Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: How Can I make Large Shot (B-BBB) With A Shotmaker?

Boolit Buddy

How Can I make Large Shot (B-BBB) With A Shotmaker?

I know that the basic process would stay the same, but I'm sure that there are things that need to be taken into account for the larger pellets, and greater heat. I'll need special drippers too, I can make those easily enough, any ideas on what size the hole has to be? .040"+ I'm thinking. Anyone have experience making bigger stuff?

From the reading I have done, and my own experience, you don't. Not well anyway.

Would take higher heat, low head pressure, larger holes, and I suspect you'll get a lot of oddballs.

Better off with a small buckshot mold IMO.

If you do manage to do it please let us know how.

They sell actual mold for that stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I read somewhere that I guy wanted a custom BB size mold made by Marty's Arms, the mfg said that a mold for that size of shot would be problematic, in that the sprue would be nearly the same diameter as the pellet.

I have a new Marty's Mold in 20 cal, have not yet cast with it. But it sure looks good.

Boolit Buddy
    In all honestly I've thought of making a mold, but the number of cavities I'd need to make it worth while would be a PITA to get drilled/swaged out.

Boolit Master

Skies Unlimited molds began with size T. That might tell something.

Boolit Grand Master

T and bigger can be cast in a mold for sure. #4 and maybe even #3 can be dropped from a shot maker. It's that #2 through BBB that there is no real solution for. You would need a ton of individual cavities in a mold, not just to make production bearable, but also to keep the mold up to temp. I have yet to even hear of a wild claim that anyone has dropped #2 or bigger shot from a shot maker that wasn't a teardrop or worse.

It's one of those things, it's easier to find a way around it. The only thing I use coarse shot for is geese. Being as I don't shoot many of them, I just buy a small amount of BB bismuth. At this rate, my 10# bottle is going to be a 4-5 year supply. For lead, just go to T or F, assuming you are after coyote, fox, etc., which can be cast.

Boolit Buddy
    How is commercial #2-BBB lead produced? There has to be a good way to do it for those to be sold commercially

Boolit Grand Master

Either shot tower or swaged.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Either shot tower or swaged.
    ^^Exactly^^

I've spent hundreds of hours playing with a shotmaker trying to do large shot. I've managed to get #5 ok, but that was a lot of trial and error. Not sure if all that work was worth the effort. Most of it must have been blind luck, I documented everything I could think of, and I still can't repeat it.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I see. So, slower cooling seems to be the necessity. Has anyone tried using sub 100 foot drops? Like from the second story of a building and such?

Boolit Buddy
    I like where this is going! This will be truly the most dedicated casting forum on the Web if somebody builds a working shot tower.

Thoughts on shot tower for large shot. These are just thoughts.

A airflow up on one side, exits at the bottom on the other. Idea being to spin the molten shot into a circle before cooling.

B Mist nozzles part way down to encourage cooling before hitting water. If the shot is not solid enough when it hits I suspect it will break, deform, give you popcorn crap.

C I think you would need something like a cup with fairly large holes in it, preheated of course. And a 20 lb bottom pour pot fullly melted and up to temp.

D Farm silo maybe in the off season before corn is chopped. But you'd need power up there.
    One reason for that thought was that many silo's have both inside and outside ladders. If you needed to, you could get out of there.

E Kidde pool for your landing zone, plastic on the rest of the floor to make picking up what did not hit the kidde pool easier. Those would I suspect be rejects but could be remelted next batch.

Considering the work involved. Buy what you want from a good company like Ballistics Products in the size and quantity you desire.

Shot makers are IMO great for small shot. Borderline for anything bigger than 6's.

#4, #1, 00 buck molds work very well for most for the larger sizes. I prefer #1's myself. Easier to load than 00, self stacking, easy to get the height right. And I don't get those hull bulges.

.22 caliber buckshot I have a mold for, and have used them for air rifles. Found them just as accurate as pellets at closer ranges. Perhaps more accurate. Certainly good enough to put meat in the pot with a good head shot.

.20 I have a new mold from Marty Arms, but have been a bit busy, have not cast with it yet or tested in the Sheridan BS.
    I will post when I do. Not cheap, but pellet prices are still rising.

Good luck on your journey. Let us know if you get there.

Boolit Master

#2-BBB - Swaging, then tumbling.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish it was something that could be dropped via any Shot machine!
    Swaged. .20 and bigger only way.

We have a small sample of .175 but it Bismuth not lead. Not very round .
    Can't say it is worth doing bigger than # 6 . Some do #4s but thats it. No bigger