Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Should I pickup a FREE in-wall convection Oven? Use outside?

Boolit Buddy

Should I pickup a FREE in-wall convection Oven? Use outside?

Realized I bought a too small toaster oven and since I want to coat and bake as much in a single time, I've been looking at full size ovens.

There's a free convection In-Wall oven about 40 minutes from my house. Would this be ok to use outside free standing? Maybe maybe a simple stand for it? Figure free and could cook a lot of bullets in it.

Boolit Man
    Yes that would work.
    I use a standard free standing oven,works great!

Sure it will.

Maybe set it on bricks or something, but it'll do fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have a build in oven I placed under my reloading bench I use to dry brass and PC I grab it while you can. You will have to mount it I sure because when you open the door it will till forward.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned
    Remember you'll need 220 to run it. I've bought some nice sized countertop convection ovens at thrift stores for <$20 still see them regularly but must say no (have 4 convection ovens ) [ never run more than 2 at a time

You should be able to bake a lot of boolits in it at one time.

Layer the bottom of the oven with fire brick, they will retain heat and help the oven return to temperature faster and help (not stop) it from tipping over.

Boolit Buddy
    My oven is a 24" wall oven (non convection). It rests on a 4x8 plywood bench with nothing else under it. Remember it was designed to fit into a set of cabinets. Never had any problems with tipping or otherwise. I did finally convert to PID control and it works great. Wish mine had been free. Paid $50 and had to drive 50 miles each way to pick it up.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a built in convection as a stand alone on a wire food stand in my garage. It is heavy enough and will not tip over. I keep extra racks and stands on top when not in use. It works great !!

Boolit Bub
    Is this really a question?

I have a small toaster oven I have been trying PC’ing with. I can already tell I need a bigger one!

Boolit Buddy
    Well it is a 220v unit and I don't have that in the backyard where I was gonna put this. I have several 220V in the garage but really no room for it in there.

I think I have to pass and pickup this Oster extra large oven for $50. I can run this one and my smaller oster and probably have about 2k baking at once.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails khjBmdZTthzJ9qrazK9ZbM-480-80.jpg  

Vendor Sponsor

I have had that exact same oven for over 2 years now .. Great PC Oven .. Just make sure to use a GOOD Thermometer to check the digital readout.
    Almost all these oven are off Actual temp.. Very consistent in heating just readout is not the actual temp. Example mine reads 375 to hit an actual 400
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I have the Oster convection oven with dials rather than digital. Great oven and you can do a bunch of boolits with it. My dial is off about 25 degrees higher than it says.

Boolit Master

I use that oster , set at 450 and check thermometer , after it gets to temp. I drop setting down to 400 for rest of the bake , using stainless pans with silicone mats am averaging 200 plus depending on caliber per pan

Boolit Master
    Met a fella to buy the Oster you see in the above posts. Backup thermometer to ensure accuracy of the built in digital control is a must. I drilled a hole for a digital thermometer TC between the shelves opposite the convection fan. It takes a full 8 minutes to go from 375- 400degF.

That fella had a homemade convection oven 3 feet wide by 5 feet tall on rollers. You could mount yours in a cabinet on rollers and most now a days pull about 30 amps so 10-3 would work but 8-3 would be better depending on how far out you set it when baking outside.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I cant argue with Free. I did get my full size oven for 20$ at a local appliance outlet that hauled it away from a customer after installing their new one. And they didn't make me pay until I figured out that it was operational. (I had to re-install the cord)Everything but the clock works. As far as that in-wall ? If I got anywhere close to it I'd pick it up just for the "option" of having it until something else came along, then I'd probably turn it in for scrap. Or trade it for lead.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Banned

check with your local appliance dealer. Many people get rid of ranges because a burner is burnt out of there just getting old and cruddy. Mine was my own that I dropped a can of corn on the glass top and shattered it. Got a new one and put the old one out in the pole barn. Put a piece of plywood on top and disconnected the burners so nobody would accidently turn them on. Im sure im not the only one that's busted one. Might get one just for hauling it away.

Boolit Master
    No special cabinet is needed. I got this 30" all digital convection oven from a neighbor because the all digital control was shot. Installed a PID and set it along with two toaster ovens on a metal rolling storage rack in my garage. Works great when I want to coat 5K bullets, but I mainly use it for other PC projects. These full size ovens are typically better insulated/seal than the toaster ovens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	246080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	246081

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well I must have the only cabinet mount oven that will fall forward when you open the door that just shows you how my luck is lol. Still say you cant go wrong with a full size oven in the man cave PC drying brass and I have also used mine for baking paint on items.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Well I must have the only cabinet mount oven that will fall forward when you open the door that just shows you how my luck is lol. Still say you cant go wrong with a full size oven in the man cave PC drying brass and I have also used mine for baking paint on items.
    No, never had a tilting problem, but this is a heavy oven. Try putting 75 pounds of bullets in it and I bet the problem will go away.

Banned
    Got this for $15 at a thrift store

Got this one for $20 at a thrift store
    I like my Oster large oven, $50 for a new Oster XL oven is a great deal

And the one I started with several years ago that now has a PID on it

Boolit Master
    Big is good.

I'm on my third oven,a 2,5 kW wall oven,works fine without wall lol. ...
    . Paid $50, drove an hour to pick it up. Starting out coating with a mini-toaster was waste of time for me.

EDIT : I'm using it in an unheated outside shed, our weather has it all,from arctic to jungle. No problems even in winter, it's the 2,5 kW power and multiple fans/thermostats I guess. No PID here.
    Last edited by Petander; 08-04-2019 at 06:20 AM.