RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: PC and Old Rough Bores.??

Boolit Buddy

PC and Old Rough Bores.??

I cruised through the threads and didnt find what I was looking for, How does the PC work in old worn and lightly pitted bores? I'm talking bores you would find in 100+ year old rifles, 40-82, 25-36, 38-55 types. What kind of bore residue/fouling is to be expected and how would it be removed from the deeper bore roughness? I have bore lapped the 25-36 and 38-55 and they shoot well enough with jacketed with the expected bore crud, but I wondered what deposits from PC at 1500 fps or lower would accumulate or if its worth the effort.

thanks

Boolit Master
    I would suggest you plug the chamber and fill the barrel with either "Evaporust" or "Kroil Oil" and let it set for 24 hours. If there is fowling other than rust Kroil will get under it and loosen the debris as well as the rust. Evaporust works better for just rust. Empty and give the barrel a good scrub with a bronze bore brush. Pulling a copper thread out of a copper Choreboy pot scrubber and tightly wrapping the bore brush with the copper thread makes the brush a tighter fit and increases the cleaning ability. Check the pot scrubber with a magnet as Chinese made pot scrubbers are just copper colored steel and not copper!
    I would not expect a properly coated and cured PC bullet to not leave any residue.

Vendor Sponsor

If any PC residue was left Bore Tech Eliminator is the only product we have found that gets this out easily and quickly
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    My 1903 30-40 Krag, with its sewerpipe barrel,
    shoots the Lee 150 (powdercoated and checked and with
    a finish coat of JPW/LLA) quite accurately.
    I'm shooting it at around 1400 fps and
    do not notice any residue.

120 years and still shootin'. Go for it !

Boolit Buddy

FredBuddy, thanks, you actually found the question and supplied an answer. what is JPW/LLA?? I may have to try some PC stuff in the 38-55, Missouri bullets seem likely.

The 86 win 40-82 is 129 years young, the 25-36 and 38-55 are 1893 Marlins and 100+
    I have the 40-82 down to a half dollar group at 50yds with 300 gr Penn 41 mags, but the steel buttplate is almost a deal breaker...

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot quite a few Missouri bullets & like them but I think they only offer hi-tek coated in coated bullets. There is a difference, can't say which is better, I shoot both. Never found residue in barrel from either.

Boolit Master
    I use Johnsons Paste Wax and Lee Liquid Alox
    for lube 50/50, hence JPW/LLA, for naked boolits and
    sometimes powder coated boolits.
    Learned it here.

Boolit Buddy

I tried the HI Tek 249 gr-.379 dia. bullets from Missouri bullets in the 38-55 this weekend . 249 gr, 3031 powder, no filler, 1350+- vel. and a Clean bore to start, 20 shots on the 100 meter pig, missed a couple but mostly hit steel. Back to the shop and cleaned the bore after a look see with the bore scope. Not to cruddy, normal powder fouling but not a significant amount of lead . A few flakes on the patches prior to the brush being used and a little bit more after running the stiff brush through, not bad for the age and condition of the bore. I will try a different test with a SPG lubed Hi Tek and filler and see what results I get. Shot the match with the 110 year old 25-26 with jacketed 117gr (really rough bore, but counter bored) and got 31 . I dont think I'll try cast in it, just toooo rough, took more effort to clean than the 38-55.

Boolit Master

I've shot quite a few Lee 312-155s, PC'd with Smoke's Carolina Blue, and sized .314 in a 91/30 Mosin with a typical wartime bore (clean lands with visible tool marks in the grooves) and have yet to observe any significant residue build-up.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy

I would be a happy camper if some of my bores were that good, I just dug out the Savage 1899 in 32-40 to see what can be done with it, and haven't got a .323 dia bullet in the house. rats.....

Boolit Master
    SOF:

PM sent.

Boolit Master

One caution

LOVE EVAPO RUST. But it removed BLUING too!!

Go ahead. Ask me how I found out...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

I got to the range today, the Hi Tec 38-55 on paper did well, the bore looked OK and cleaned right up.
    On the other hand, the 95 winchester 30-40 with the #1 Mosin Hi Tecs was no good at all, zeroed with the Brit ball bullets and then went to the Mosin Hi Tecs, no joy, muzzle is fouled with lead, looked like a bad solder joint. I guess I'll stick to the surplus ball bullets. The Win 92 32-20 shot the Hi Tecs OK, but it has a good bore, old gun, new Winchester barrel.

The 1899B 32-40 did the best of the old bore rifles, 170gr Hornadys, didnt have any 8mm cast, went into 1.5" at 50 yds, Me likey... The 95 win 405 win and the Marlin CB 45-70 did their normal ragged holes.

I guess I'll have to tinker some more before I am convinced, next levergun match on the 8th, that will test the 38-55