RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 7/8 oz slug questions

I guarantee Hogtamer csn kill a hog with a lee slug. I watched him do it.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I do not doubt it at all, from the size of the holes in the target I shot at it looks like they will take down about anything. Now I want to find a scope mount and scope for the 12 gauge so I can get better accuracy as the bead sight leaves a lot to be desired.

Boolit Master

Got an 870 in the house? Don't know about a scope on the Pardner unless it has rails.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I like a scope on my shotguns but then we don't have feral hogs up here in Idaho that might chase you through the brush. For target shooting they work really well. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

No better shotgun sight can be had than a Leupold 1-4x. Either close two eye open shooting to long 200 yard shots, it is ideal. Now a much cheaper, easier, and very effective solution is the Willams fire sights for a vent rib. They are rock solid. I've put them through the ringer, and they do not move. Front and rear fiber optic open sights are not the most precise sights, but they are a huge upgrade over nothing, and work well in any conditions rain or shine.

Boolit Buddy
    The pardner is drilled and tapped for a mount just not sure if its the the same as the 870. I will check into it and see what I can find.

Boolit Master
    I put a set of the fire sights on the rib of my wife's Stoeger 20 ga. cowboy coach gun. At 25 yards 3" slugs print 2" apart horizontally. A very lucky happening gives me a very cheap poor man's double rifle. A close in brushy bottom hog gun. GF

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ncmn View Post
    The pardner is drilled and tapped for a mount just not sure if its the the same as the 870. I will check into it and see what I can find.
    The problem with just slapping a scope on a shotgun is the sloppy barrel to receiver fit. It does the job for shot, with red dots or whatever the kids use these days. You can either shim your barrel, or go all out and pin it with a screw.

Boolit Buddy
    I realize the shotgun barrel to receiver fit is going to be a issue. Right now the Pardner is all I have to test with. I found Midway had the Lyman 525 on sale and had a coupon for free shipping so had to order it as well. I bought some range scrap ingots from TheCaptain and last night I casted 225 Lyman 525 slugs and they came out great. Cant say enough about how the ingots were shipped and customer service from her, will buy from her again. Also, now I have to find a load for the 525 slugs and the slug experience continues to grow.

Boolit Master

Here is the load I settled on, performs very well out of rifled gun. Has been great in the field on lots of hogs out to a measured 103 yds. Should be ok from your cylinder bore but gonna pack a wallop out of your pardner.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5-for-Boomer81
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

The lyman sabot slug is better than the Lee as far as fit. Some claim they work in smooth bores, they tumbled for me. I've seen some very impressive groups from them in a rifled barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

turbo1889 posted that the Lyman sabot slug becomes unstable at transonic velocity when shot from smoothbore. I have not shot that slug so no personal experience. turbo talked me out of buying a Mihec double cavity mould. I am of mixed feelings about that! I didn't want to spend the money if the slug wasn't going to work for me but... many people (like Hogtamer) report good success with them and I do love the Mihec brass moulds. I think if I got one I'd prefer the bore diameter version.

I almost bought one of the NOE versions too but decided I'd pass. All in all I have to think that wadcutter style is subject to tumbling just like wadcutter boolits at longer ranges. But that is speculation on my part and if spun up in 1:36" twist they should be stable.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    turbo1889 posted that the Lyman sabot slug becomes unstable at transonic velocity when shot from smoothbore. I have not shot that slug so no personal experience. turbo talked me out of buying a Mihec double cavity mould. I am of mixed feelings about that! I didn't want to spend the money if the slug wasn't going to work for me but... many people (like Hogtamer) report good success with them and I do love the Mihec brass moulds. I think if I got one I'd prefer the bore diameter version.

I almost bought one of the NOE versions too but decided I'd pass. All in all I have to think that wadcutter style is subject to tumbling just like wadcutter boolits at longer ranges. But that is speculation on my part and if spun up in 1:36" twist they should be stable.

Longbow
    They can be had from either GT bullets, or Gardiners cache. I've bought them from both, and both are quality cast slugs. They shot just fine from a rifled barrel for me, on the order of 5" or so at 100 yards. Same reason as the Lee slugs, I just kind of gave up being as the .735" balls from the same gun also shoot 5" or so at 100 yards. My thinking is a round ball is the easiest possible slug to cast, you can't mess it up. If a hollow base slug isn't more accurate than a round ball, I don't see any reason to mess with it.

Now I have seen some very impressive groups from the Lyman sabot slug that makes me think it is something worth playing with. I can't say the same for the Lee slug.

Now far removed from an apples to apples comparison, but another pellet shaped slug is the BRI slug, now loaded by Winchester. They were as accurate as can be at 100 yards, around 3" groups. I don't know at what distance, but by 200 yards they begin to tumble and take their own path. The few holes I managed to get on the board were oblong. Will the lyman slug be the same? I have never tried it to find out.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately I doubt they will ship to Canada. To export from the States requires an FFL.

I know a couple of local guys with the Lyman sabot slug mould but so far I still don't have any to try. I should just buy a mould and be done with it! Should have bought the Mihec mould. If nothing else they are beautiful to look at and use.

I just have trouble parting with money for something that might not work and that I really don't need.

My preference would be the bore diameter version from Mihec if I was buying one.

Something to think about, and some people are working with, are slugs with 3D printed attached wads/fins/sabots. The Lee slugs could be housed in a sabot that would form fit their taper and fill the bore.

The 3D printing would also work to produce sabots for a BRI type slugs or the Sauvestre slug... or clones.

Boolit Grand Master

Really, FFL to export bullets from a place that does not sell ammunition? Well, I suppose the price of shipping would have been half the cost of the mold anyway.

What we need is a mold of the Buckbuster slug. It was so simple, I can't believe it has not been copied yet. It was just a 1 ounce hollow base slug with straight .681" sides. The cavity was filled with hot glue or similar. They fit most guns with off the shelf wads, and no fuss you had an accurate load. It's been so long now I can't properly remember, but I remember them working well from a smooth bore. They certainly worked well from a rifled barrel, and remained stable to at least 200 yards.

Now that I think of it, I am going to put it up in the group buy discussion, and see if either MP or NOE will make it. I would certainly buy one.

Boolit Grand Master

The buckbuster slug is now in group buy discussion. Please comment to get the buy started.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...97#post4702797

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12