Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truck tires

Banned
    Idaho45guy,

I don't know what a Les Schwab is, must be a western chain?

The cost spread for tires ordered over the internet verses what I can buy them for locally is not as extreme as your example. I don't doubt you at all, but there may be a huge difference in tire prices in western states as compared to eastern U.S.

Several of the smaller local dealers can match internet prices or even sometimes beat them. Tires have become very expensive so I do the math and shop when I need tires. Most tire shops will charge considerably more than their normal rate to mount and balance tires you bring to them verses tires you buy from them. I can't say I blame them. Tires are difficult to ship and take up a lot of storage space. If a shop doesn't have the tire you want, just about any shop can get a set overnight.

Tires are not something I buy on a whim. Unless I've suffered some type of sudden tire damage, I have time to research and plan tire purchases. Back "in the day" (when I had very little money) I would buy used tires at junk yards, recaps and no-name economy brands. I would put them on the wheels myself, dispose of the old tires and get the new ones balanced later. I can still do that if needed but I longer make a practice of that type of endeavor.

I've done the math and short of doing the entire job myself, I cannot beat the price of my local dealers. I have absolutely no doubt what you have stated is the absolute truth but I don't think we are in the same market.

Banned
    Try Jiffy lube, they quoted me $700 installed for Toyo open country a/t 265-70-17 they may have a better price for yours but they are 4 ply

I have a "tire guy" here locally. He recommended Falcon AT# 55K 4 ply $131snow rated or for trailering Falcon AT3 55K 10 ply $170 also snow rated

A more economical option is Nokiens AT+ 40 K 10 ply $165 also snow rated (he runs these on his work rigs)
    Last edited by Conditor22; 08-01-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Idaho45guy,

I don't know what a Les Schwab is, must be a western chain?

The cost spread for tires ordered over the internet verses what I can buy them for locally is not as extreme as your example. I don't doubt you at all, but there may be a huge difference in tire prices in western states as compared to eastern U.S.

Several of the smaller local dealers can match internet prices or even sometimes beat them. Tires have become very expensive so I do the math and shop when I need tires. Most tire shops will charge considerably more than their normal rate to mount and balance tires you bring to them verses tires you buy from them. I can't say I blame them. Tires are difficult to ship and take up a lot of storage space. If a shop doesn't have the tire you want, just about any shop can get a set overnight.

Tires are not something I buy on a whim. Unless I've suffered some type of sudden tire damage, I have time to research and plan tire purchases. Back "in the day" (when I had very little money) I would buy used tires at junk yards, recaps and no-name economy brands. I would put them on the wheels myself, dispose of the old tires and get the new ones balanced later. I can still do that if needed but I longer make a practice of that type of endeavor.

I've done the math and short of doing the entire job myself, I cannot beat the price of my local dealers. I have absolutely no doubt what you have stated is the absolute truth but I don't think we are in the same market.
    Wow! That would be great to find reasonable prices at local shops. Seems like everyone tries to gouge their customers out here.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link that's a good price
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

read the sidewall
    buy American
    just my 2 cents

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    read the sidewall
    buy American
    just my 2 cents

Michelin - France (and Michelin owns B.F. Goodrich & Uniroyal)
    Bridgestone - Japan
    Continental - Germany
    Hankook - South Korea
    Kumho - South Korea
    Pirelli - Italy
    Toyo - Japan
    Yokahoma - Japan

There are a few U.S.A. owned tire manufactures like Goodyear and Cooper but I make purchasing decisions on price and quality. If it happens to be made in the U.S.A., fine. I doubt even the American owned companies manufacture all of their products in the U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    read the sidewall
    buy American
    just my 2 cents

It's why I buy Cooper.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    It's why I buy Cooper.

redhawk
    In addition to their U.S.A. manufacturing facilities, Cooper manufactures tires in:
    Melksham, England
    Krusevac, Serbia
    Quindao City, China
    Kunshan, China
    El Salto, Mexico

We live in a global economy.

http://coopertire.com/about/faciliti...ing-facilities

Boolit Master
    Cooper was bought out after the last work stoppage by a firm in India. No longer American owned.
    https://leftlanenews.com/2013/06/12/...d-cooper-tire/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Cooper was bought out after the last work stoppage by a firm in India. No longer American owned.
    https://leftlanenews.com/2013/06/12/...d-cooper-tire/
    That deal collapsed
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...es-apollo-deal

Banned

anymore its nitto or coopers for me.

Banned

I like the Coopers
    Got their 6 ply ATs on my F150
    Love those tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12