Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 450 Marlin Loads

Boolit Buddy

450 Marlin Loads

I recently acquired a Ruger #1 in 450 Marlin and a Marlin lever gun in 450 Marlin. I started playing with loads using the Lee 405 gr w/pc. So far I've only tried the Ruger. My alloy comes out at 392 and they're sized to .460. 17 gr of Unique gave me 1350 fps but poor groups. 30 gr of 4227 gave me 1550 fps and poor groups. 32 gr of 4227 gave me 1650 fps and the group tightened up some.
    Does anyone have a pet load for the 450 using unique or 4227? I'm going to try a few more with the 4227 but I'm trying to keep recoil down some.
    My goal is to shoot the same load in both guns with acceptable (1.5 to 2 in) hundred yard accuracy without to much pain. I have other powders but LOTS of unique and 4227.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    try the bullet with conventional lube and a gas check.
    Also, Re 7 has worked very well in my (similar) 45-70.
    In fact, you might look in the handbooks at 45-70 loads.
    Those for the Trap Door should be mild recoil
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master

+1 for using conventional lube and a gas check and RL 7, especially for medium range lever action and Ruger #1 level loads. Lyman's CBH #4 has numerous 450 Marlin loads for various cast bullets using 4227 and RL7 (they call it RX7).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I'll try the same bullet with gc and regular lube. But will stay with unique and 4227 for a while since I have over 20 pounds of each. Today will load 19 gr unique and 31 gr 4227 if I have time. I just got told I need to go to town shopping. I need to check feeding in lever gun too.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

I saw this last night, made a mental note to get my .450M notes. Today was a new day and I forgot...... if I find them I'll holler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would probably go the other way, about 12 grains of Unique with a lubed bullet and gas check. May be what you're looking for.
    Rick

I only used 15 hrs Unique with the 340gr Lee and Lyman 405 plain bases. I used LLA and shot them unsized. I wasn't into to cast much back then so I didn't pursue it much. 50yd accuracy was about 2"or so. For jacketed bullets I used 4198 and 4320 with great results. Not much help, sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    When I load "modern lever loads" in my 45-70, my preferred powders are Reloader 7 and Ramshot Exterminator. 40 grains of either under a 405 grain bullet is not too uncomfortable. I tried almost 50 grains of IMR3031 once, then went home a pulled the rest of the bullets and reloaded them with less of the faster powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Try 36 grains of 3031. I use that load in my 45/70. It is a mid range trapdoor load. 405 gr cast bullet sized .460. Does great out to 200 yds. Wallacem in Ga