Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: .50 cal T/C Hawken bored to .54 1 in 66

.50 cal T/C Hawken bored to .54 1 in 66

I have sent a T/C Hawken barrel to be bored out to .54 by Mr Hoyt has anybody had this done recently..He seems to come very highly recommended

Boolit Master
    I just got my TC .56 SB Bored and Rifled to .610 by Hoyt back in March.
    I am very happy with the work, but haven't had time to get out and shoot it yet.
    But looks like all the recommendations that you see about his work are valid.
    I have a couple more barrels that I will be sending to him in the near future once I settle in to my new house and shop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Theditchman View Post
    I have sent a T/C Hawken barrel to be bored out to .54 by Mr Hoyt has anybody had this done recently..He seems to come very highly recommended
    Had one done a couple of months ago, he does a great job.
    I did hand lap though for a smoother finish.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master
    Had several done by Hoyt. Pleased with them all. As with so many fresh cut bores, I'd do a serious amount of hand lapping. Shoot it first and see where you stand, but keep lapping as a possibility.

Been tempted to send one of those TC .56 barrels to him for the five groove tapered depth .577 minie rifling. Still scratching my head over it.

I had one done earlier this year TC 50 to 54. Still working out the bugs on it. I did some polishing of the bore but haven't tried it yet. I got a couple hundred rounds through it but accuracy isn't as good as I would like. Im going to keep trying different ball sizes and patches along with powder charges to try to nail it down.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

thanks lead chucker....keep me informed...as soon as this heat dies down I shall be on the range and letting you all know how it goes...how are you polishing the bore?....and why the lapping?...do you mean lapping the crown?

Boolit Master
    thanks lead chucker....keep me informed...as soon as this heat dies down I shall be on the range and letting you all know how it goes...how are you polishing the bore?....and why the lapping?...do you mean lapping the crown?
    I just got back renegade 50 relined to 45 with a 1-16 twist to see if it will shoot with my (now sold) C Sharpe 1874 1-18. Just sighted in@78 yds with a p.p. Baco .443 slick (Outstanding) and today is long range day (700yds) . I learned one thing about this barrel (no lapping required) bore is smooth ,I know after sliding paperpatch boolits down all afternoon ! I told Bob what I was doing and he came thru (BIG TIME) . I got to call him now to say thanks for a great barrel /later Ed

Boolit Master
    Ask him to bore the rifling same depth as the 1987 vintage CVA's - if he can duplicate that exactly you will have a superbly accurate easy to load for barrel - I have two of those (54 cal x66twist) - about the most versatile roundball barrel possible.

ok....I have a cpl of other Hawken barrels that I am thinking of sending him too....maybe get a real spinner for those sabots

...how are you polishing the bore ?....and why the lapping ?...do you mean lapping the crown ?

A polishing is indicated for very minor bore smoothness issues; full-length lapping (with a lead lap) is for bores with more serious issues of smoothness (chatter marks from the rifling head during manufacture, corrosion, minor pitting, etc, etc).

Polishing & lapping go to making the bore easier to load, stop patches being torn on loading, and for smoother boolit travel upon firing.

Crowning goes to improve the barrel's accuracy.

Crowns are never really lapped, they are usually re-crowned with a chamfer bit to restore the muzzle to a perfectly round shape the releases all sides of the projectile equally (for best accuracy.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    I had him make me a 54 cal. barrel recently, 1:28 twist for a Hawken I'm building. Took about 2 months. Outside is finished very nicely and he cut the dovetails where I wanted them. Very reasonable price.

Pietro.....That sounds like a lot of work for what I thought would be a finished barrel

Boolit Master
    The Barrels are Finished.
    You are just Fine Tuning them by Lapping them or Polishing them.
    Wouldn't you Polish a brand new rifle barrel, either being a Replacement, or one on a Factory Rifle ?

Boolit Master
    Pietro.....That sounds like a lot of work for what I thought would be a finished barrel
    There"s machine work and then there"s hand work ,you paid for machine work ! Hand work is paying a machinist to do hand work and in Bob Hoyts case he does good work /fast turnaround at a (very) modest price . He does more if asked at more cost and if you need I have folks I can recommend if money is no object and you want to be become a competitive shooter having the very best barrel to make it possible/PM me Ed

All "new" barrels are not created equal...……………

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

OK then....Money is definitely no object to me...I simply dont have any...lol...seriously ...thanks for all your advise I do value it a lot....