Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Reloading Set up

Banned

Portable Reloading Set up

This has been discussed before. I got a small, Harbor Freight grinder stand from Goodwill for five bucks, one like this; https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

I have a 2x10" cut to fit the top I will bolt down to it.

A few years ago, I picked up a little Pacific C press, very old, from a gun show cheap. I'm in the process of cleaning it up. It is a small press, with only two bolt holes for securing it down and it works on the up stroke ( I think it's reversible). I figured working on the up stroke would alloy me to put a foot on one of the cross pieces of the grinder stand thus eliminating the need to weight in down.

I was thinking on the other end of this stand mounting the Lyman All American Turret Press I just got, which is pretty heavy. If I decide I don't like this little Pacific press (ergonomics of it will take some getting used to) I may mount up an old Lachmiller 100 I have which works on the down stroke like most. If I do that, would I need to weigh down the opposite end of the stand? I have a couple of 40 lb dumbells I could set across the cross piece on the opposite end.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. When Winter gets here, I want to spend evenings reloading instead of watching TV when it's too cold to load out in the unheated barn.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee Hand Press for portable use.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I use the Lee Hand Press for portable use.
    And I have in the past as well, just would rather use a real press. In Winters past, been too easy to waste time in the evenings when it's too dark to shoot and too cold to stay out in the barn long. The end state of that is, when I have some day light after work, I'd rather have ammo all loaded and ready to shoot so I'm shooting and not reloading.

Depends what you mean buy portable. Lee press is ok, but they sell truly pocket sized tools that do it all. Depending on the calibers you want I know lyman makes hand tools. I have an original tool from the 1800's for my winchester that I can reload out in the bush with.

Boolit Master
    If you can bolt a piece on each side of the legs of the stand so they will take the load to the floor out past the front of the press to take the load on the down stroke and put you feet on them for the up stroke just need to be long enough to get your feet on while sitting down. Bolt to the sides of front and rear legs. A 3 leg stand is more stable than 4 because because you don’t need to level it.
    Last edited by onelight; 07-28-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Boolit Master

I purchased the Lee Stand. Works excellently. I got it to reload in the house. Wife gets mad when she doesnt see me for a few days even though i am home. No i can reload any where in the house.

If you can mount a quick change base to the stand (pick your brand). Then you can easily swap to what ever press or lubrisizer you need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rcmaveric; 07-29-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I purchased the Lee Stand. Works excellently. I got itnto reload in the house. Wife gets mad when ahe doesnt see me for a few days even though i am home. No i can reload any where in the house.

If you can mount a quick change base to the stand (pick your brand). Then you can easily swap to what ever press or lubrisizer you need.

I have a Lee portable stand to , it does work well I find it works best if I get the back leg against something solid . I do all my loading on 3 presses on portable stands the Lee and 2 home made .
    Last edited by onelight; 07-29-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Banned

Does that quick change bracket Lee makes work pretty well? Looks like you only have to buy the one bracket and then make the base for each tool you want to use from 3/4" plywood, is that correct?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Does that quick change bracket Lee makes work pretty well? Looks like you only have to buy the one bracket and then make the base for each tool you want to use from 3/4" plywood, is that correct?
    It works well , but I don’t know if I would use the wood plates on much of a load I would be comfortable with a bench primer on one. You can buy the steel plate that mounts to a press separately from the whole kit. I am also going to replace the 4 Phillips screws that lock the 2 together with Allen screws. I have found it to be a very sturdy mount.

If interchangeable plates is the desired method, and you always have your drill handy like me, it's easy enough to use some scrap plywood or 2x8 and a few screws. In fact, I add and remove my case trimmer to my bench with 1" drywall screws turned by a screwdriver. Once you run them in and out a couple times they move easy and it only takes 30 seconds for three screws when I want my trimmer.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee plate system and only have 2 plates as I bought an extra plate to start with. All the rest of my "plates" are made out of Oak 1x8 material & I have had no issue with anything cracking/breaking. I really like how easy it is to change from one press on the bench to another. When not in use, I just keep them all on shelves.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

This is good to know about that Lee system, guys. Does anyone know if those bases are big enough for a Load All shotgun reloader? I have several different tools and only so much bench space.

Boolit Master

I use the wood. Lee has template you can trace out and the cut out. Works good enough for my constant use.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

This is good to know about that Lee system, guys. Does anyone know if those bases are big enough for a Load All shotgun reloader? I have several different tools and only so much bench space.
    Lee has template for a wood plate to specifically mount the Lee load all.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    It sounds like you will be putting together and tearing down between uses... one thing you might look at is the Black & Decker Workmate. I have one of the lightest ones with a Mec 600 Jr mounted on a piece of plywood and clamped to the work surface. I am planning to add a second “top” with a press for metallic loading. IIRC, there is a picture of this type of setup in a post in the Stickies at the top of this page.

Anything less than this and I would be going with the Lee Hand Press or better yet Randy Buchanan’s hand press.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    If interchangeable plates is the desired method, and you always have your drill handy like me, it's easy enough to use some scrap plywood or 2x8 and a few screws. In fact, I add and remove my case trimmer to my bench with 1" drywall screws turned by a screwdriver. Once you run them in and out a couple times they move easy and it only takes 30 seconds for three screws when I want my trimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    It sounds like you will be putting together and tearing down between uses... one thing you might look at is the Black & Decker Workmate. I have one of the lightest ones with a Mec 600 Jr mounted on a piece of plywood and clamped to the work surface. I am planning to add a second “top” with a press for metallic loading. IIRC, there is a picture of this type of setup in a post in the Stickies at the top of this page.

Anything less than this and I would be going with the Lee Hand Press or better yet Randy Buchanan’s hand press.

Froggie
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I use the Lee plate system and only have 2 plates as I bought an extra plate to start with. All the rest of my "plates" are made out of Oak 1x8 material & I have had no issue with anything cracking/breaking. I really like how easy it is to change from one press on the bench to another. When not in use, I just keep them all on shelves.
    Well there you go, I used some scraps of birch plywood I should have used solid hardwood. I had visions of 30lbs. Of cast iron falling on my feet

I use what you a similar set up all the time because of limited space i used a grinder stand with a heavy plywood top 1ft X 33inches long but two ft. would be plenty and the weight of boollet boxes keep it from moving. I put a picture of it on this months picture thread.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Man
    Years ago I shot benchrest in the light varment class. I used a Sinclair Int. Arbor press, Wilson dies and a Harrell Powder Measure. Produced very accurate loads and rewarding groups. Of course the glued in Panda action with a Hart barrell in 6PPC was a common combination in that era. It was fun! Twenty pieces of brass would last for a couple of practice sessions.

Boolit Master
    Co-ax bolted on a board and clamped to the bench. Used a Harrell's in the past now use Custom Products powder measure. RCBS hand prime.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two RCBS partner presses in vehicle 11-11-2015.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	246299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new  birch board for partner presses and RCBS auto priming tool 7--11-2016.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	246300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reloading bench in camper 9-2-2017.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	246301

RCBS partner presses in a vehicle, in a camper, and clamped to this desk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast