that's how long I have been a Dillon customer.
    I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds with it, and other than small parts breaking never had a problem. I keep spare parts on hand after learning what can break.
    Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    Well, I hope that they still will continue to support all of us that own 650’s!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

I got the memo from Dillon.
    No doubt it will be real nice
    550 guy myself

Banned
    You can have my 550 when you pry it from my cold dead hands.....

Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-02-2019 at 09:12 AM.

I have a sl 900 shot shell reloader that thing looks a lot like it. Hope I can convert my 900 to 750!
    Last edited by super6; 08-01-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I am sure Dillon will. They truly have a NO BS warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offer an upgrade path for the 650 owners.
    I have been using my 550 for many, many years and really don't see any reason to change. In fact, it started life as a 450 and went up from there with upgrades. My customer number is a VERY low 4 digit number...that's how long I have been a Dillon customer.
    I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds with it, and other than small parts breaking never had a problem. I keep spare parts on hand after learning what can break.
    their no bs warranty does not cover the 1050 because they consider it a commercial unit.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I've use a SDB and a 650. I see no reason to change.

Boolit Master
    ive had a love affair with a 550 for a couple years now after leaving an SDB for her. The 750 looks nice, but unless the caliber changes got cheaper/easier, I will continue to love the 550.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    ive had a love affair with a 550 for a couple years now after leaving an SDB for her. The 750 looks nice, but unless the caliber changes got cheaper/easier, I will continue to love the 550.

You sure are lucky a Dillon is like a gun!

You can trade a 44 in on two 22s and not get in any trouble.

Boolit Master
    One thing worth noting, I bought a new case collator today, got the old one (high/low speed switch) rather than the new one (rheostat) and was happy to have it. Price was $214, price for the new is $260.

Boolit Master

FYI. The XL750 uses the slide type priming system like the RL550 uses. The rotary primer system is no more. Also, the frame is slightly taller, so it can handle a few more longer calibers. The conversion kits are the same as the XL650. A few other minor improvements.

Personally, I like the RL550 primer system. I never cared for the rotary system. A great many have the opposite opinion.

Boolit Master

It looks like the only major change is a slide type primer feed. Not sure if that's good or bad. I can see some advantages and some disadvantages. It should eliminate the ski ramp annoyances but I find the 650's rotary system to be more reliable than the 550's slide. I've never had any issues with the two speed case feeder so the variable speed one is not terribly exciting. The only problem I've had with the case feeder is wearing out the long arm on the microswitch which was replaced at no charge.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned

Why are improvements met with criticism by people that have an older model or no money?? I wish I had the extra money. sure look nicer then my two lnls which are about reloading room decorations anymore for all I use them. Ones set up to size progressively size 223 and the other 300 bo. I size and deprime them and then trim tumble and finish them on a 550. Even that's a headache with the crappy case feeder system.

Boolit Master

Lloyd,

First, let me say that I consider you one of the site’s treasures. Your posts are always worth my time to read. To answer your question, the “improvements” of the 750 seem dubious at best to many of us from the posts I’ve seen so far. The priming system “appears” to be a step in the wrong direction. Lots more money for questionable improvements. I’ve been fortunate enough to have pretty much whatever I want in my reloading room. The 750 doesn’t yank my chain. The variable speed case feeder is a solution to a nonexistent problem. I have NEVER been able to outrun the old case feeder and I load .40 S&W at 900/hour.

I also still use my single stage presses a lot so I’m definitely not a big “latest and greatest” fan. I always teach new loaders on the Rock Chucker.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd I have three 650's, two 1050's and RL1000. I love the 1050 except for the priming system. It's OK but it's not a reliable as the 650's priming system. So called improvements may or may not be an improvement. As to the 750 without looking at it I am not going to say Dillon has not upgrade that type of primer system also. If they did great but it's still going to have to equal or surpass the 650's reliability. With my 1050's I have never had an issue other than priming system related. With the 650's I have had various minor issues with the press but never any issues with the primer system.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have a 1050,650 and 550. I hate the 650 with a passion . The indexing and priming suck. I bought a Dillon square deal around 1992. I used it a week and sent it back for a 550. The Square deal was fine just not what I wanted. If the 650 had been my first Dillon it would have been my last

The 650 is tore down sitting in a corner for now

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Lloyd,

First, let me say that I consider you one of the site’s treasures. Your posts are always worth my time to read. To answer your question, the “improvements” of the 750 seem dubious at best to many of us from the posts I’ve seen so far. The priming system “appears” to be a step in the wrong direction. Lots more money for questionable improvements. I’ve been fortunate enough to have pretty much whatever I want in my reloading room. The 750 doesn’t yank my chain. The variable speed case feeder is a solution to a nonexistent problem. I have NEVER been able to outrun the old case feeder and I load .40 S&W at 900/hour.

I also still use my single stage presses a lot so I’m definitely not a big “latest and greatest” fan. I always teach new loaders on the Rock Chucker.
    The variable case feeder was designed to fix a problem that most people don't have. I have a Dillon 1050 on a Mark VII auto drive. Turn that thing up and I am processing brass at 1800 cases per hour. The case feeder can't keep up. So Dillon fixed that because there are tons of people with the auto drives now. So it does help some people. Now when I am loading I am not going that fast. So the new case feeder isn't needed there.

I have never owned a 650. Came close to buying one a few times, but ended up finding better deals on used 1050's. So I went that route.

Boolit Master
    The priming system on the 650 is 50% of it's problem. I like the priming system of the 550 much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast