Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: BACO paper

BACO paper

Buff Arms is selling patch paper, 9-lb at a price that is better than other sources. They don't list the % cotton in the description. Has anyone here used it?

I am just sticking my toe in the water of paper patching.
    Handloads: 50-70 gvt, 52-50 Spencer cf, 45-70 (-60), 45 acp, 45 colt, 44 Evans long, 44 wcf, 38-55, 38 sp, 38 s&w, 9 mm, 38 wcf, 32 colt long cf, 32 wcf, 32 acp, 30 wcf, 30 Army, 25 acp, 25 wcf, 25-20 ss, .223, 22 hornet, various percussion: Burnside, Smith, Gallagher, 36/44/69 round ball

Banned

i use fidelity onion from paper mill, works just fine. PM me if you want some samples to test out.

before ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80-528 70-487.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	245940

after ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confetti.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	245941

Those are perty. You find the paper cost effective? What's the price per cartridge?
    Handloads: 50-70 gvt, 52-50 Spencer cf, 45-70 (-60), 45 acp, 45 colt, 44 Evans long, 44 wcf, 38-55, 38 sp, 38 s&w, 9 mm, 38 wcf, 32 colt long cf, 32 wcf, 32 acp, 30 wcf, 30 Army, 25 acp, 25 wcf, 25-20 ss, .223, 22 hornet, various percussion: Burnside, Smith, Gallagher, 36/44/69 round ball

Banned

it's not so much about the cost, it's about the function. at least for me.

$10/100 sheets of fidelity onion. now listed as 10#, used to be 9#.

seth cole 8# might be good, too ...

https://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/...8aAoSHEALw_wcB

I paid somewhere around $25 per ream (500 sheets) of 100% cotton 9# onionskin. For my .45 caliber bullets I get 30 patches per sheet, that's 15,000 patches per ream. You do the math!

It gets even better with my .40 caliber, 48 patches per sheet which comes to 24,000 patches!!!

I hope to live long enough to use up the 2 reams I have. And if I do, I'll just buy more! It won't be the same paper, it's not made any longer, but there are other good papers out there.
    Last edited by Distant Thunder; 01-10-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Boolit Master
    I bought a couple of reams of paper from BACO a number of years ago. It was made by Esleeck which made the paper in both 25% and 100% cotton. Both work just fine. I wouldn't worry about it much. I use a lot of Seth Cole paper and it's 25% if I remember correctly. It works very well.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I like the Seth Cole paper in rolls, better than the sheet paper.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I like the Seth Cole paper in rolls, better than the sheet paper.
    +1 The canary yellow has become my favorite and for my shooting buddy after I introduced him to paper patching.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Lyn, I have two rifles that really tightened the groups up using the 55y. Need to get around to trying it in a couple of others.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

When our local Staples went out of business they had Seth Cole 55-W and yellow 18" X 50 yards marked down to $8.59 a roll. I took all they had 6 yellow and 8 white. It's a little harder to staple 16 cut sheets together then cut sheets but it works fine. I find the 55Y a little to thin for .004" deep grooves that lets bare lead come in contact with the land edges when the bullet obdurate fully.

Banned

what's gonna matter most for me is the paper thickness as it applies to the slick's diameter. i want the patched slick fit to the bore close to .450", yet still allow the patched slick to easily chamber without harming the paper. mostly, we'll find a paper to mate a slick and not the other way around. seth cole 55w (white) is listed as 8# while seth cole 55y (yellow) lists as 7# - there's a difference in thickness, test out both, it's cheap enuf @ $7.50 for 12" x 50 yards.

Boolit Mold
    I have used Back paper and it worked fine. Been trying different brands and thickness.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had good results with the BACO onion skin they sell. It cuts and rolls cleanly. The Set Cole paper is very good. I also have some tracing paper in pads I found at business max one is 100% cotton the other 25%. I believe they are helix brand paper.

Pay close attention to cutting your patch and its size, 2 wraps with a small gap between ends. Height up the bullet. And the fold under. You want a good tight wrap on the bullet, the PP shouldnt allow the bullet to spin or move. Most dont use a tail but have a fold under that leaves a small portion of the base showing in the center.