Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Mold for .308

Boolit Buddy

Mold for .308

I'm an accuracy freak....any recommendations on a mold for a 308? any weight...any brand...even LEE.
    What shoots the best for you?
    Thanks for any help

Boolit Master

Arsenal 309-188GC-PC will print sub-MOA all day at 100 yards...and right at MOA at 200...from my heavy-barrel Savage M10. However, it's a 'PC' boolit and, after coating, the driving bands and bore-rider nose must be sized in separate operation to obtain proper 'fit'. Also, that long nose may not work in some magazine; my Savage bolt-gun loves it but it won't feed from the mag of my buddy's AR-10.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Wow. I I probably shouldn’t even try me in on Nas as I have no dog in this fight (I don’t shoot 308). With that being said there’s way too many variables to even attempt an answer as far as I’m concerned! What rifle are we even talking about . Is it an AR10, a savage axis, a custom rifle, or an M14? Bolt action, semi auto , Single shot ? Distance? And the list goes on and on. Like I said I have no dog in this fight and couldn’t really answer anyway but just before the conversation get started you’ll probably need to provide a little bit more information for those more knowledgeable than I, to be able to answer that question . Not trying to be a smart Alec or anything but is far as I’m concern that’s kind a like asking what’s the best color to paint my house without supplying any additional information.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Most accurate .30 cal. mold will almost always be an Eagan, but hard to find, the Saeco or NOE #315 is a copy of an Eagan mold and a good starting place for excellent accuracy, as well as Lyman 311284, 311299, 311332, some are bore riders so they require lots of measuring, testing.

31-165B or C but it is a small meplat so more drop at distance. MOA from my AR10 @ 200, easy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I've had good results with the Lyman #314299 (about 200 grains or so in ww alloy) in several .30 caliber chamberings that include .308. I prefer heavy bullets, but the RCBS-30-180SP at around 180 grains also shoots well in .308 and other .30 calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    I'm an accuracy freak....any recommendations on a mold for a 308? any weight...any brand...even LEE.
    What shoots the best for you?
    Thanks for any help
    As mentioned, a lot will depend on the rifle it's to be used in. Although some designs are useable in various types of rifles. For best HV accuracy with a .308W I've found the NOE 30 XCB (310-165-FN) is the most accurate. For pure accuracy at normal cast bullet velocities (1500 - 1900 fps) the XCB also is excellent but the 311466, the 311467 (if the throat is long enough), the 311299 and the 311314 all give very good accuracy. Numerous others will also.

Actually, with numerous different designs of cast bullet, at normal cast bullet velocity the quality of the casting will be more important than the bullet design.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Fit is everything but what worked and fit best in my case was the RCBS 165 sil. Bullet
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

You did not say what the twist is for the barrel, also like stated did not say for semi-auto or bolt. That will help.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA