Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Crosman (Benjamin) 392 and Williams Peep?

Boolit Master

Crosman (Benjamin) 392 and Williams Peep?

Hey Guys and Gals!

I am looking to get a fairly inexpensive air rifle that I can plink and shoot garden-raiding squirrels with. After looking around, I kind of settled on the old style Benjamin .22 Multi Pump guns.

In researching them, I see that Williams makes a receiver sight for them, but its listed as fitting the Benjamin 342 and 347, not the 392 and 397 (current models).

https://www.crosman.com/benjamin-392-22

Above is the link for the gun I'm looking at getting, but it only shows the scope intermount under the accessories listing.

I guess overall, I have 2 questions;

1: Is the Benji/Crosman a good choice for a general purpose air gun/ are there any better choices

and

2: Will the receiver sight fit the newer models? They are D&T'ed for it by the look of the picture.

Thanks!
    Chris
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master
    Yes and yes. The 5D-SH is the sight you need. I have a couple of them, and they work for both the older (342) and newer (392) guns as well as Sheridans.
    Last edited by Tracy; 07-30-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Here are a few thoughts: first off I do have a 392, while it is accurate it does require some 'strength' to pump it up past five regardless of what 'technique' you use. I would suggest getting into a Crosman 1322 and add a few options like the steel breech, 14 plus inch barrel, carbine stock, larger port, flat piston etc. The list can be quite extensive, check out the barbie sites (e.g. Airgun Depot, GTA, Alchemy, etc.). What I like most about it is the fact that it is quite deadly for tree rats with a mere 10 pumps (easy for us older farts). Note the steel breech begs for a red dot or low power scope. If you scope it, be sure to get the high rings to facilitate loading the pellet. Accuracy with the Crosman barrels is very good and is pellet dependent just like bullets. Ps my 392 wears a scope, it was a cheaper solution for me.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

I love my 392 with a Williams peep for plinking. 4 pumps and it makes a nice wack on steel cans. As mentioned 8 pumps takes some muscle and would get old for plinking. I prefer CCI quiet 22s in a scoped rifle for tree rats.

I've shot 3 Rat's in the back yard with my William's peeped 392 and with 8 pumps they make a bounce and drop dead. I like mine , I later bought an older used one and an older model 1400 , both very nice.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

I used a Williams peep sight on my 392 for the first year I had it to hunt squirrels with. I’ve since mounted a scope, but the peep sights are still on it also.

I had no problems dropping squirrels right where they sat with the peep sight and could hold good groups even at 50 yds. with it.
    My only complaint was the comb is a bit high for comfortable iron sight shooting as I had to “crawl “ forward on the stock to get my line of sight low enough to see the irons or the peep sight.
    Nothing a bit of sanding and refinishing could’nt take of though.

Boolit Buddy
    Scope mounts for 392/397 - seems to be variations in the age of the rifle and clamping around the barrel.

My 392 is 15 years or so old and I put a Williams rear peep on it shortly after getting it. Screwed on fine. The 392 is a good all around gun but pumping does get old for target shooting.

Boolit Master

GREAT RIFLES!!!

Yes good on the use of the williams peep sites!! Newer models where tapped for them
    Older ones need to be drilled and tapped. Factory front site is fine for such use.

The variable power is part of the appeal!! 8 Pumps isnt needed as much as one thinks unless distance is a issue. 3-4 pumps is fine for target and plinking. 5-6 kills most small critters with authority.

If you feel you need more. Send the rifle out to MAX1 air guns in California for a “STEROID” treatment and get back a nearly 30 fpe monster!! Almost 1000 fps is what I see from my two. Timmy has a love for these and goes the extra mile to do them RIGHT!

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw