Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adios Dillon 650. Hello Dillon 750

Adios Dillon 650. Hello Dillon 750

Looks like Dillon just discontinued the 650, and now has a 750. Not much info have I seen on the differences, except the 750 has a different priming system, and comes with a roller shellplate indexer that it should have had to start with, that I put on mine aftermarket. And the new adjustable speed case feeder. Tool heads look the same.

Step backwards, the 650 has the most reliable primer feeding system out of any progressive, putting the 550 priming system on one will just make it less reliable.

Putting the 650 system on the 1050 would have been a better use of their engineers time.
    Last edited by jmorris; 08-01-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd question an "adios" for the SB, 550 series, as well as 650 series. To my way of thinking, it's too expensive for a new-be, with one Dillon pictured @ $1,318.00 -- and persons like me may very well have tooooo much divested in -- in my case -- a 550b and ten caliber conversions.
    Dillon's page URL for this is https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl75...8_1_26745.html , and I'm surely NOT going to "dis" it.
    I don't think the 750 will cause any tremblings in the ground where Mike is interred....
    BEST!
    geoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Dillon 750.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	246117

Not saying I'm trading my 650 in, far from it. It already has the most reliable priming system I've ever had on a press. Might ought to buy a spare or two just to have on hand in case they start getting scarce.

Boolit Master
    Ya got yhe introduction email earlier this evening. Don't see much difference really. I don't think I want the 550 style priming system. Ive already upgraded the snot out of my 650 and it works very well. They might have drawn me in with some landmark differences but I cant see enough to justify it. If anything I'll get a Mark 7 Evolution.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    I agree my upgraded xl650 runs great and no need for the 750.

Boolit Master
    How much more reliable can priming get over the 550? I have never had a problem or thot it cumbersome on the 550. How is the 650 better? Not being smart or sarcastic, really asking about the 650 system. I have no experience with the 650.

There is no plastic orifice tip on the 650, that’s the Achilles heal of the SD, 550 and 1050 priming systems.

The complaint you hear about the 650 is that it always feeds primers, not a bad thing if you have ever dealt with primer feed issues on others.

For set up it’s better to not fill the primer tube until you are ready to load but some don’t. All Dillon needed to do was add this feature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Step backwards, the 650 has the most reliable primer feeding system out of any progressive, putting the 550 priming system on one will just make it less reliable.

Putting the 650 system on the 1050 would have been a better use of their engineers time.
    I absolutely agree with this post. The 650 priming system was far superior than the 550's. Dillon, really? You cheapen up a good design rename it in the hopes of generating more sales? Its going to bite them in the butt. A step backwards for sure. I guess you have to listen to the bean counters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    How much more reliable can priming get over the 550? I have never had a problem or thot it cumbersome on the 550. How is the 650 better? Not being smart or sarcastic, really asking about the 650 system. I have no experience with the 650.
    Spend 1/2 hr on a 650 and you will understand. I started with a square deal and then purchased a 650 and recently purchased a good used 550 simply because it was a deal. The 550 generally sits on the table like a young lady at her first prom waiting for someone to ask her to dance. The Square deal priming system is like the 550's and God knows I had enough trouble with my priming system on the square deal. The 650's is reliable with the ONLY problem being having primers that as a result of operator error don't get used and they rest upon a ski jump shaped piece of plastic. To make a long story short they end up on the floor unless you equip your 650 with a different primer collection system in which case they can end up in a plastic bottle to be once again put into the primer tube for use.

The 650 always has a primer ready to be used. If you happen to screw up/ collator runs out of brass for example the primer wheel continues on around/rotates and the primer isn't used and thus falls upon the ski jump where it will generally end up on the floor never to be found again. When equipped with an aftermarket primer catcher the unused primer goes into a collection container(small plastic bottle) to be used in a future round.

The problem with the Square Deal/550's is the plastic piece on the end of the primer tube. This piece can wear, get bent, or somehow get distorted which results in primers being lost on the floor. Unless you have a number of these ends on hand it stops your reloading session.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 08-02-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    The problem with the Square Deal/550's is the plastic piece on the end of the primer tube. This piece can wear, get bent, or somehow get distorted which results in primers being lost on the floor. Unless you have a number of these ends on hand it stops your reloading session.
    I learned to order multiple of them when calling Dillon for the no-BS warranty.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

They send 3 spares of each with the SD’s, 550’s and primer size on the 1050 and won’t even charge me for extras for my 1050’s (they don’t have the lifetime warranty but I’m honest). Its not a “deal breaker” if you have dealt with priming issues on other presses but it’s not uncommon for me to change a plastic tip every year (again they are free) but I have never had to change anything on my 650’s, they just keep going.

Boolit Grand Master

I will be keeping my three 650's specifically because of the primer system.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I’ve heard Dillon was trying to eliminate primer chain explosions in the rotary priming system. The XL650 seems to have more than all the other presses. Personally, I have always liked the RL550 priming system. But that’s just my preference. An XL750 might be in my future, but I may wait a year or two...

Banned
    I've never had a primer explosion with my 650 and to be honest I really think you would have to be treating it poorly in order to arrive at an explosion. I think if your capable of setting off a bunch of primers in your 650 then maybe you shouldn't be reloading on any machine.

Boolit Buddy
    There are a few upgrades you can do to a 650 that help, primer catch, primer disconnect, rollers on friction parts, the priming system works great and I'm keeping mine.

While I have 1050, I use them to process brass, I do progressive loading on my 650s, they simply load (in particular rifle rounds) better than a 1050.

Mr. Morris hit the nail on the head, the priming system is as close to 100% as possible, and without 'Plastic' parts. There are very few wear parts, so the priming system lasts a LONG time.

The biggest failing of the 650 I can think of is the plastic indexing ring (an aftermarket roller bearing helps) which Dillon tried to address with a change of material, but it really needs a metal ring...
    This won't be cheap, there is quite a bit of delicate machining will have to take place, but I think worth it if you load thousands and want to keep your machine working continuously for decades.

I better start buying up 650 machines & parts...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I'd question an "adios" for the SB, 550 series, as well as 650 series. To my way of thinking, it's too expensive for a new-be, with one Dillon pictured @ $1,318.00 -- and persons like me may very well have tooooo much divested in -- in my case -- a 550b and ten caliber conversions.
    Dillon's page URL for this is https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl75...8_1_26745.html , and I'm surely NOT going to "dis" it.
    I don't think the 750 will cause any tremblings in the ground where Mike is interred....
    BEST!
    geoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Dillon 750.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	246117
    Yeah, even the base price at $649.95 without a case feeder it's pretty pricey. Another $299.95 just for the case feeder brings it to $949.90, well above the price of the competition. I considered selling my 550 at one time and replacing it with a second 650 to have a large and a small primer machine. Like you, I have ten caliber conversions. When I looked at the additional cost to replace those caliber conversions with 650 conversions, I figured it would cost an additional $400 after selling the 550 conversions I had. That didn't include selling the 550 press and buying a 650 and case feeder. I decided to be happy with the 550 as is. It is a very solid machine capable of producing very high quality ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    You can get a LOT more reliable. My 550 was purchased new in 1991 so I know it well. I've had a 650 since 2006 and have loaded many tens of thousands of rounds of .40 and .223 on it. The biggest problem I have with it is the slide hanging up and not coming back into place with a new primer. It is IMO the biggest flaw of the machine. An aftermarket plate is available that supports the slide fully through the entire range of travel. I just found out about it recently and haven't tried one yet. Keeping the slide and everything it contacts clean and burr free is the only solution I've found. Sometimes I have to stop in the middle of a loading session just to maintain the primer slide. The 650 delivers primers in a rotating disk that is positively operated. The only times it has not worked perfectly are when I failed to empty the spent primer cup and primers backed up all the way to the primer disk and hung it up. Can't blame the press for that!

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I've never had a primer explosion with my 650 and to be honest I really think you would have to be treating it poorly in order to arrive at an explosion. I think if your capable of setting off a bunch of primers in your 650 then maybe you shouldn't be reloading on any machine.
    I've had two or three primers pop in my 650 while loading .40 S&W. It was NEVER a surprise, though. I was having trouble with one brand of primers flipping and entering the primer pockets sideways. A primer would get stuck in the pocket and the case couldn't be removed because the primer was occupying space in the priming system and the cartridge at the same time. Sometimes I could squeeze the primer down enough that the case could be removed. Those two or three times that a primer popped I had applied a lot of pressure, hence the fact that the pop was no surprise. I still jumped a little.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    The biggest failing of the 650 I can think of is the plastic indexing ring (an aftermarket roller bearing helps) which Dillon tried to address with a change of material, but it really needs a metal ring...
    That part does look like it's just waiting to break. I bought a 550 and a 650 spare parts kit to minimize down time. So far, the indexing ring has not broken. I bought the 650 used and I've loaded over 90K on it.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Good cleaning & lube, along with a roller bearing helps keep the plastic ring alive, and I picked up extras.
    When I broke one Dillon sent me three, and along with the spare parts kit it's covered for a while.

I just ordered another XL650 off eBay, ($650) just to make sure it's not like the Dillon 1000.
    If it stays in the box I won't loose anything...

No worries on XL650 parts. While the large majority of XL750 parts interchange with the XL650, the parts that are unique to the XL650 will remain in full production for warranty support.

Boolit Master

I just got the new format Dillon Blue Press. It advertised the 750, but gave no details. I would have thought that the Press would include an in-depth article about it.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast