Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable Reloading Set up

Boolit Master
    Clark it looks like you have got you a mobile reloading rig !
    I would probably make it more complicated than needed , was thinking of a fabricated bracket mounted in the bottom of one of the seat boxes that would accept square stock (think receiver hitch) vertically cut to height with a plate on top to take the press the post pinned to the mount like a receiver hitch , pull the pin and lay post and press in the seat box . It could be made where it could be moved outside to the vehicle hitch if wanted.
    Give me a little time I can come up with a complicated solution to a simple problem
    simpler the better if it gets the job done.

Boolit Buddy
    richhodg66,

The trick to getting a reloading press to work on such a small stand is to make sure that the load/stress is directly above one set of feet, or even better, somewhere above the inside of the foot print of all four feet. If you can figure out how to do that you will not have to worry about the table trying to tilt in the direction of the load. I used a Black and Decker Workmate for many years. I built a top that consisted of a 2.5'X2.5' sheet of 1/2 inch plywood screwed to a 2X6. Notches were cut into both edges of the 2X6 so that the Workmate jaws could clamp on the top edge of the 2X6 below the plywood so that the 2X6 could not escape the jaws of the Workmate when under a load. The press was bolted through the plywood and the 2X6 so that the press sat just above the inside of the foot print of the workmate. When it came time to store the setup I loosened the jaws on the Workmate and the top part just slide off the Workmate and was leaned in the corner of a closet. In your case, you could probably use 1/4 inch bolts and wing nuts to make assembly and disassembly pretty fast.

Gus Youmans

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Youmans View Post
    richhodg66,

The trick to getting a reloading press to work on such a small stand is to make sure that the load/stress is directly above one set of feet, or even better, somewhere above the inside of the foot print of all four feet. If you can figure out how to do that you will not have to worry about the table trying to tilt in the direction of the load. I used a Black and Decker Workmate for many years. I built a top that consisted of a 2.5'X2.5' sheet of 1/2 inch plywood screwed to a 2X6. Notches were cut into both edges of the 2X6 so that the Workmate jaws could clamp on the top edge of the 2X6 below the plywood so that the 2X6 could not escape the jaws of the Workmate when under a load. The press was bolted through the plywood and the 2X6 so that the press sat just above the inside of the foot print of the workmate. When it came time to store the setup I loosened the jaws on the Workmate and the top part just slide off the Workmate and was leaned in the corner of a closet. In your case, you could probably use 1/4 inch bolts and wing nuts to make assembly and disassembly pretty fast.

Gus Youmans
    I have two possible solutions to this. First is to use a small, very old Pacific press I got cheap that works on the up stroke. That way, I can just step on the cross piece under it and apply as much pressure as it takes to do what needs to be done.

I have a feeling the ergonomics of that little Pacific will drive me crazy after being so used to a Rockchucker, though. In that case, I plan to mount an old Lachmiller 100 I just finished cleaning up and which works now and weighing the opposite end of the stand down. Among my folks other stuff I found were two 40 pound dumbells I made as a kid with one of my dad's lead pots, range salvage and a couple of pipe sections. I was surprised Dad never cast bullets out of them at some point, but laying those across the opposite side cross piece ought to hold that little stand down.

I just ordered one of Lee's systems for quick change out of loading tools and I will try that. I'd like to be able to use Lyman 450s and my Lee load alls for shotguns on this stand as well. I need to get this figured out before the three months of cold and dark all the time sets in.

The RCBS partner press is a nice size for a portable setup, as long as you are not trying to do any major resizing.

I had mine mounted on a piece 1" plywood about 2" bigger than the footprint of the press, then used a "C" clamp to attach it to different surfaces.

I also had a powder measure stand mounted the same way for a portable set up

As I read this I understand that you have 1. Harbor Freight Tool stand, 1. Lyman All American Turret press and 1. old Pacific C press. Without knowing what your storage arrangements are for this the way I would proceed is this. 1/2" cabinet grade plywood that has 5 plys. Home Depot or Menards sells handi panels that are less than full sheets. I would cut this to length and then wider than the 22" width just to add some top space. X2 so that you can laminate the two pcs together. This will give you 10 plies and should be quite ridged. I would then drill and bolt it to the stand with carriage bolts.

For the presses I would mount one at each end facing the end. The All American as I recall should sit flat and be able to be bolted back from the edge. The other press is tilted as I recall so that will help offset the loading force somewhat and help eliminate tipping. Both presses can be mounted to the top by thru bolting and using Tee nuts under the top, they work very well. With both presses mount on there it should be very stable.

Just a quick thought on how I think I would approach this.

Boolit Master
    Here is a link to an older thread about if you searched you may have already seen it.
    Several people describe portable stands they made and had good service from.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-press-stand

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    My requirements are getting easier.

I started handloading in 1999 with a Rock Chucker. I was full length resizing. I need a 100 pound bench or one lag bolted to the wall.

Then I got a couple of Co-Ax presses that require much less force on the handle for sizing.

Then I mostly quit reloading and mostly just handload new brass. That can be done with a pair of lightweight RCBS Partner presses.

Here is my portable setup Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1536.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	247378

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post

That looks handy!
    Have you used it much ?

Boolit Master
    I bought one of those portable press stands from Midway some years ago when I was living in a trailer. I had a Lee O-press on it and it did okay. When I bought my double wide I had a dedicated room in the back that had a Sears work bench I used to mount my stuff on, as well as my gun cabinet, a powder storage cabinet, an old and heavy book case that held loaded rounds plus my corner computer table, big Dell computer and new office chair. I suspect it was a "man cave" before the term became popular.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post

Gunners Mate,

That is one very tidy stand. I like it much!

I built one from 2x4’s back in ‘75 when I started loading. My venerable RCBS Jr sat atop it until I got my very own man cave about 8 years ago. I thought my version was “cool”, well I am flat footed embarassed of my stand in comparison to the above pictured submission.

Well done!

I did build a metal stand for a shotgun loader using a worn farm disc blade for a base that works well but the above still beats it as well IMO.

Gunners Mates stand stirs my noggin quite a bit. On my wood stand I added a couple of attachment points for the powder measure and a diy brass tray. The advent of universal press and other tooling quick mounts can extend the usefulness of GM’s stand. The stand becomes more storable with a quickly removable detachment capability.

I like working with steel. Give me some appropriately sized welding rod and disc grinder and cut off wheels etc etc and prepare for some sparks!

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-27-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I have used it quite a bit for R&D Load Development, built it back when everything dried up after sandyhook to cut back on waste in Load Development, now I prep brass take it to the range and do my R&D there powder thrower mounts on side press, dies, scales, chrono and powder thrower fit in a couple of knock off Sams Pelican style cases
    Last edited by Gunners Mate; 08-27-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    My portable stand came about so I could handload in the first place. No where else suitable to mount my press existed until my man cave was built. Range wise I shoot right here on the ranch so I am blessed there.

All this portable stand discussion got me all nostalgistic and I dusted off my old portable unit and bolted a spare RCBS Jr on top of it. 30+ years of history there.

We have our summer weather going and I started going through a 150 rounds of 7 mm Rem Mag a stranger’s handloads to pull acquired in an estate sale. I use a hammer puller but if you seat the jacketed bullets a bit deeper they slide out a lot easier. With my portable stand I get to watch Mother Nature and get a bunch of primed brass and bullets to use and fertilize the lawn all at the same time.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12