WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Anyone have one of these Taurus Poly Judge revolvers?

Boolit Master

Anyone have one of these Taurus Poly Judge revolvers?

I have been stricken with this “want” for a few years now. LOVE THE IDEA, as a trail/ ATV/HOUSE gun. Every time I go look at ine I put down and walk away. Too heavy, too long. That long cyl just throws me. Then I read and watch videos and get the fever again. Go back determined to buy... come to same conclusion a d walk away.

Well last year, I learned that Taurus made a poly judge. Its shorter 2.5” only and LIGHT!! Plus I like its looks! I went to look at one and they had none available. I called around and no one had one. I waited and kinda forgot. This spring I saw one but it was spoken for, But I got to handle it and it feels pretty good and I would have bought it!

I think Im aware of its limitations. I dont expect even 75’ accuracy. I know its not a shotgun. My use will be 75% Trail gun. Just to have something for defense, when not on the trail, night stand duty! I wont be carrying this, more than when I leave the SxS.

Stopped today at two shops and neither had one but I think I might have to order one. Before I do, who has one? What can you tell me? Most improtant, what should I know?

Thank guys!

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-28-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I’ve never tried a poly Judge but have shot the long and short regular framed ones. Compared to even a cylinder bored .410 shotgun the pattern sucks. I wasn’t impressed with the accuracy either. I put them in the Desert Eagle, FiveseveN, mini revolver group- neat guns that I have no use for. YMMV.

Banned
    I'm not a fan of the shotgun revolvers. I think a lot of them get sold because buyers like the idea but the guns end up in the back of the safe because the concept doesn't live up to reality.

From a marketing point of view, they were a huge success. From a practical point of view, they seem to be more of gimmick. YMMV

Moderator Emeritus

All you really need to now is that if this firearms shouts out to you, "Buy me!!!" as soooo many have done to me through the years ...and, if you have the bucks ...why not?.... GO FOR IT! Even when the reality did not prove to equal, or possibly exceed the dream -- I reckon the dollars I'd perhaps lose in trading for another were more than worth my 1st=hand experience of ownership.
    I saw one of these at a show, and dealer had a $350.00 price tag on it. A young fellow and girl were looking at it, with the conversation I heard it being a great "tent" gun while they were camping. Noted was it being surprisingly heavy (27 ounces) for its size and materials, and sporting only a two inch barrel. While I did not personally handle it, it looked like this one sported a fibre-optic front sight, which frankly gave me a chuckle -- this a 410 calibre /.45 scattergun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Judge.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	245950
    geo

Boolit Master
    I have never had a 410 revolver but do have one of 31/2” bond arms derringers.
    For a trail gun I want walnut size groups at 50 to 75’ not 55 gallon drum size.
    I like 357 to 45 that I can shoot well enough to take small or large game and be adequate for defense.
    That said , I have , and have had a lot of guns that from a practical stand point were only good for the seller . I have no illusions , some things I buy only for my own entertainment. Cause I just want one. Have fun.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys!

I was not aware of the “splodin” tendencies...

But aside from that it will likely eat 75% 410’s and Factory 41099% of that. I have t loaded a 410 in over twenty years... I do like the 45COLT allot. But for what this is I feel its best served stoked with 410 defensive ammo.

I stopped at two shops yesterday. Neither had one. I kinda want to find one used then remember its a Taurus... I swore off there revolved after my third brand new wouldn't even chanber rounds i to cylinders... (Ill have the counter guy ck that... you can bank on that!

Most of the shops round here are closed Monday or Monday and Tuesday. So Wednesday Ill Try two more near me at work.

Then decide if I just have one ordered..

Keep the stories and experiences comin they are most appreciated!!

Boolit Buddy
    We had a steel Judge. It was about as useful as bosoms on a boar hog. The pattern from a .410 shell was so poor at over 5 yards it was useless. The self defense .410 loads with buckshot or discs didn’t seem very impressive either considering the bulk and weight of the platform. It was a kludge to carry five shots of .45 Colt ammo in.

I sold it to a guy who just wanted it for defense in hotel rooms. Maybe for that purpose, loaded with number 4 birdshot, it was a worthwhile choice. I decided a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 made more sense as a gun to carry for “snakes and other varmints”. Lighter, more compact, a .44 CCI snake load is plenty potent for rattlers, and the other four chambers loaded with lead SWC loads.

Boolit Master

Gimmick gun. For decades, if you suggested using a .410 shotgun (pump or auto) as a defense tool you would be vigorously derided and ridiculed. Taurus puts it in a pistol and it's the next best thing since sliced bread! Huge, clunky and the rifling is shallow to allow a halfway "pattern" that doesn't do bullets any favors for stabilizing and accuracy.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

A good friend expressed interest in buying a Taurus Judge for self-defense. I told him that I was cleaning one for another friend and he could come over and shoot it if he wanted to. We placed a soft drink can on the ground about 15 feet away and he shot it with a 3-inch 410 number 8 shot. It knocked the can over and we counted 11 pellet holes in the can. Out in the shop I'll keep a Rossi single shot 410 above the door so I got it down loaded it with the same ammo and shot the same can. Even with no choke, the can was shredded and thrown about 20 yards distant. My friend actually thanked me for saving him some money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have read that in Brazil the Judge is sold as a smoothbore. Not legal in the USA.

It seems to me that if Taurus would rifle these things with a twist of 1:96 they’d probably come much closer to throwing a worthwhile pattern with shotshells. Hardly anyone buys a Judge to shoot .45 Colt out of anyway. There are much handier revolvers for that purpose.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    I have read that in Brazil the Judge is sold as a smoothbore. Not legal in the USA.

It seems to me that if Taurus would rifle these things with a twist of 1:96 they’d probably come much closer to throwing a worthwhile pattern with shotshells. Hardly anyone buys a Judge to shoot .45 Colt out of anyway. There are much handier revolvers for that purpose.
    Another option would be a threaded choke like the TC. Contenders.

I have shot the polymer Judge with 410 shells and 45 Colt loads. Regardless of pattern size or grouping, I found it unpleasant to shoot. I get an almost painful vibration from the polymer Judge which I did not get from the steel Judges.
    Good luck with your choice.

Boolit Master

Im gonna pass on this judge again...

This makes three times I have wanted looked and almost bought only to walk away.

Not meant to be.I am fine with that.

Thanks guys!

CW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Im gonna pass on this judge again...

This makes three times I have wanted looked and almost bought only to walk away.

Not meant to be.I am fine with that.

Thanks guys!

CW
    Watch for a deal on a used one you can have some fun with it , satisfy your curiosity and get most if not all your money back. , if we just bought what we have a real need for most of us could fit our gun collection in a shoe box instead of gun safeS and our reloading room would have 1 single stage press .

Good points here by all. I was also bitten by the judge bug and did buy one when they first came out. Here’s what I determined about it. It was no fun at all to shoot with 410 shells. Rifling a shotgun is not what you want to do. So I ended up using it mostly with 45lc which it did okay, but it was heavy, front heavy, and not that accurate. Ultimately I traded it in on a 45acp s&w revolver that by comparison is a MUCH better and much much more fun gun to shoot. And guess what, I can load my own shot shells for it, or any other rifled gun I have, and have just as useless a piece.
    So yes, save yourself the trouble and pass on the judge. Making a decent revolver be able to shoot plastic shot shells only serves to ruin the pistols performance otherwise, and doesn’t return anything beneficial in the end.