Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee Bullet Feeder

Lee Bullet Feeder

Do any of you guys use a Lee Bullet Feeder?

I have never used one but would like to attempt to get one working with the RCBS Green Machine. I don't need the "auto" rod connected. I can manipulate the latch manually each time for now. I am just curious if it will work with any die or does it have to be a Lee bullet seating die. Also, can it be used with lead bullets?

Attachment 246051

Boolit Master
    The newer Lee dies are shaped like this I think to work with the bullet feeder.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FC4B5DA-952F-4713-AD30-42EC2D67BF26.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	246052
    I think Dillon might have copied them.

I use them on 380,9 and 45 you need to use the lee bullet seating die as it is Tappered to accept the bullet feeding fingers to set the bullet straight into the seating die. Doing it manually works great. I have mine set up for auto on a Dillon 550. I also set one up on a buddy’s 650 but he likes to do it manually.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks Guys!!!

Boolit Master
    I ONLY use it in the manual mode. Really helps to get the bullet properly lined up for seating. With age, I tend to shake doing small muscle tasks and found it hard to place a 9mm/.38 bullet square on the case.
    Also, using it manually keeps you from having to pick up bullets after going past an empty space on the shell plate, as when it automatically cycles, it comes back where there is a bullet waiting and the fingers drop the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    I ONLY use it in the manual mode. Really helps to get the bullet properly lined up for seating. With age, I tend to shake doing small muscle tasks and found it hard to place a 9mm/.38 bullet square on the case.
    Also, using it manually keeps you from having to pick up bullets after going past an empty space on the shell plate, as when it automatically cycles, it comes back where there is a bullet waiting and the fingers drop the bullet.

Got it up and running today

Boolit Master
    That is slick ,the press looks great good job.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Got it up and running today

Nice setup
    I use one on a single stage for bullet sizing, ground an angle to the sizing die too.

The reviews I read before buying it said the fingers loose their gripping tension with use so I added a spring to the jaws before even using it.
    That might be a fix for you in the future!
    Here's a pic of it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BigSpringS.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenstone; 08-11-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Awesome guys, thanks!!! Keep those "fixes" coming in for future use.

Boolit Buddy
    That's actually pretty slick!
    I see you check to see/feel for the bullet placement before seating, something I wish I could do on other feeders.

Banned
    Possible suggestion, figure out a "stop" so you don't have to guess how far to push the boolit in for feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Possible suggestion, figure out a "stop" so you don't have to guess how far to push the boolit in for feeding
    Played with that for a while, I'll get back to it. The problem with the 44-40 is I don't like to have a large expand step which reduces the case life. A "stop" is easy, just fabricate a plate to the bottom rear of feeder rail and attach it to the existing screw with a nut.
    Over extension allows me to line it up as needed. Unlike some thicker cases, the thin 44-40 case with buckle rather than "shave" a little lead with not perfectly straight or "bulge" the case neck. The Lee bullet feeder is actually a little slower than the RBS Green Machine bullet die BUT I like the roll crimp option as well as the fourth die being the Redding Profile crimp die as needed. One thing I HATE doing is messing with the GM once everything is set. I am using the Lee auto disk powder hoppers so I can swap them with no trouble at all.

The machine is not for speed and there are a few items that cause it to be slow. 1. The powder "jumps" out if the case when it snaps into the next detent for the bullet to be seated. No way to fix it due to the high level where it sits in the case. 2. Bullet seating is a slow process with my application. I can still load faster and just as safe with it and I don't want anything else. I am weird!!

It is by all means a "rhythm" using machine!!!
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-13-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Will still give a loaded round every pull , just don't runum in your Gatlin gun .
    It's great you made it work in 44-40 quite an accomplishment.